Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 18:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

I recently upgraded the dealer fitted Kenwood DDX415BT to Pioneer AVHX8890BT with Android Auto and Carplay. It also plays FLAC and thats a bonus. I had a large collection of lossless music in ALAC (from when i owned an ipod) and converted all that to FLAC. The SQ is much much better compared to the DDX415BT even while playing CD or 320kbps MP3. Android auto works good and I routed an USB cable to the box on the centre console behind handbrake lever. An additional USB cable is left in the glovebox for connecting USB storage. The unit has an SD slot and the FLAC is in a 32GB SD card.

I had a doubt on how to connect the parkwire in the 8890BT as new gen Pioneer owners in USA were saying the newer sets have a double pulse hand brake detection to enable video playback. But anyways no such issues here in the Asian spec models.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 19:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I recently upgraded the dealer fitted Kenwood DDX415BT to Pioneer AVHX8890BT with Android Auto and Carplay. It also plays FLAC and thats a bonus. I had a large collection of lossless music in ALAC (from when i owned an ipod) and converted all that to FLAC. The SQ is much much better compared to the DDX415BT even while playing CD or 320kbps MP3. Android auto works good and I routed an USB cable to the box on the centre console behind handbrake lever. An additional USB cable is left in the glovebox for connecting USB storage. The unit has an SD slot and the FLAC is in a 32GB SD card.

I had a doubt on how to connect the parkwire in the 8890BT as new gen Pioneer owners in USA were saying the newer sets have a double pulse hand brake detection to enable video playback. But anyways no such issues here in the Asian spec models.
Can you post some pics ? And feedback on the touchscreen ? I am thinking of upgrading to this same unit from the stock one on my Jetta
Old 14th November 2016, 20:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Can you post some pics ? And feedback on the touchscreen ? I am thinking of upgrading to this same unit from the stock one on my Jetta
Touch screen is resistive; precise, responsive and clear. Anything else you want to know in particular about the screen?

I recommend this for any Pioneer AVHX unit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZP84O0/
Just 10dollars and with this connected no need to do anything with the park brake wire. I bought this and now park brake wire is connected to this little circuit, its neat and clean, no wires going anywhere.

I'll post the pics tomorrow.
Old 14th November 2016, 21:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Touch screen is resistive; precise, responsive and clear. Anything else you want to know in particular about the screen?

I recommend this for any Pioneer AVHX unit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZP84O0/
Just 10dollars and with this connected no need to do anything with the park brake wire. I bought this and now park brake wire is connected to this little circuit, its neat and clean, no wires going anywhere.

I'll post the pics tomorrow.
Thanks. I am just a tiny bit worried about screen being resistive after being used to the capacitative touch in smartphones.

Have you tried Apple Car Play or Android Auto ? How easy is it to say use Pinch and Zoom in maps etc ?
Old 16th November 2016, 12:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the best HU to fit in the Innova Crysta? Does Toyota offer the touchscreen from the higher models as an accessory?
Old 10th December 2016, 17:30   #66
BHPian

Just upgraded my innova crysta zx speakers. The OE speakers were made of paper cone and a tiny magnet in the back- a cheap vietnam make! Threw them into the dustbin when I saw them... I am no audio buff but compared to my earlier steed VW vento which was running OE setup, the speaker was plain awful!!

I put rockford fosgate R165s prime in front and rear we coax from RF. Retained the OE HU as I quite like the interface on it.

Now the sound is much - much improved..

BTW total damage- 10.5K . I went to sachin's autoshop- koramangala..

Last edited by smekad : 10th December 2016 at 17:30. Reason: correcting typo
smekad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:10   #67

Trying to revive this thread again. Are there any other folks that have upgraded the ICE system by keeping the HU and installing amplifier and upgrading the speakers?

I wanted to know if the Crysta HU has a preamp-out that can be connected to an amplifier. I really don't want to change the HU since I think it is decent and I like having the steering wheel control for volume control.
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas.mishra View Post
Trying to revive this thread again. Are there any other folks that have upgraded the ICE system by keeping the HU and installing amplifier and upgrading the speakers?

I wanted to know if the Crysta HU has a preamp-out that can be connected to an amplifier. I really don't want to change the HU since I think it is decent and I like having the steering wheel control for volume control.
I did the exact thing that you have asked for - OE HU with amp & sub. The speakers need to be upgraded even if you do not want an amp.

I am not an audiophile; this setup sounds good enough for my kind of music. Do not know about the preamp out.

As an aside, nowadays off market headunits come with a harness that lets you control them from existing steering wheel controls. So that should not stop you.
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:34   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas.mishra View Post
I wanted to know if the Crysta HU has a preamp-out that can be connected to an amplifier.
No. The headunit does not have any preamp-out.
Pramalik_6116 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 23:10   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Most after market amplifiers accept speaker level inputs. So you don't need a pre-amp out in the head unit.
Old 4th June 2017, 11:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosharulvan View Post
I do not believe the interface will be laggy, i do have 8690BT without the navigation, the interface is fast hooked up with a 500GB hard disk, which wav flac and videos.

Also try using ARunchained android app it mirrors the entire mobile on the screen and you can use the touch screen to control your entire mobile.
You could use google maps or here maps, negates the need of using a Head unit with navigation.
I am visiting US soon. Would it make economic sense to purchase an equivalent model from US. Hope no issues on map navigations​.
Old 25th July 2017, 15:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
I put rockford fosgate R165s prime in front and rear we coax from RF. Retained the OE HU as I quite like the interface on it.
Now the sound is much - much improved..
BTW total damage- 10.5K . I went to sachin's autoshop- koramangala..
I have planned for same speaker upgrade. Mine is a GX variant and getting Blaunpunkt San Marino head unit. Can you please let me know how the audio quality is? I had option of JBL/Blaupuntk GT series but have shortlisted Rockford Fosgate R165S and Rear Co-axial(R675).
Old 22nd August 2017, 13:37   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I have planned for same speaker upgrade. Mine is a GX variant and getting Blaunpunkt San Marino head unit. Can you please let me know how the audio quality is? I had option of JBL/Blaupuntk GT series but have shortlisted Rockford Fosgate R165S and Rear Co-axial(R675).
Sorry for the late reply. I was travelling for few weeks- did not get much time to login.

The audio quality is really good. I like to keep low volume- the clarity is amazing - they are low on bass though.
smekad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:03   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I was travelling for few weeks- did not get much time to login.

The audio quality is really good. I like to keep low volume- the clarity is amazing - they are low on bass though.
I went ahead with Rockford Fosgate in-lieu of JBL and result is outstanding. I am using Blaupunkt head unit and bass output is more than what I need. Only downside I see is the clarity is not that great on full volume which I anyway hardly use.
Old 5th September 2017, 15:23   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The speakers are 6.5" Focal R165 - components for the front & coax for the rear door.
Can you confirm how much did you paid for these, as per local auto shop here, these are a direct fit and no spacers will be required - Model Number is 165TOY. I am getting these at around 32K for a set of 4.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...toyotar/165toy

Further, do you feel amplifier is required for light music? I normally listen to Ghazal or some old music and did you used some kind of high gain input amplifier ( as per local nomenclature here) that allows Audio input from speaker wires instead of PreAmp out?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks