Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 16:50   #106

Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbknight711 View Post
Hi, I have upgraded the audio on my Innova Crysta 2.8Z. This is the setup that I have used.
1. Sony XAV 5000 headhunt.
2. Rockford Fosgate P400X4 amp for the speakers.
3. JBL GTO Stadium components on the front in 2 way configuration.
4. Rockford Fosgate prime components on the rear.
5. Rockford Fosgate P300-10 subwoofer.

To install all this I had to buy the following
1. Stereo surrounding trim panel.
2. 4AWG wiring for both the amp and sub (Cervin Vega)
3. Connectors for radio antenna, power socket and OE camera integration.
4. Dampmat damping sheet 40sqft

After the upgrade the sound has improved a lot.

But there is a small issue,

My vol+, vol -, next and previous buttons on the steering wheel are not working (No response in the setup screen of the headunit even).
Sir, could please mention where did you buy the surrounding trim panel and have you managed to get the buttons to work?

Thanks in advance
Old 6th February 2020, 23:28   #107
BHPian

Looking to upgrade only the speakers in my crysta. Not an audiophile but love to hear good music.
Old 24th July 2020, 12:07   #108
BHPian

Hi All need some help on iceing a zx model.

I have 2 options for the ice upgrade and thinking which one to go with

Option 1.
Use the existing headunit and add a mosconi 4 to 6 dsp that i already have from my old car setup and install an alpine pdx v9 (5 channel amp) which also from my previous car setup.
I need to get the speaker hi to low converter 4 ch to 4 rca out to connect to the dsp and also need an additional 6 pair small rca to connect the dsp out rca to the amp in rca. Speakers have quite a few with me and will have to figure that out later once I decide the option I follow.

Pros
1.Keep the original fit and feel of the head unit and dash
2. Get to keep all the mid functionality and features of the additional options that the original headunit has.
3. Steering wheel buttons work the way they should

Cons
1. Need to spend about 8 to10k on the speaker hi to rca low convertor and additional 3 pairs of rca to interconnect the dsp and amp.
2. Compromise on Sound quality for sure will not be the same as using the pioneer 8890bt as headunit.
Only a single usb input and limited features like cannot play video on the drive.
3. No option to extend video to a rear seat screens or for roof mount display
4. No SD card option to store additional music.

Option 2.
Change the headunit to again an existing pioneer 8890bt from my previous car and will not install a dsp as the output from the pioneer is good enough to directly amplify and also has time alignmentand equalizers. The amp will be the same setup an alpine pdx v9 5 channel.

Pros.
1. Better sound quality
2. 2 usb options with Android car play.
3. Flip out screen and can be stored or removed in unsafe places and can also tilt screen a few degrees possible. ( bottom of the screen lifts up to get a better viewing angle.)
4. Planning to also install a wired remote that will be fixed on the steering column maybe below the wiper stall and is a remote commander with a lot more features than the buttons on the steering wheel. ( have a Sony Rm-x4s rotary commander). The install too should look like it came company fitted.
5. Can fix a screen to play movies for the rear seat passengers.
6. Can store music videos on an SD card as well

Cons
1. Miss out on the MID additional functionality that the original headunit have and includes mileage and other options.
2. Won't be connecting the steering wheel column to the headunit so all the buttons will only be used for finger fatigue exercises on long drives even if i do want to use them will need an axxcess remote convertor which again is no guarantee that all functions will work.
3. The fascia to cover the area around the smaller pioneer headunit seems pretty poor in quality and might have to do some more work to gel with the dash. Thinking of carbon wrap.
4. Needs quite a few connectors for antenna,camera and power in order not to splice wires.

Let me know your thoughts and specially folks who have done both options or each of these options.

Also on the ZX model what options or features do i miss out if I do go with changing the headunit to the puoneer 8890bt.

