Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2008, 01:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

here is what i made in PS which i usually do to get rid of the whine and works just fine without any problem.

Ive Grounded both of the amps to 1 grounding bolt i did not face any problem doin the diy,the only problem i faced yesterday is that my boom box face plate is broken withe xcessive punch lolz.. so its under repairs
Attached Thumbnails
My weird experience with alternator whine (Alpine HU)-alternatorwhine.jpg  

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th March 2008 at 15:09.
Old 9th March 2008, 09:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

@ramie2400
sir do u need to do the same thing on the amplifier RCA sockets? do we need to ground them?
Old 9th March 2008, 11:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
@ramie2400
sir do u need to do the same thing on the amplifier RCA sockets? do we need to ground them?
No its done only on the HU RCA Pre-outs,if you try to do it on the amplifier either it will make no difference or the sound will become double .So remove the HU and put the grounding wire in the FRONT RCA and see the difference,the whine sound will vanish,just yesterday i removed the whine sound from a friends Lancer.Cheers..

The process takes hardly 5mins.
Ramie
Old 9th March 2008, 13:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
The process takes hardly 5mins.
Ramie
To be precise - 2 Mins, 26 sec's for the resident DIY champ
Old 9th March 2008, 14:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

sir,
i did everything as per your directions. i grounded the RCA sockets to the HU.
but no effect. its still there. i also grounded both the amps at one point.
still there is a minor alternator whine. how to remove it completely?
i feel it like an evil in a horror movie which is very hard to remove
Old 9th March 2008, 20:46   #51
BHPian

hey bro amt...
had a very very similar problem...
you might wanna try taking a long wire from your HU ground all the way to where you have grounded your amps in the back.
basically what i am saying is dont use the vehicle's wiring harness for the grounding of the HU. Dont plug it in right behind the HU. Pull the HU ground wire all the way to the trunk and ground in exactly the same place as your amps.
This should help you eleminate any kind of ground loop.
Try this and let us know..
will post pics of my ground setup in my car soon bro.
hope this helped..
P.S. you might wanna check this link out.

Crutchfield Tech Support: Noise Problem Troubleshooting: Whining noise
Old 9th March 2008, 21:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
here is what i made in PS which i usually do to get rid of the whine and works just fine without any problem.

Ive Grounded both of the amps to 1 grounding bolt i did not face any problem doin the diy,the only problem i faced yesterday is that my boom box face plate is broken withe xcessive punch lolz.. so its under repairs

hi ramie doing the above exercise as per the wiring diagram didnt work for me
Old 9th March 2008, 22:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
hey bro amt...
had a very very similar problem...
you might wanna try taking a long wire from your HU ground all the way to where you have grounded your amps in the back.
basically what i am saying is dont use the vehicle's wiring harness for the grounding of the HU. Dont plug it in right behind the HU. Pull the HU ground wire all the way to the trunk and ground in exactly the same place as your amps.
This should help you eleminate any kind of ground loop.
Try this and let us know..
will post pics of my ground setup in my car soon bro.
hope this helped..
P.S. you might wanna check this link out.

Crutchfield Tech Support: Noise Problem Troubleshooting: Whining noise
thanks bro, earlier i was using the cars ground cable. but yes i grounded my HU right behind the dash. but still it didnt work. today i grounded the RCA sockets on the HU as per Ramie's diagram posted above. that too didnt work. i also bolted the grounds of both amps at same place to the chassis. still it dint work.
i am observing a particular pattern. when i just start the car and move for some distance the noise is audible. but later on it diminishes a bit, audible only when i hear carefully. it comes through both the JBL speakers at the rear.
also when i blow my normal horn i dont find any noise. but when i blow my nautilus horn i hear a big " KAT" " KAT " sound. dont know why. i thing here too earthing issues creep in.
how was ur alternator whine. was it loud? what all steps did u do to eliminate it? please post ur pics.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:05   #54
BHPian

bro amit.. yes i had a very similar problem... whine got louder when i put my A/c on and also headlights.
The extra horn KAT KAT is definitely a grounding/relay problem. When you use the horn some electrical ripple is making its way back into the system.

what i did was ground my negative battery terminal to my chasis as is normal. But didnt use that grounding point for anything else.
Its a very common practice to use the same grounding point for grounding many devices like lights and horns etc.
So keep the ground wire from battery to chasis independant and dont use that grounding point in the chasis to ground anything else.

Then please do try out the the fix that i mentioned.
This does work in most cases.

Its a very simple procedure too bro .
Usually the Hu is grounded into the harness or into the body directly behind the HU.
Dont do that. Just take a wire of equal or more thickness as compared to what is used in your car's wiring harness. (fatter wire for lower resistance . Current will always take the path of lowest resistance)
Take that long wire and connect it's ground to the ground for your amplifiers in you trunk or where-ever you have grounded your amps.
hope this will help bro.
Will post pics soon . gotta go take them bro..

Last edited by Tool : 9th March 2008 at 22:16.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:13   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
but yes i grounded my HU right behind the dash
i also bolted the grounds of both amps at same place to the chassis

also when i blow my normal horn i dont find any noise. but when i blow my nautilus horn i hear a big " KAT" " KAT " sound.
amit what tool is recomending will eliminate the ground loop. try it.

the relay of your nautilus horn needs to be changed.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
amit what tool is recomending will eliminate the ground loop. try it.

the relay of your nautilus horn needs to be changed.
hello navin sir,
i changed the relay.actually i had a very good relay. still i changed it as i suspected it had gone kaput. but still the noise persists.
i will try what tool has recommended. thats the only thing remained. as i have done everything except grounding the HU to the common amp grounding.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

@ tool, thanks a lot and i keep my fingers crossed that after grounding the HU to the same point where i have grounded the amps the problem will get sorted out. it has made my life miserable. i missed out dates with my gf and had a fight with her. i will try out everything to kill the ALTERNATOR WHINE.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:34   #58
BHPian

heheheh my pleasure bro !!
hate to see a ICE lover feel miserable and sad !!! and hate anything that stands between a man and his music too . LOL
I had given up bro.. hehehe. Then a friend of mine from the states who was down said he had the same issue too and those guys did this and he was sorted.
Kill that whine .. KILL IT !!!!!

Last edited by Tool : 9th March 2008 at 22:37.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

I had a continous whine in my ford Ikon,then did alot of R&D and wasted soo much money on changing things 1 by 1,finally now when i install the system i take precautions that i dont get the whine enter the setup .

I cannot understand why the grounding the HU with the outer part of RCA is not working out?as ive tried sooo man times and it worked 1 shot.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a continous whine in my ford Ikon,then did alot of R&D and wasted soo much money on changing things 1 by 1,finally now when i install the system i take precautions that i dont get the whine enter the setup .

I cannot understand why the grounding the HU with the outer part of RCA is not working out?as ive tried sooo man times and it worked 1 shot.
this works on pio HU only when the resistors on the board that protect the RCA grounding goes kaput.
i spoke to the pio service centre. they said that pio HU have a major problem. as soon as u short something the resistors on the board just behind the RCA sockets blow off. this is true to even high ends PIO. then if u ground the RCA sockets it works. the other option is change the resistors. they cost 10-15 Rs only but cost of changing them is 300 bucks.
i hate pio for this. i think i have some other problem. i connected a brand new pio 4050 to test it whether mi HU was kaput. but that too gave a whine. that means something else is wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks