Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 03:50   #1
BHPian

ICEing up my Ford EcoSport

As we All very well know that driving without Music isn't a good sign. It may lead to many different scenarios.

Just think; One fine day you are driving on a Highway and you suddenly realize that you have left the fully loaded USB drive on the computer desk at Home and you got 150 km more to drive without music playing in your car. Oops that sounds terrible. That 150 km is going to feel like 1500 km for sure.

According to me, music is the only best companion you can ever imagine. Since music plays a big role in the cars, I always prefer it to sound big in my car. Yes, sound big and clear.

Now coming to the topic; I came across many online reviews on the ICE of Ford Ecosport. According to these reviews; Ford Ecosport has best in class stock music system and the topnotch sound quality. Trust me, switching on the music system was the first thing what I did when the showroom guys handed over the keys to me. But the excitement didn't last long. I could notice significant amount of details missing from the music bean played. Within no time I have made my decision to upgrade the Audio system in my playboy.

Before I start the tour, I would like to brief you about the stock audio system in the Ecosport. The Ecosport has got a feature rich in car entertainment system powered by Microsoft Sync. Sync? The Sync synchronizes your phones data like contacts, texts and music with the cars entertainment system. The sync also allows you to make and receive phone calls through the entertainment system on the go! What more, if it is paired with an Windows phone Sync will read your incoming texts while you are driving. Warning this feature is extremely dangerous if it is not used with extra care.

You will find a voice command button on the steering wheel, just press it and wait for the Sync to talk. You can ask Sync to make and receive phone calls, request for a song and many more. Missing your friend Siri? No worries! Just press and hold the voice command button on the steering wheel and she is there

Note: Your iPhone must be paired with the Sync in order to use SIRI.

The CAN bus Features: The entertainment system is connected to the car's CAN bus interface. You can customize few parameters of the car like settings for follow me home, volume for the parking sensors, speed depended volume and many more. This unit has got a outstanding feature that is emergency assist. In case of an accident the car dials out 108 from the paired mobile phone. 108 is a emergency ambulance service and works very well in most of our states. If you turn this feature off than it reminds you about it every time you start the car. Do not change the head unit you will be missing many useful features of the car.

Music system:

The 1.5 TDCI Titanium plus comes with 4 coaxial speakers and they sound bad to my ears. The highs are not crisp, the mid range, is not clear and the LFE is not powerful. Some say the Ecosport has good bass effect. True, but pump the volume up a bit and the sound starts clipping. You got 3 band EQ but no option to set LPF, MPF, AND LPF, this greatly disappoints me. Back seat passengers are not lucky enough to be a car jockey (CJ) . This system will not come with an remote control. I think Microsoft will be bringing the Sync app for Our smartphones soon. As I go deep into the menus, I was surprised by the DSP settings menu. Generally DSP is available only in expensive Amps and Head units for time alignment, but this system has it and works like a charm.

Now lets start the tour. By the end of this tour We will be harmonizing Ecosport. My first plan was to change the front coaxial speakers to components but for that I need to power them with an Amp and then adding a sub in the Trunk. Later got myself prepared to install JBL Sportstage in my car.

What is JBL Sportstage? Here is the web link for the product http://harmanaudio.in/jbl-sportstage...o-package.html

I tried to buy that in the stores but unable to find them in Hyderabad. Then I decided to grab them from Harmans web store. Frankly speaking I never got a chance to audition the JBL Sportstage. I welcome your suggestions. More updates soon.

ICEing up my Ford EcoSport-1.jpg

ICEing up my Ford EcoSport-2.jpg

ICEing up my Ford EcoSport-3.jpg

Last edited by navin : 31st March 2016 at 11:34. Reason: several small edits. upper case - lower case, spelling etc.
sumanbhokray is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:02   #2
BHPian

re: ICEing up my Ford EcoSport

As I planned to order the JBL Sportstage from the Harmans website, I thought of calling JBL and get few things clarify before I pay for this product. but JBL disappointed me. They made it very clear to me that this product will not fit in the Ecosport. They also told it was mistakenly put-up on their website and they will be updating it soon.

Gurus, Need your suggestions for setting up ICE in my car.

Mostly I will be sitting in the backseat so wanted to have components in the back and coax in the front. Wanted to know what is the best place in the back to mount the Tweeters. Or shall I keep the stock setup untouched and just add a pare of components on the parcel tray?