There is another option 3 but not keen on it as I hear too many cons on that particular model from pioneer though they have customized it for the innova crysta. The option is to go for the pioneer DMH-ZS8290BT but just too expensive and not sure if anyone has installed this too and can share your comments.
Old 24th July 2020, 13:05   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
Option 1.
Use the existing headunit and add a mosconi 4 to 6 dsp that i already have from my old car setup and install an alpine pdx v9 (5 channel amp) which also from my previous car setup.
I think you can go ahead with Option 1.

The Mosconi 4 to 6 DSP has a choice of either Low level (RCA) or High level (speaker wires from OEM HU connector). I don't think you need Hi to Low adapter in the sound chain here.

Quoting from the features list of the DSP from the Mosconi website.

Quote:
GLADEN DSP 4to6
  • USB and BT adapter (MOS-BTM), for adjusting by PC and Android smart phone apps.
  • Low-level or High-level input with auto-sense (only by High-Level)
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 23:07   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I think you can go ahead with Option 1.

The Mosconi 4 to 6 DSP has a choice of either Low level (RCA) or High level (speaker wires from OEM HU connector).

Quoting from the features list of the DSP from the Mosconi website.
Thank you am mostly going down this route and thanks for that highlight on the hi to low convertor inbuilt in the mosconi just saved me about 4 to 5k.
Old 23rd August 2020, 09:53   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak648o View Post
Sir, could please mention where did you buy the surrounding trim panel and have you managed to get the buttons to work?

Thanks in advance
I bought a trim panel in JC road Bangalore. CarZone. But I did not like it after I installed it. It felt cheap beside my Sony player. So, I designed a simple flat panel in Fusion360 and got it laser cut on black acrylic. This looks much better. Will post the pics soon.

I have managed to get those buttons to work by trying multiple combinations. Pin config sheet that I found over the internet had one wire marked incorrectly.
throbknight711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 03:16   #112
BHPian

I'm relocating to India from the US next month and am looking to buy an Innova Crysta. Heard the stock ICE is bad.

Can I buy a head unit and speakers from here? If so what size and brand do you recommend?
Old 29th August 2020, 03:26   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I'm relocating to India from the US next month and am looking to buy an Innova Crysta. Heard the stock ICE is bad.

Can I buy a head unit and speakers from here? If so what size and brand do you recommend?
What is the budget you have allocated for the ICE upgrade? Once you have that given out, it shall be easy to give options for each item.
Old 29th August 2020, 03:30   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What is the budget you have allocated for the ICE upgrade? Once you have that given out, it shall be easy to give options for each item.
Thanks for the quick response. Can spend upto 50k.
Old 29th August 2020, 14:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Stock ICE is dull. A headunit and speaker upgrade will do it good. Doors will take either 6.5" or 6.34" speakers. If you do not want CD/DVD capability buy a mechless unit from Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood. If you are not fond of a large external amplifier consider a small class D 4channel amp which can be installed behind the headunit like Alpine KTP445U or Sony XMS400D.

Apart from that these are the accessories you will need. Better to buy from there as the ones by Metra is better quality than what installers normally use here.

1) Harness adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1761...dp/B0002BEQJ8/

2) FM antenna adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VYWSES/

PS: The pic above in the item description is not correct but the item and the model number is correct. I purchased it in 2018.

3) Speaker connector adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-8104...dp/B0002BBP7Y/

PS: Use this to avoid having to cut off the OE speaker connector in each door when you put aftermarket speakers.

4) Speaker door adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-8148...dp/B00IIC63P8/

Or with some speakers you will get multifit adaptors that can be used to mount the speaker to the door. But better to buy the metra anyway as it does not cost much. Do not fit the universal MDF speaker rings commonly used by installers here - 1) It will rot if water/moisture gets to it 2) They will drill more holes in the door when you can re-use existing holes with the Toyota specific adaptor. I previously had a Toyota specific MDF speaker adapters, but replaced with plastic after the former started swelling and splitting.

5) Toyota wide DIN gap filler
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-8202...dp/B000K52CY2/

Toyota's have a wide headunit DIN slot. Since most headunits are standard size it will leave a bit of a gap on either side and this is used to fill that gap. Or you can opt for a Wide DIN stereo like the Kenwood DDX WSseries which will fit flush in the slot and loos great.

You will get ^^ all of this here locally except the Toyota specific plastic door speaker adapter and the speaker connector. But quality will not be the same especially for the stereo harness with low gauge wire compared to the Metra (even Scoshe is not as good). So even if you end up buying the stereo and speakers here it is a good idea to bring these when you come.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 21:46   #116
BHPian

Thank you very much Sarkar. Do I buy one of each?

Also, looks like the v models of Innova come with 6 speakers. Do you know what size they are?

Any recommendations for speaker brand and model?
Old 29th August 2020, 22:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

One of each of items 1,2 & 5
Two of each of items 3 & 4

The stock door speakers are 6.5inch but that doesnt matter, you can put 6.5 or 6.34 inch component or coaxial speakers in the doors using the speaker adapter ring. The tweeter is in the front sail panel and it is ~.75inch. With a bit of grinding and cutting of the sail panel 1inch tweeter will fit in there but imaging will be very poor since the RHS tweeter fires literally into the hump of the meter console. I would highly recommend to use the supplied pod (most component speaker kit has a pod and flush mount fitting included) to fit the tweeter on the sail panel. I bought V/Z's sail panel for my G to install the tweeter to keep it discrete but ditched it in favour of the pod installation due to the previously mentioned reason.

Speakers are honestly individual choices and making choices without listener's preferences is impossible. At times it is even more difficult to make own speaker choices, so making up someone else's choice might not end up well. I would like you to check out this channel (its Russian) and listen to their speaker comparisons using headphones better the headphones better you will be able to hear the differences (I use my 10 year old Klipsch Custom 3)

Some sample videos:

Do not dismiss Pioneer as a brand, some of their models are really good for the $$ like this TSA1600C. This is what I am using now, I like its reproduction but someone else may prefer a slightly different sound.

Choose a 6.5" component for the front doors, put the tweeter on a pod in the sail panel. For the rear doors use a 6.5inch coaxial speaker. I would recommend against putting component speaker at the rear because then the tweeter closer to your ear would be the rear one. That is not good for imaging.

Last edited by Sankar : 29th August 2020 at 22:49.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 07:51   #118
BHPian

Thank you.

Ideally, I don't want to medell with the HU and prefer the stock one. If I just changed the speakers and got one pair of component 6.5 speakers and one pair of coaxial 6.5 speakers will that be improve the sound somewhat?

I've used JBLs in the past, I'll probably stick to them.
Old 30th August 2020, 09:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

You can upgrade the audio in stages which is the norm. Except for mileage display the stock 7inch headunit is a mediocre unit with poor smartphone connectivity, card based navigation and average sound quality. This unit has been replaced in the Innova sold in other markets with a new 9inch unit supporting carplay, android auto and other enhancements. But, stock headunit with JBL speakers will definitely be an improvement in sound quality over stock speakers. You can decide whether to add a digital signal processor to the stock HU or change the headunit later.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:31   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

Ideally, I don't want to medell with the HU and prefer the stock one. If I just changed the speakers and got one pair of component 6.5 speakers and one pair of coaxial 6.5 speakers will that be improve the sound somewhat?

I've used JBLs in the past, I'll probably stick to them.
I suggest you get a dsp (Mosconi dsp 4 to 6)and hook it up to the stock headunit. An amplifier 4 channel if you just need the 4 speakers and add a mono block if u like a subwoofer as well. Innovas have some space below the driver and co passenger seats and a good under seat subwoofer will help to complete the audio setup. This should improve the sound quality significantly.

If you like JBL I suggest go for the focal polyglass series as they definitely better than the JBL's. You get components and coaxials as well in the series. Ofcourse suggest to audition them before purchase.
Silver Streak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks