Team-BHP - Installing a single-din player into a double-din slot
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Installing a single-din player into a double-din slot (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/17581-installing-single-din-player-into-double-din-slot.html)

Hi All

I am going in for the new Corolla E version which is without the music system. However, the space provided is for a 2 Din system. Appreciate if you all can help me in
a) Letting me know a single Din system, but large enough to fit the entire space as the current options for using a single din system would mean, there would be a space below( Toyota has a slot box,if you are going for single Din). That looks horrible
b) If I do go for Double Din,can you recommend some good options as there seems to be limited choice here.
c) Any other suggestion,which would not spoil the dashboard looks would be appreicated.

I beieve Alpine, JVC Kenwood and pioneer have some double din units. I also believe that for whatever reason, they are all of a lower quality than their single din counterparts.

However I am no expert on head units, others will be here shortly.

I use the JVC double din in my swift , pls avoid if you can , terrible sound quality, pronounced lows and highs with no mids.. Plan to change as soon as I can afford to ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rattimehra
Hi All

I am going in for the new Corolla E version which is without the music system. However, the space provided is for a 2 Din system. Appreciate if you all can help me in
a) Letting me know a single Din system, but large enough to fit the entire space as the current options for using a single din system would mean, there would be a space below( Toyota has a slot box,if you are going for single Din). That looks horrible
b) If I do go for Double Din,can you recommend some good options as there seems to be limited choice here.
c) Any other suggestion,which would not spoil the dashboard looks would be appreicated.

I haven't seen this Toyota.

What comes in place of where the HU would usually be?

Is it a standard sized double din space, or is it the same non-planar curved face like the one on the 2-din Toyota Head Unit?

Hi,

Rchimni are you talkign about this JVC double din:
http://www.jvc.co.in/products/produc...5&productID=43

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchimni
I use the JVC double din in my swift , pls avoid if you can , terrible sound quality, pronounced lows and highs with no mids.. Plan to change as soon as I can afford to ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
I haven't seen this Toyota.

What comes in place of where the HU would usually be?

Is it a standard sized double din space, or is it the same non-planar curved face like the one on the 2-din Toyota Head Unit?

Hi

It has a standard double din slot though not sure, if Toyota's slot fits all models. What Toyota dealer has suggested is that they can provide a box shaped slot to cover the remaining space,if i go for a single din. But that's going to spoil the looks of the dashboard.

Hi...
Some research and these are few models,which i could trace in double din. Any feedback on these as well as cost will be appreciated...

[FONT=Tms Rmn]DPX-MP4050 from Kenwood ( got a quote of 12K from a dealer without bill)
FH-P4200MP from Pioneer (don't know the cost yet)
CDA W925E and CDA W560E ( around 25K as quoted by Toyota dealer, have not gone out to find the price in market in Blr)

[/FONT]

I have the Pioneer 5000MP in my Swift. Its got a CD/MP3 player and a tape deck (very useful if you have an iPod.. plug in a casette adapter and you get static free music from it).

It also looks nice.. clean lines.. no clutter. Although I think it may have been discontinued.

Not so sure about the output etc.. put in a couple of amps though and the sound is fine.

I think it was 14K when i bought it a year back. the new ones undoubtedly have better features but i dont like the cluttered look of most of them

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh
Hi,

Rchimni are you talkign about this JVC double din:
http://www.jvc.co.in/products/produc...5&productID=43

Thanks

Thats correct! though its cheap its not worth it at all

best bet, get a single din and a cover to clsoe the other din( teh one in honda city looks great)

if you feel the double din combos do not sound good, get a dvd/mp3 player & a cassette player separately. Me too planning to do the same in my esteem. i have an old kenwood casette player which i am going to install in the second slot. will post pics after i do that. cheers :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover
if you feel the double din combos do not sound good, get a dvd/mp3 player & a cassette player separately. ...

possible only if the CD player has AUX inputs that can accept the outputs of the cassette player. you will have 2 tuners though (one on the radio and one on the cd player).

The market for 1 DIN is many times larger than 2 DIN and hence 1 DIN is where most manufacturers put their money.

I'd use a 1 DIN unit and an adapter that fill the gap. Some adapters use the space for storage.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-33kJhO2...142TA2048B#Tab

Another option is to get a Cassette player or better still a good processor (there are very few good processors out there and they are expensive) to fill that gap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
However I am no expert on head units, ....

Are you sure? Your avatar sure gives a different impression. :-)

Hi Guys

thanks for the feedback on the double din..I guess, I will try out single din first with suitable cover for the empty slot without damaging the aesthetic of the dashboard...The dealer has shown me an adapter which gives a slot for storage..I am not too keen..my general observation with these slots are that only thing which goes in is lots of dust !! Guess,will have to see ,what else is available in market..

btw anyone knows authorized Alpine dealers in Blr?