Best Regards

Last edited by ampere : 22nd March 2016 at 07:26. Reason: Formatted
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Old 22nd March 2016, 18:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
... Mostly I will be sitting in the backseat so wanted to have components in the back and coax in the front. Wanted to know what is the best place in the back to mount the Tweeters. Or shall I keep the stock setup untouched and just add a pare of components on the parcel tray? ...
* Don't compromise on front sound stage - use components and not coaxes. Anytime you drive the car, you will be terribly disappointed if you have coaxes. The front has designated location for components (tweeter seems to be in the door latch assembly from your pics)

* The best place for the rear tweeters is on the door pad itself - near the door latch. Shouldn't be a big problem for the installer to cut a neat hole to mount it. Alternative is on the B-pillar cladding, but only if the installer is comfortable mounting it there

* If you are sitting mostly in the backseat, mounting components on parcel shelf will give you a wierd sound stage that comes from behind you - avoid
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* Don't compromise on front sound stage - use components and not coaxes. Anytime you drive the car, you will be terribly disappointed if you have coaxes. The front has designated location for components (tweeter seems to be in the door latch assembly from your pics)

* The best place for the rear tweeters is on the door pad itself - near the door latch. Shouldn't be a big problem for the installer to cut a neat hole to mount it. Alternative is on the B-pillar cladding, but only if the installer is comfortable mounting it there

* If you are sitting mostly in the backseat, mounting components on parcel shelf will give you a wierd sound stage that comes from behind you - avoid

In that case I will go with components both in the front and back doors. But now the point is, how should I wire them to the amp sitting under the passenger seat. There's airbag written on the B-pillar claddings. Is it safe to open them?

Also advice me on Polk audio MM6501 components, are they best in that range or do I have more options to choose in that price range.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd March 2016 at 07:41.
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is this a DIY project?
Would this be a plug and play only?
I would suggest that you hear few installs before buying a speaker.
I would also suggest that you add an amp if you have spare $.

I once JBLfied my Santro and now you wanna Harmonizie your Ford.
Sam, you reading this?
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Is this a DIY project?
Would this be a plug and play only?
I would suggest that you hear few installs before buying a speaker.
I would also suggest that you add an amp if you have spare $.

I once JBLfied my Santro and now you wanna Harmonizie your Ford.
Sam, you reading this?

Hello Jkdas, I think you missed My second post in this thread.

Yes it is an DIY project and I am doing it myself. I will post the pictures once I start the project.

I have a spare JBL GTO 504 amp sitting at my home, which I will be using it to power the sub. A dedicated 4 channel amp will be installed to fire up the components. Any amp suggestions?

Last edited by ampere : 23rd March 2016 at 00:04.
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Jkdas, I think you missed My second post in this thread.

Yes it is an DIY project and I am doing it myself. I will post the pictures once I start the project.

I have a spare JBL GTO 504 amp sitting at my home, which I will be using it to power the sub. A dedicated 4 channel amp will be installed to fire up the components. Any amp suggestions?
Not updated about new amps :(
Avoid adding compos to the rear tray though ( but then why did you want it there?).
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Not updated about new amps :(
Avoid adding compos to the rear tray though ( but then why did you want it there?).

The idea of installing components on the tray is to keep the stock door speaker setup untouched. However, I have dropped that stupid idea now.
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The idea of installing components on the tray is to keep the stock door speaker setup untouched. However, I have dropped that stupid idea now.
Good. Add to door and add a sub

Start here -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...nology-18.html
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICEing up my Ford EcoSport

Quote:
... how should I wire them to the amp sitting under the passenger seat. ...
The new speaker wires would be led in from the door through the same access hole that the current wires are in. From there, lead them under the door sill, under the carpet to the place where the amp is kept.

Quote:
... There's airbag written on the B-pillar claddings. Is it safe to open them? ...
Not sure - please check with Ford A.S.S. In any case, the tweeter is best mounted on the door.

Quote:
... Also advice me on Polk audio MM6501 components, are they best in that range or do I have more options to choose in that price range.
There are quite a few components in that range: Infinity Reference, JBL, Boston, Rockford, Morel, Auditor, Blaupunkt, etc.

Polk can be shrill / bright for many. Though MM series is less bright as compared to DB series, it is better that you audition them before deciding.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 02:09   #12
BHPian

After returning back from long weekend holiday in Goa, I began the search and found a dealer in Bangalore. Harmonixx is found to be a good dealer for many popular car audio brands according to one of the auto websites.

Mr.Rahul from Harmonixx has suggested Me few brands for my setup.

1- Morel tempo 6 components. INR 19500.
2- Flux FS 804amp INR 15000.
3- Digital designs a4 amp INR 13900.
4- Image dynamics ctx 10 sub INR 13500.
guys please comment on this products and help Me choose the best for My SQ setup.

I was planning to go with polk audio MM6501 components, but Mr.Rahul has some good words for Morel tempo components.

Gurus, also point me to any good car audio dealer in Hyderabad so that I can audition some good brands there.

Last edited by ampere : 30th March 2016 at 06:46.
Old 31st March 2016, 12:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gurus, Need your suggestions for setting up ICE in my car.

Mostly I will be sitting in the backseat so wanted to have components in the back and coax in the front. Wanted to know what is the best place in the back to mount the Tweeters. Or shall I keep the stock setup untouched and just add a pare of components on the parcel tray?
Quote:
1- Morel tempo 6 components. INR 19500.
2- Flux FS 804amp INR 15000.
3- Digital designs a4 amp INR 13900.
4- Image dynamics ctx 10 sub INR 13500.
Mr. Bhokray,

If you are sitting in the back the best place for the tweeters is in the rear doors angled towards the listener. However remember this location can mess up the image for the front seat passengers as their ears may well be closer to the rear tweeter than the front tweeter.

While the components suggested to you are good I would listen to some other options just to know what the market offers at this price point. At this price point most products are well made and they sonic signature is something that differs. You should choose something you like. It is your money, your ears, and your system. So don't listen to a dealer's spiel.

For the component speakers do also look at Focal's Access series (I think the Focal 165AS is around 12K) and Rainbow's Dreamline (the Rainbow DL C6.2 is around the same price).

For the amp I would consider Audison SR. 4 or the Rainbow Dream 4 (around 15k). The only amp I know of cheaper than the DD A4 is the Focal Solid 4 or the Kenwood 1004 (both in the range of 10-12K).

In addition to this I would advise you to keep a budget for power cables (any good ISI brand will do I often recommend Polycab) and damping (any good butyl rubber based damping mat will do, Dynamat Extreme is the most popular and available).
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Mr. Bhokray,

If you are sitting in the back the best place for the tweeters is in the rear doors angled towards the listener. However remember this location can mess up the image for the front seat passengers as their ears may well be closer to the rear tweeter than the front tweeter.

While the components suggested to you are good I would listen to some other options just to know what the market offers at this price point. At this price point most products are well made and they sonic signature is something that differs. You should choose something you like. It is your money, your ears, and your system. So don't listen to a dealer's spiel.

For the component speakers do also look at Focal's Access series (I think the Focal 165AS is around 12K) and Rainbow's Dreamline (the Rainbow DL C6.2 is around the same price).

For the amp I would consider Audison SR. 4 or the Rainbow Dream 4 (around 15k). The only amp I know of cheaper than the DD A4 is the Focal Solid 4 or the Kenwood 1004 (both in the range of 10-12K).

In addition to this I would advise you to keep a budget for power cables (any good ISI brand will do I often recommend Polycab) and damping (any good butyl rubber based damping mat will do, Dynamat Extreme is the most popular and available).

Thanks a lot Navin. I will surely audition those speakers you mentioned. I have contacted few dealers in Hyderabad for Audison brand, but unfortunately they don't deal with Audison.
Can you please point Me to any dealer who can provide those amps in Hyderabad?

Yes Dynamat is on my mind. I shall damp 4 doors for now and will damp the floor and boot later. Please throw some light on high to low level convertors.

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2016 at 17:15.
Old 31st March 2016, 16:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
can you point Me to any dealer who can provide those amps in Hyderabad?
Please throw some light on high to low level convertors.
Sorry I have no knowledge of car audio dealers in Hyderabad.

Maybe you can try these.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...underabad.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...hyderabad.html

High level to Low level connectors are used to connect speaker level outputs from a HU to RCA inputs on an amplifier. These are not critical but need to be of good quality only to ensure that engine whine (alternator whine) is not introduced into the audio signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks