Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2006, 11:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

Another stupid question: Do speakers need "servicing"?

This is something told to me by a self professed "expert".

the 2.5 dogs I have at home shed a lot of hair, and these invariably find their way into my speakers. So this guy was over to take a look at a tv which had died on us, when he saw the dust/dog haired speakers and told me that I should get them serviced, after which they would be just like new, sound-wise.

Is there any truth to this? If so, what exactly would they do other than just cleaning them?

Lastly, my speakers are in a wooden frame with no way to open them other than pull the wood apart. So how would the dust/dog hair make its way inside anyways?

Last edited by Rtech : 25th September 2006 at 11:12.
Old 25th September 2006, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey rtech, i guess your signature has got an answer to that man, right ?

some speakers do have a vent at the back, through which dust & hair could enter. it is better to use a vaccum cleaner once in a while without damaging the wiring inside. that surely helps. i dont know whether they will sound noticeably better, but at least you will have clean air coming out of the speakers. i have the same problem with my golden shedding a lot of hair.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th September 2006 at 11:46.
Old 25th September 2006, 11:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

Only service most speakers need is a change in surround every 10 years or so.
Old 25th September 2006, 12:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Change in surround ??
Old 25th September 2006, 12:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

here is a pic of a speaker which will help one understand the different parts of a speaker

one thing more normally the 6x9 require some service as the tweeter pod is on the front of the speaker and as there is no dust cap there some dust with the passage of time comes between the gap ..so some commpressed air could easily take it out......

the open vent at the back of the magnet on the pole piece is for coolling of the voice coil and it is not for any show....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 25th September 2006 at 12:17.
Old 25th September 2006, 12:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, my speakers are in a wooden frame with no way to open them other than pull the wood apart. So how would the dust/dog hair make its way inside anyways?
LBM, i think Rtech is talking about his speakers at home. nice pic though. man, do you always sit with the audio manual beside you ? you pop pics faster than anybody here. like quick draw mcgraw, eh ? lol

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th September 2006 at 13:02.
Old 25th September 2006, 13:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
LBM, i think Rtech is talking about his speakers at home.
I know sir

I was commenting that sometimes speaker need a bit of servicing.....like cleaning it....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 25th September 2006 at 13:03.
Old 25th September 2006, 13:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
nd-wise.

Is there any truth to this? If so, what exactly would they do other than just cleaning them?
Absolute rubbish. That's what it is. Just clean the speakers Rt.
Old 25th September 2006, 13:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Now there's the simple answer I needed! Thanks Sam.
Old 25th September 2006, 15:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
........man, do you always sit with the audio manual beside you ? you pop pics faster than anybody here. like quick draw mcgraw, eh ? lol
Ha ha, that part couldn't be more true. I also have a feeling that he has Autocad or something handy with which he regularly plots out some diagrams. Not sure though. I'm just too bad with images. It took me quite some time to even figure out how to post images on the forum! But give me an audio file, and I'm sure I can beat most guys around here hands down. Except the likes of Tool, of course. I have a lot of bootleg mixes to my credit which feature on playlists in several Mumbai clubs.

Different speakers have different servicing needs.

In the case of a home speaker without a port, it's really quite difficult for dust and hair to cause much havoc. If it's ported and the speaker has a vented pole piece, dust could get in there. But some manufacturers apply a grill on the vent to keep dust out.

Coaxial speakers are usually the most prone to dust induced damage. It's difficult to clean the gap completely, but using a blower can help to some extent.
Old 25th September 2006, 20:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nice pic though. man, do you always sit with the audio manual beside you ? you pop pics faster than anybody here. like quick draw mcgraw, eh ? lol
Man a liitle planning and good memory helps a lot in this.....I have put all the pics on a website and I remember each and every one...so I post them when needed.....to explain better ....because

picture can say thousand word..

but some people think it is just google up stuff......even to google up is not enough to answer there must be some logic required also.....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 25th September 2006 at 20:54.
Old 25th September 2006, 22:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Man a liitle planning and good memory helps a lot in this.....I have put all the pics on a website and I remember each and every one...so I post them when needed.....

All I had to do was mention that I misplaced my Pioneer HU owners manual and lo & behold, LBM worked his magic and sent me the PDF version !!!! Its next to impossible to find it online without having to pay $$$$.
Old 25th September 2006, 22:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Now there's the simple answer I needed! Thanks Sam.

I have a sony Pro-logic at home. The front surround speakers have large air holes in the front.

After sometime whenever I used to pump up the volume during a party or for fun I was surprised to see dust spraying from these holes. I had to use vaccum air to clean it up. From then on I used to clean speakers every 2-3 months. It still sounds good.
I guess cleaning is the only service needed for well maintained speakers.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 25th September 2006 at 22:44.
Old 25th September 2006, 22:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I have a sony Pro-logic at home. The front surround speakers have large air holes in the front.
that is a port of a bass reflex speaker....it is normal that some dirt comes out when it is played at high volumes...but one can suck with a vacum cleaner to clean the speakers....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks