Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 22:58   #91
BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I have the top of the line Innova Crysta AT with the OEM head unit. My kids are very keen to get a rear entertainment system with screens on the back of the headrests installed in the car. Please suggest which is the best option compatible with the cars's unit or otherwise.
Thanks.
I am using an iPad with iPad holder for this purpose. In the age of You Tube and Netflix, kids are not really interested in watching downloaded content.

Last edited by navin : 22nd January 2019 at 12:53. Reason: typos
ansumaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 00:17   #92

I have an Innova crysta (1 year and 30k) and have loved every drive in it.

I have been wanting to do a DIY upgrade of the rear speakers as I have no knowledge about ICE's at all I don't know where to start. I have read on the basics but there is nothing similar for this particular vehicle.

I want to upgrade just the speakers while retaining the OE head unit. I wanted to know where to start.

Last edited by navin : 22nd January 2019 at 12:54. Reason: typos
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:54   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak648o View Post

I have been wanting to do a DIY upgrade of the rear speakers as I have no knowledge about ICE's at all I don't know where to start. I have read on the basics but there is nothing similar for this particular vehicle.

I want to upgrade just the speakers while retaining the OE head unit. I wanted to know where to start.
You can start slow. Before you upgrade the speakers listen to a few. Most OEMs have included quite a bit of equalization in their OEM HUs to compensate for the shortcomings of the OEM speakers. Sometimes just changing speakers may make the sound worse.

Hence my advice would be to listen to a few Innovas that have upgraded speakers or at least ask your local ICE shop if they can demo some speakers for you in your car.

Last edited by navin : 22nd January 2019 at 12:54.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have changed stock speakers of both the Crysta I have. There is good improvement in sound quality. However if you are an audiophile, suggest you to get an Amplifier and a subwoofer. While the stock HU is good, it generates very less power to drive the speakers. Aftermarket HU makes the better out of speakers. I have Rockford speaker paired with Blaupunk HU in one and stock HU and Infinity speakers on other.

Last edited by navin : 22nd January 2019 at 12:55. Reason: corrected typos in quoted post
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:57   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I have Rockford speaker paired with Blaupunk HU in one and stock HU and Infinity speakers on other.
Sir, which option do you think is more efficient, I want to ask if replacing the OEM HU is worth the money and time.
Thanks in advance
vinayak648o is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, which option do you think is more efficient, I want to ask if replacing the OEM HU is worth the money and time.
Thanks in advance
I would suggest you to go with Stock HU and add amplifier+good set of speakers. Aftermarket HU, though they are feature loaded, do not fit well on Innova Crysta. Add a sub woofer if you need that extra bass.
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:20   #97

Quote:
I would suggest you to go with Stock HU and add amplifier+good set of speakers. Aftermarket HU, though they are feature loaded, do not fit well on Innova Crysta. Add a sub woofer if you need that extra bass.
Sir, thanks for swift reply lastly which speaker amp combination should I go for or should I go try out at the store.
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:46   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is incorrect. With the right dash kit after market HUs are a perfect fit, no problems whatsoever. Infact any HU without Android Auto and Apple Carplay is useless in this day and age in my opinion.

Last edited by SPARKled : 22nd January 2019 at 14:16.
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:46   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, thanks for swift reply lastly which speaker amp combination should I go for or should I go try out at the store.
Suggest you to go and try. Characteristic of each speaker is different and you can pick one to suit your taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
That is incorrect. With the right dash kit after market HUs are a perfect fit, no problems whatsoever. Infact any HU without Android Auto and Apple Carplay is useless in this day and age.
Sorry, I meant to say they don't look aesthetically good as the stock unit. So it is upto one whether you want a good looking unit or more feature/better performing unit. I haven't come across dash kit which make a 7 inch aftermarket HU fit well into a 9 inch slot of Innova crysta. Please let me know if one such is available.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd January 2019 at 13:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:42   #100

Hi Folks,

Need some help here :

I have recently purchased a Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4Gx and felt to upgrade ICE to suit my taste. After going through the discussion on this forum, it seems that there are 2 options for HU and multiple options for rest of the set up:

1. Upgrade the HU and pair it with nice components
2. Stick with OE HU and pair it with an amplifier and components
3. Stick with OE HU and install a DSP to not only improve the quality of sound but also act as a small amplifier

I decided to go for 3rd option and started a DIY project but quickly realize that it may not be as simple as thought it to be (clearly overestimated my ability in this case). Further, i could not find any precedence of someone trying the same and hence decided to go to a know shop in Delhi. The guy did try to set it up the way he must have done in many cars of different brands (with stock HU) except Toyota, but somehow the results in my case were below average or rather poor. Since it got late in the evening, we decided to left the installation in as it is condition to be completed next weekend.

Other Information:
# I have already bought and installed Rockford prime R165s components on all four doors.
# DSP installed was Pioneer DEQ S1000A
# Adding an amplifier or a sub was left to be decided after initial installation

My question is :

1.Can someone here guide me about the wiring set up of DSP with Stock HU of Innova (Pics and experience will help immensely)?
2. What would the best position to mount tweeters on Front : A pillar or Door itself (I have not installed them till now). Middle row components are on installed door itself since i could not find any other suitable place.

Kindly note that i have spare 1000w decent amplifier carried over from my last car (Almost 10 Yr old but still sound good) which is not used at all in current setup. I still have the flexibility to switch for HU upgrade and amplifier set up with or without DSP since the shop keeper is a known friend and has no issues in taking back DSP if we don't get the quality music from current installation.

Please Suggest.

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:52   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmaverick View Post
3. Stick with OE HU and install a DSP to not only improve the quality of sound but also act as a small amplifier

Other Information:
# I have already bought and installed Rockford prime R165s components on all four doors.
# DSP installed was Pioneer DEQ S1000A
# Adding an amplifier or a sub was left to be decided after initial installation

My question is :

1.Can someone here guide me about the wiring set up of DSP with Stock HU of Innova (Pics and experience will help immensely)?
2. What would the best position to mount tweeters on Front : A pillar or Door itself (I have not installed them till now). Middle row components are on installed door itself since i could not find any other suitable place.
Before you install the Pioneer DSP please read this thread. The Pioneer is built to a price point (as is the Sony) and both have some limitations.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...version-8.html (Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version))
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:34   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Before you install the Pioneer DSP please read this thread. The Pioneer is built to a price point (as is the Sony) and both have some limitations.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...version-8.html (Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version))
Thanks Navin,

This was the thread which inspired me not to go for a amplifier setup despite having one spare available with me at no cost. I was just trying to have a cleaner installation without RCA leads running on floor and save all the effort required to set up an amp under seat powered by battery directly through firewall.

Now i am trying to make it work.
Old 19th September 2019, 16:02   #103

Hi, I have upgraded the audio on my Innova Crysta 2.8Z. This is the setup that I have used.
1. Sony XAV 5000 headhunt.
2. Rockford Fosgate P400X4 amp for the speakers.
3. JBL GTO Stadium components on the front in 2 way configuration.
4. Rockford Fosgate prime components on the rear.
5. Rockford Fosgate P300-10 subwoofer.

To install all this I had to buy the following
1. Stereo surrounding trim panel.
2. 4AWG wiring for both the amp and sub (Cervin Vega)
3. Connectors for radio antenna, power socket and OE camera integration.
4. Dampmat damping sheet 40sqft

After the upgrade the sound has improved a lot.

But there is a small issue,

My vol+, vol -, next and previous buttons on the steering wheel are not working (No response in the setup screen of the headunit even).

I have connected the steering wheel remote wires with the (Sony 3.5mm jack kinda) headunit steering remote connector.

There are three wires namely
1. SWG (GND from Steering) Connected to Pin23 on Toyota-28-pin-connector
2. SW 1. Connected to Pin21 on Toyota-28-pin-connector
3. SW 2. Connected to Pin22 on Toyota-28-pin-connector

After connecting only four buttons (Call up, Call down, Mode & Voice)on the steering wheel are working.

While I had the same setup on my Ignis(It also had the same 8 buttons), all the buttons worked.

But when I checked with the multimeter I am able to see he change in the reading for all the 8 buttons.

Please help me out.

Thanks.
Old 19th December 2019, 18:31   #104
BHPian

Folks, all of you who have upgraded the Innova Crysta Head Unit I wanted to check if anyone is using Mirrorlink in the upgraded head units, In case you are using or have tried I wanted to check if you are able to do a full mobile screen mirroring or only the Mirrorlink app is mirrored?

I have been able to recently get the Mirrorlink to work with the stock Head Unit here (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review), but the Drivelink app keeps coming back to foreground the moment I try to switch to the full screen.

Last edited by haisaikat : 19th December 2019 at 18:32.
Old 20th January 2020, 16:56   #105
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded HU of my Crysta to a Android one. It's a 10.1 inch unit and made for Innova. Red Soul is manufacturer(or distributor). Cost me 12.5K including installation. Looks great and is actually sounding better than my older Blaupunkt unit. Have retained rockford speakers. Touch sensitivity is good and all apps from playstore can be downloaded. Call and audio quality via bluetooth is good as well! Picture in link below
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ce-done-6.html (Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4 GX ownership review. EDIT: 10,000 km service done)

Most Viewed