Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2021, 04:57   #151
BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
Hi,

I have a 2016 Innova Crysta 2.8Z. Extremely well maintained and cared for. I am not an audiophile, all I care about is convenience.

I am ideally looking for something under 20k that gets the job done. I have scoured this forum - I see complete revamps of the setup or very expensive head units being discussed.

Is there anything the esteemed members of this forum can recommend that meets my brief.

Thanks in advance.
I am in the exact same situation. I have a 2016 GX MT version without steering controls. I want to upgrade my ICE head unit so that it sits flush, has no lag, and connect to multiple Bluetooth devices simultaneously and has android auto / car play. Willing to budget upto 35k for this.

Would be greatful if anyone can suggest a suitable model and also good garages in Bangalore which can do this (ideally near Indiranagar).

Also, is there a possibility of adding steering controls to my GX?
Old 12th December 2021, 07:56   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Willing to budget upto 35k for this.

Would be greatful if anyone can suggest a suitable model and also good garages in Bangalore which can do this (ideally near Indiranagar).

Also, is there a possibility of adding steering controls to my GX?
Quote:
Hi,

I am ideally looking for something under 20k that gets the job done. I have scoured this forum - I see complete revamps of the setup or very expensive head units being discussed.

Thanks in advance.
The problem with Crysta is the screen size; 9 inch. Only thing that fits snugly in this budget is an android system, however they have their own set of problems, specially with sound quality and BT voice calls. For AA and ACP there are many branded options in 7 inch and 8 inch, but will need additional fascia to fit in the 9 inch space of crysta. This certainly will compromise the aesthetics to a large extent. I will suggest the following systems:-

Pioneer ZS 8290 BT: ~ 45000 INR
Its a 8 inch screen and comes with a pioneer made fascia. As mentioned on the website this one comes with a plug and play kit for crysta. This one is worth the extra 10k, however its out of stock at most places. While placing the order do check the availability of fascia for Crysta.

Name:  Screen Shot 20211212 at 7.08.37 AM.png
Views: 2116
Size:  67.6 KB

PC: Pioneer-india.in

Sony XAV AX-8100 ~ 25000 INR
Its a 9 inch system and comes with AA and ACP. Only con being the screen resolution and floating screen system

Name:  Screen Shot 20211212 at 7.32.18 AM.png
Views: 2174
Size:  314.9 KB

PC: Sony.co.in

Pioneer SDA-835TAB+SPH-T20BT ~ 25000 INR

Its more of a 8 inch android tablet with HU functionality. Again a floating system. Not sure if this one supports AA or ACP. However android based system don't need AA/ACP, there are apps to do the job.

Name:  Screen Shot 20211212 at 7.38.56 AM.png
Views: 2069
Size:  336.3 KB

PC: Pioneer-india.in

7 inch systems from Pioneer/Sony etc 15-20k INR

There are endless option in 7 inch, however fitting a 7 inch system in a 9 inch space will leave a huge void and aesthetics will be compromised.

Android based systems: ~20-50k INR

Sky is the limit if you are willing to go for an android based system. You have branded as well as non branded systems in this budgets. Sound quality is good if not great. Voice calls will be a problem. Also you will need a source to provide internet to make them work for live maps and music.

As with steering mounted controls , yes it is possible to install them in GX variant. You may check and place order with the Toyota service centre directly. There are videos which show it works. You may also order it online (There are online portals which provide steering mounted controls) and get it installed at an FNG.

Cheers
Bravo.
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 22:01   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
The problem with Crysta is the screen size; 9 inch. Only thing that fits snugly in this budget is an android system, however they have their own set of problems, specially with sound quality and BT voice calls. For AA and ACP there are many branded options in 7 inch and 8 inch, but will need additional fascia to fit in the 9 inch space of crysta. This certainly will compromise the aesthetics to a large extent. I will suggest the following systems:-

Bravo.
Thanks for this detailed response!! I came across this video which seems really good:

This is the system he is refering in the video:

I contacted him and he is quoting 45k including a 360 degree camera installation plus reasonable installation charges at my city. However the name / brand of this system is not mentioned anywhere - for some reason he is not disclosing the same.

I was hoping if there would also be proximity sensors available for the Innova. I have scratched the door many times especially due to low height ceramic flower pots which we cannot see due to the height of the car and blind spots, especially when making a sharp turn or while reversing. This has happened atleast 3 times to me over last few years!

Last edited by contentedbloke : 16th December 2021 at 22:02.
Old 31st January 2022, 12:31   #154
BHPian

Hi experts,

I have a 2017 model Crysta 2.8z. Planning to do the following upgrades related to ICE.

Retain the head unit and change speakers of all all 4 doors. Considering Rockford Fosgate series.

Also planning for damping for all 4 doors. (Overall I am satisfied with NVH levels of Crysta as I am coming from 11 years with old Innova which was very noisy-still, I think NVH levels are very important factor for comfort).

My questions are,

1. Is there any better option for speaker only upgrade. Shortlisted Rockford Fosgate solely based on previous recommendations in this thread.

2. How Much budget I need to consider for above modifications? (speaker upgrade & damping).

3. Does this set up/upgrade give us a visible difference for an ordinary family who enjoy travel and music? Is is worth?

Thanks in advance. Want to take an informed decision and only then will approach the shop/salespersons.
smasher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 18:45   #155
BHPian

I have a 2019 GX 2.8AT with original head unit and speakers. Not too good from Audio perspective, but during COVID didn't feel like changing it.

I have been reading up about options for ICE upgrade.

One idea I liked is keeping the OEM HU and experimenting with the speakers. Only problem - I'll need to do without Android Auto.

But only place where I need Android Auto is Google Maps. One option is to keep a separate Mobile stand and use mobile for direction. Not a perfect solution. :(

But, if I would change the head unit, I'd go with the Blaupunkt San Andreas 970 unit. It has wireless AA and ACP, which is a boon. I can then install a wireless charger, and not worry about connecting the mobile - still get all the apps I need from the HU.

Would need a budget of 40K for the unit, with speaker changes perhaps overall bill will be 65-70K!
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 13:29   #156
BHPian

Hello All,

I've finally booked a Crysta Vx. The vehicle should be arriving this month. I intend to retain the stock HU and upgrade the speakers/ maybe add a subwoofer and amp.

I'm no audiophile, but the system I got last year (Pioneer 2Din setup, JBL components for the front, JBL CoAxils for the rear, Sony Bass Tube and Sony Amp) for my Sx4 from an accessories shop in Siliguri just didn't sound right. I suspect I got duped with fake stuff.
My previous car's far simpler Blaupunkt and JBL Combo sounded so much better.

Could anyone hook me up with any of our members who deal with accessories/ music system so I could purchase directly from them, have it shipped and pay them online?

Or if that's not possible, any pointers on what I should be buying? Components, Coaxils at rear, door dampings, an Amp and a sub (?), wiring, etc.

It's difficult for me to discern between the original products and the reportedly fake stuffs that seem to have flooded the market.

Thank you.
Old 1st September 2022, 21:47   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher View Post
1. Is there any better option for speaker only upgrade. Shortlisted Rockford Fosgate solely based on previous recommendations in this thread.
Dear Smasher

What did you finally go for ?
Please share model and cost for benefit of others

Regards
Bravo
Old 3rd October 2022, 07:37   #158
BHPian

I have the 2016 Crysta V and terribly miss having Android Auto. Is it possible to source the new HU provided in the latest Crysta ? Will it really work out of the box ?
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 12:46   #159
BHPian

I checked with the Toyota service centre and they confirmed that it is not possible to plonk the new HU into the older Crysta since the wiring harness is totally different.

They gave me alternate options - Foxfire or Motevo.

I think I would rather go for something better in that case, though not decided yet. My requirements are simple - Android Auto, Spotify, Calls ( voice, whatsapp, MS Teams), good quality music, will not use external amplifier or sub.
Old 27th November 2022, 21:14   #160
BHPian

Finally took the plunge to upgrade with an Android HU.

I wanted Android 12 to give the apps a longer life line. Was looking for 4GB RAM but the combination with 9 inch screen, Android 12 seems not to exist. There were some that dealers were saying that we can upgrade, but I couldn't get myself to invest into unknown companies whose packing boxes had quality of shoe boxes.

I shortlisted Pricol - xenos with 2GB. Focal components for the front and Focal coax for the rear. Blaupkunt amp to complete the upgrade. The default VGA reverse camera needs an adaptor to work and it was cheaper to install a new HD camera instead.

The whole setup put me back by slightly over 50k. I am just learning the new setup. The audio is at a totally different level now, the clarity is so good.

The HU is okay in performance for normal operations. But will test your patience when you are trying to do multiple things at the same time. Did a software upgrade to ensure I get all the bugs fixed.

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-pxl_20221126_055405612.jpg

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-pxl_20221126_055415425.jpg

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-pxl_20221126_055432440.jpg

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-pxl_20221126_055422788.jpg

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-pxl_20221126_055442712.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-pxl_20221126_055409498.jpg  

kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:52   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post

Mrp is 79,990 ,bought it from a pioneer authorised dealer for Rs 59,000.
Can you please share contact details of the pioneer dealer that you bought this receiver from?
Old 20th June 2023, 14:00   #162
Senior - BHPian

Changed the speakers of the Crysta from Pioneer TSA1600C to Hertz CK165L in the front and CX165 in the rear. Chose the L version for the low end since there is no subwoofer.

Then I decided to remove the CX165 from the rear doors and put CK165L components in its place but without the tweeter and only using the C165L midbass with its own crossover. The crossovers that come with CK165L are separates which makes them bi-amp-able if need be. At present I am continuing with my old and tiny Sony XMS400D amp and have no plans for another amp or add a subwoofer.

Also took this opportunity to change the speakers mounts from kenwood die-cast aluminium+rubber mounts to heavier pioneer die-cast aluminium+steel mounts on all four doors.

The tweeters were mounted externally on the panel behind the ORVM as in the photo, but I have then moved it to behind the panel or at the OE position using OE tweeter clamps salvaged from a pair of Crysta tweeters donated by a friend.

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-1.png

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-2.png

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-3.png

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-4.png

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-5.png

Last edited by Sankar : 20th June 2023 at 14:04.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 20:59   #163
BHPian

Is it possible to replace the head unit of the old innova crysta (say v1 with CD player) with the new new one which has no CD player at all? Attaching a couple of pics of the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-img20231116wa0003.jpg  

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-img20231116wa0004.jpg  

HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 15:00   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to replace the head unit of the old innova crysta (say v1 with CD player) with the new new one which has no CD player at all? Attaching a couple of pics of the new one.
I am also exploring this possibility for my 2017 Fortuner. It would be great if we are able to do that. I searched this online but could not come across any such installation.
Old 9th January 2024, 17:58   #165

Quote:
I believe the harness required is elaborate and different from the previous gen models (i.e before 2021). And sadly this harness cannot be ordered from Toyota apparently.

Will require someone to make custom make the harness the connectors/couplers OR will need to scavenge it from a donor vehicle...

Do let us know if you run into easier solutions or if the harness is available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks