Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 00:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICEing up my Ford EcoSport

Get the full car damped, why just the doors. It's the latest in thing to do.

As for the ICE upgrade, suggest that you live with the OE setup for some time, visits some installers have a listen and then spend the cash.

Some years ago, I bought a car. Threw out the double DIN Kenwood complete with bluetooth and MMI navigation etc. Replaced with pioneer single DIN cd player & a single DIN 6 DVD changer coupled to nice components, 12" sub & an amplifier. The install sound superb and blows me away every time I listen to it

On a more recent car that I purchased, I did not bother touching either the OE HU or the speaker wires. Just riveted out the puny OE speakers front n back, popped in a sub and an amplifier and was again very happy with the results.

BUT

I am also very happy with the sounds coming from my Swift's pods which just have a pair of HAT Imagine speakers running off the stock HU.

Ok, it's not in the same league as the above two but then it's far better than gazillions of full blown installs out there

The truth is that with the passage of time the stock systems have gotten way better along with the wiring and the speakers etc. Now you have a TATA Tiago or something being offered with 'Harman' ( is it Kardon?) speakers, maybe it's the complete system.

So, in repetition of what I said above live with the OE system for some time, audition installs wherever you can then decide & even then do it in quantified steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I don't want to start a new thread for my ICE requirements, so would like to add my query to this thread. Thanks to the OP for starting an Ecosport specific ICE thread.

Coming back to my query, I am planning to upgrade my ICE and have a lowly budget of 20k. I am not sure what I need to add, or rather should add, but one thing that i would surely do is damping of all doors. Also, with this budget, After damping, will I be able to support a three way amp of decent quality, with a 2 way amp ? What other options do I have.

Also, has anyone in the forum installed a touch screen AVN in place of the ugly looking stock n-gage kind of ICE.
Old 6th May 2016, 01:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
Do you mean 2 channel and 3 channel amp?
I am actually planning to go around in quarterly upgrades of 15-20k each, till I am satisfied and Touch screen ICE is of least priority. For that, I am planning to install my Tablet on a stand with its Aux input to Stock ICE with a DAC in between.

What I plan is:
Stage 1 Damping + Speakers
Stage 2 More Damping + Amp 4 way (Will use only two to front coax)
Stage 3 Last set of Damping + Subwoofer with last two ports from Amp
Stage 4 - Depends - Not very Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Get the full car damped, why just the doors. It's the latest in thing to do.
How do you feel about my plan above ? I feel STOCK ICE is awesome for its price, however I plan to run this car for 6-7 years, so I guess I will keep upgrading stuff in sets.

Also, I dont like the stock silver color of HU's console, Can that be changed ? Is their any place in NCR that can do that ?

Last edited by ampere : 8th May 2016 at 10:27. Reason: Reduced quoted posts
Old 6th May 2016, 12:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I dont like the stock silver color of HU's console, Can that be changed ? Is their any place in NCR that can do that ?
Aliexpress to the rescue:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...042901078.html
Old 7th May 2016, 00:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I am actually planning to go around in quarterly upgrades of 15-20k each, till I am satisfied and Touch screen ICE is of least priority. For that, I am planning to install my Tablet on a stand with its Aux input to Stock ICE with a DAC in between.

Your plan sounds good. But I advice you to stay with the stock HU since it is associated with some features of the car. You have mentioned that you will be powering front coax with the amp, but why coax again?

Last edited by ampere : 8th May 2016 at 10:28. Reason: Reduced quoted post
Old 7th May 2016, 00:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Your plan sounds good. But I advice you to stay with the stock HU since it is associated with some features of the car.
Yes, That is the plan. The stock ICE is integrated with the can bus (i hope I have named the thing right), so changing the ICE is not an option, neither is the option of dashboard fabrication, as even in default setup the dash is prone to vibrating noise. I am planning to use the stock's USB port or Aux port for connectivity with a 9"+ tablet. Not sure which tablet to go for this, as there is not a single good tablet with this size and GPS onboard. (Budget constraint of 20k).

Also, this tablet setup is also just in my mind, and not a priority, might never get it, as my mobile serves me well for gps,and see no other reason to have a touch unit in car. It just adds to confusion while driving.

Quote:
You have mentioned that you will be powering front coax with the amp, but Y coax again?
Was a mistake while submitting the post from my end, I will add components in front (3-way), and Co-Axials rear.

Thanks !!!!

Regards,
BB
Old 8th May 2016, 03:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, That is the plan.
Going 3 way components need some door and dash modifications. Are you ready for that?

Last edited by ampere : 8th May 2016 at 10:28. Reason: Formatted post
Old 8th May 2016, 21:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, That is the plan. The stock ICE is integrated with the can bus (i hope I have named the thing right), so changing the ICE is not an option, neither is the option of dashboard fabrication, as even in default setup the dash is prone to vibrating noise. I am planning to use the stock's USB port or Aux port for connectivity with a 9"+ tablet. Not sure which tablet to go for this, as there is not a single good tablet with this size and GPS onboard. (Budget constraint of 20k).

Also, this tablet setup is also just in my mind, and not a priority, might never get it
Thanks !!!!

Regards,
BB
Did you guys check if the warranty will be an issue with these modifications?
Old 9th May 2016, 03:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

As long as you don't touch the stock wiring, you are safe!

Did any one tried playing an audio CD from the stock HU? The sound quality is horrible.
Old 9th May 2016, 18:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Their is not wire splicing involved. A bigger battery 65 A will be installed with multiple positive terminals. Stock Music system has 4 ports, 2 of which will act as signal input to the Amplifier. Amplifier will be connected to the front Component speakers using 2 of its 4 channels and front speakers will derive the power from the same. Rear Speakers (Co-Axial) will derive their signal and power directly from the HU.(no change in wiring here)
Remaining 2 channels of amp will be connected to Amplifier.

This is what my guy has told me. Even the battery change is not required, but just recommended.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As long as you don't touch the stock wiring, you are safe!

Did any one tried playing an audio CD from the stock HU? The sound quality is horrible.
Yes, sparing the stock wiring is the key.
One can also use fuses and fuse taps to ease the process
Old 9th May 2016, 22:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Their is not wire splicing involved. A bigger battery 65 A will be installed with multiple positive terminals. Stock Music system has 4 ports, 2 of which will act as signal input to the Amplifier. Amplifier will be connected to the front Component speakers using 2 of its 4 channels and front speakers will derive the power from the same. Rear Speakers (Co-Axial) will derive their signal and power directly from the HU.(no change in wiring here)

This is what my guy has told me. Even the battery change is not required, but just recommended.

Don't change the battery. It is unnecessary for the kind of setup you are going to have. Swapping the battery with a bigger one is recommended as the setups involve multiple Amps and Carputer setups. So please spend money on better speakers rather spending it on changing battery.

Last edited by ampere : 9th May 2016 at 22:32. Reason: Formatted post
sumanbhokray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 23:16   #42
BHPian

So I have, finally done the first three stages of Audio Upgrade in my car:

- DLS MA RZ 6.2 components Front
- DLS MA RCS6.2 components Rear
- DD Audio A4 four channel Amplifier
- DD Audio AM1 Mono Amplifier
- Focal 12" sub enclosure
- STP Damping on doors
- Mercury Premium Gold Dampening on Boot
- Scosche Converter
- Scosche Wiring

It sounds awesome now !!!
BB311 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
So I have, finally done the first three stages of Audio Upgrade in my car:

- DLS MA RZ 6.2 components Front
- DLS MA RCS6.2 components Rear
- DD Audio A4 four channel Amplifier
- DD Audio AM1 Mono Amplifier
- Focal 12" sub enclosure
- STP Damping on doors
- Mercury Premium Gold Dampening on Boot
- Scosche Converter
- Scosche Wiring

It sounds awesome now !!!
How much this setup costed you? And please give some more details about wireing.

Did you change the complete stock Speaker wiring or you have connected the new Components to the stock wiring.

And where did you mount the tweeters?
Old 5th October 2016, 01:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Battery upgrade is definitely recommended. The OEM battery has 43 ah only which is just enough.
My refrigerator works much better and longer after the battery upgrade to 65 ah.

Congratulations on you audio upgrade.
From where did you draw the power to the Amplifier?

Can you elaborate more on the installation with pictures if possible.

Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 00:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
How much this setup costed you? And please give some more details about wireing.

Did you change the complete stock Speaker wiring or you have connected the new Components to the stock wiring.

And where did you mount the tweeters?

Quote:
Battery upgrade is definitely recommended. The OEM battery has 43 ah only which is just enough.
My refrigerator works much better and longer after the battery upgrade to 65 ah.

Congratulations on you audio upgrade.
From where did you draw the power to the Amplifier?

Can you elaborate more on the installation with pictures if possible.

Thanks

Setup cost is around 75k.
Wiring : Amplifiers are powered directly thru battery using 20Amp fuses(not sure about amperage). Amplifiers power the speakers. Amplifiers recieve sound signals from the Head Unit, no wire is splice here, as the existing connection to speakers is sent to amps, from amps to new speakers - this part is the part which gets the scosh wires.
Front tweeters are in the tweeter slots on front doors.
Rear Tweeters have been mounted on the C pillar, just behind the rear quarter glass. This location gives a perfect surround sound, the only thing is that its better to get front tweeters on A pillar's quarter glass thru some fiber fabricated part. Follow the motor concepts page on facebook, my setup has been presented their along with two more Ecosport setups. One setup even has the front fabrication done.

Battery : With great power comes lesser mileage. A bigger battery will definitely supply better, but the point to note here is the increased load to charge it using the stock alternator. Also, post this upgrade my car's mileage has dropped by a KM. This is due to the increased load on alternator to supply and charge the battery due to increased current load. Right now I will keep both stock for as long as I can, and will upgrade both the battery and alternator(after market) in the future.

I will post the pics after I reach home today.

Last edited by BB311 : 11th October 2016 at 00:13. Reason: Forgot to reply to one point
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks