Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:44   #1
BHPian

I have a very bad experience to tell. My beautiful amp (alpine mrv-f345) has been ravaged !! Had given my car for service yesterday (dakshin honda). As usual I removed the faceplate so these ppl don't mess with the system. After I received my car, I put the faceplate back and switched on the system. The only thing I heard was static/noise even when no cd was present in the HU. This noise was coming only from the front speakers. Selected FM, adjusted the fader to rear but still the noise persisted but the rear speakers and subwoofer was fine. Thought the front speakers were blown.

Today took the car to my installer and showed him my problem. He removed the speakers and connected them back. And everything works fine!! The front speakers are playing good and loud.But wait...a peculiar problem was observed. Even when the volume is at level 0, the left front speaker is vibrating. Removed the RCA source from the HU/Amp, still the speaker is vibrating!! Put in a different speaker, same problem. Now checked the amp and immediately could find white spots around the RCA inputs. Water !!! Put in a different amp and this problem disappeared. Opened up the amp and could find water spots on the PCB. The amp is installed in the boot and these ***** might have washed the car with the boot open or might have washed the boot itself. Now the amp's gone for repair.

Now a few questions:
- Is this a major problem? like i said before, the front speakers are playing now but even at volume 0, they are vibrating.
- will the amp function as before i.e. has the SQ of this amp compromised now?
- finally, is this repairable?
Old 24th September 2006, 00:33   #2
ECM
BHPian

If you have the schematic diagram of your Amplifier send a pm to me so I can suggest you something on this issue else take out the Amplifier and do some cold checks on it by putting amp.meter in series to see how much Amps.it draws(compare Amps.with the working set and post results here).Seem to be a capacitor prob as fm your post it seems your fuse has not blown off,good luck dude.
Old 24th September 2006, 00:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

I really know what you feel dude. I got this done to my old CD Changer once. And to one of my front speakers recently. Luckily both survived. But I got rid of both, because I couldn't stand keeping on waiting for them to go kaput later. Now I give explicit instructions that NOTHING in my boot is to be touched, and that the boot door shouldn't be opened when washing. And I remove the faceplate and the sub when I give the care for repair anyways. If I could remove anything else I would. Grrr...
Old 24th September 2006, 01:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

wiking what stuff was running through the amp the rear speakers or the front speakers....

was it looking like the whole amp was under water or minor splashes..or major splashes....
Old 24th September 2006, 01:20   #5
BHPian

It hurts!!! Best of luck, May God save your amp..
Old 24th September 2006, 15:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes wiking, you are right, they probably sprayed your amplifier.

IMO it doesn't appear to be too bad, I am sure the service station will fix it. Do let us know what they say.
Old 24th September 2006, 18:54   #7
BHPian

Hey Wiking,

It surely is repairable, a couple of IC's and capacitors out at the most, and wud definately be repaired, thou it might cost a couple of thousand.

I reckon you should go and complain and show this to the Works Manager. Honda is a big name, the works manager will surely take a look at it. Wether they reimburse the repairing charges or not, do let it come to the notice of the Manager there so that it doesnt happen to others. a good deed towards the society!

Hope u get back ur amp fast and keepin fingers crossed u dont lose out on any output!
Old 24th September 2006, 20:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Like Sam said, it doesn't seem like it's something very major. I would think you're being let off quite easy.

For now, don't power up the system at all (or atleast the amplifier). Also please remove the engine comparment fuse for that amp.

I am surprised at the carelessness with which service center guys go about spraying the car with water. If you didn't have an engine compartment fuse, and the water reaches some part of the amp's power supply, something like this could easily result into a bonfire in your car when you start up the system.
Old 24th September 2006, 20:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Like Sam said, it doesn't seem like it's something very major. I would think you're being let off quite easy.

For now, don't power up the system at all (or atleast the amplifier). Also please remove the engine comparment fuse for that amp.

I am surprised at the carelessness with which service center guys go about spraying the car with water.
Quote:
If you didn't have an engine compartment fuse, and the water reaches some part of the amp's power supply, something like this could easily result into a bonfire in your car when you start up the system
exactly the stuff i am scared of. fitting all these amps & stuff & if there is something these guys miss, its gonna be pretty scary.
Old 24th September 2006, 22:19   #10
ECM
BHPian

Now where is wiking???:
Old 24th September 2006, 22:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

Looks like his problem is gone.....

A stupid question. Why not remove the amp and keep it for drying for a few days? Instead of giving it to some smart one to screw it further.
Old 24th September 2006, 23:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Looks like his problem is gone.....

A stupid question. Why not remove the amp and keep it for drying for a few days? Instead of giving it to some smart one to screw it further.
Because, from the symptoms, it seems like some irreversible damage is done. That would have occurred when the system was switched on for the first time.
Old 24th September 2006, 23:25   #13
BHPian

sorry guys... i was busy today and didn't have time to reply !! forgive me

ECM... highly unlikely i will be able to get the schematic for the amp. So hope the repair center gives all clear or be able to fix the amp.

LBM... only one of the channels was creating problem (speaker vibrating even at zero olume). Also doesn't look like the amp was immersed in water!! basically the amp is installed upside down, so the RCA input/speaker outputs are facing upwards. so i think water was stagnant on that side and seeped into the amp innards.

Yes.. i did put in a strong word with the service manager. he was very apologetic but told me that they handle all expensive items carefully, also said that they give strict instructions to only vaccum the boot and blah blah blah... i don't think anything will happen if i follow up with them!!

I never thought that service guys would be so careless, else i would have made doubly sure that boot was not washed. Also would have played the system in front of them as soon as i received the car.

Rudra sir... problem is not yet fixed... I shall come to know about my amps condition on Monday. Yeah... even i thought of this solution of drying the amp but it seems that since the power wire is still connected, there is supply to amp. Some of the components might have shorted in contact with water. Keeping my fingers crossed... per se the amp works fine but like i said even when no input source/volume 0, the speaker is vibrating.
Old 25th September 2006, 11:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

most likely you have leaky cap or 2 and maybe a damaged transistor. I agree it should be an easy fix by any decent repair guy. I had this happen once when in one install I had an amp under the seat and drove my car though some floods (that was 12-14 years ago). Your amp can return to normal. It's SQ might not be compromised. It's reliability however will depend on the service center's work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks