Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2016, 09:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

This is a bit pre-mature considering that I am yet to book the car but I am about 90% decided on the Crysta GX AT. Will book this week.

Need to decide on the ICE set up (friend is coming from the US in a couple of weeks; so can get stuff from there if necessary).

My needs for the HU:

- 2 DIN
- Smooth touch or physical buttons for most options
- Excellent Bluetooth operations (Phone clarity)
- Android Auto compatibility
- Rear camera compatibility

I saw this Pioneer HU . Seems to meet most of my requirements & the price is OK. Is there any opinion on this HU? Any India available comparable units?

(THe pioneer HU in my Honda used to drive me nuts with the boot up time & BT basically dying when the car was switched off at signals. Any info of such UI problems/ issues would be appreciated)

I also saw this low profile sub woofer . Worth buying? Liked the unobtrusiveness of it.

I dont need to advertise that I have a boom box (too old for that); just something that provides definition to the music. I listen to classic rock, jazz, western classical and Tamil movie songs.

I have a 4 port amp & speakers in my current Innova (components in the front & coax in the rear) which I plan to cannibalize. Good idea? Also, does it make sense to mount the amp & the sub under the the 2nd row instead of the front row?

Thanks a lot for your opinions & guidance.

PS: I am fairly a noob in this. I am in sales so I tend to say a lot without knowing what I am talking about (Sorry; occupational hazard!)
Please assume close to zero knowledge.

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2016 at 07:07. Reason: Edited strong language
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 13:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
My needs for the HU:
- 2 DIN
Any India available comparable units?

(THe pioneer HU in my Honda used to drive me nuts with the boot up time & BT basically dying when the car was switched off at signals. Any info of such UI problems/ issues would be appreciated)

I also saw this low profile sub woofer . Worth buying? Liked the unobtrusiveness of it.

I have a 4 port amp & speakers in my current Innova (components in the front & coax in the rear) which I plan to cannibalize. Good idea? Also, does it make sense to mount the amp & the sub under the the 2nd row instead of the front row?

Thanks a lot for your opinions & guidance..
To be honest I have tried Sony, Pioneer and Kenwood and their boot times are irritating. I guess they all use the same chips inside so maybe that's the reason these times are similar. The HU link you provided did not open so am unable to suggest anything similar.

Never had BT trouble with any of the HUs though.

Low profile subs can work as long as your expectations are limited. The bass they make has limited volume and depth. I don't know if one will fit under the second row though. If one does it is as good as a location as the first row.

Reusing the amp and speakers from the Innova is a good idea. Electronics has terrible resale value anyway. I don't know if the speakers from the Innova will fit in the Crysta. The Amp, however, will.
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 15:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The HU link you provided did not open so am unable to suggest anything similar.
Apologies. Was referring to the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX.

THe low profile sub was PIONEER TS-SWX2502 10"" Preloaded Subwoofer Enclosure Loaded with TS-SW2502S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Never had BT trouble with any of the HUs though.

Reusing the amp and speakers from the Innova is a good idea. Electronics has terrible resale value anyway. I don't know if the speakers from the Innova will fit in the Crysta. The Amp, however, will.
Thanks. That is what I figured. Do you have any idea what the specs for the speaker in the Crysta is?
Old 13th June 2016, 15:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

For the lower variants:

The usual combination of a head-unit, good speakers, subwoofer & an amplifier will do. Speaker placement in the 1st & 2nd rows. Get good damping. Be sure to choose a head-unit which can double up as a reversing camera display. You'll need it in the Innova.

For the top ZX variant:

The head-unit is very good. It's responsive and has a lot of features builtin. No change needed.

However, the Innova Crysta's speakers are AWFUL. In a Rs. 20 lakh car, the speakers seem to be lifted from a cheap hatchback (Liva?). A speaker upgrade is mandatory on the ZX. I'll give the stock output a rating of 4 / 10.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 16:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apologies. Was referring to the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX.

THe low profile sub was PIONEER TS-SWX2502 10"" Preloaded Subwoofer Enclosure Loaded with TS-SW2502S4

Thanks. That is what I figured. Do you have any idea what the specs for the speaker in the Crysta is?
Sweet mother of God, those HUs cost 40k or thereabouts! The F70BT and F90BT are Indian equivalent. You could choose one with a 1" smaller screen and get the F970BT too.

I have not checked out the Innova Crysta yet so I don't know the speaker sizes used. I would assume the dealer can check and get back to you.

Low profile subwoofers are not designed to compete in SPL or low frequency ability with regular subwoofers. That said most of them can produce about 90db at 50hz which will suffice for Blues, Jazz and some Rock but will fall short if you prefer dance, disco, or the other genres of "electronic" music.

The ability of a subwoofer is determined by 2 areas. The quality of sound and the quantity of sound. The former is subjective and one has to hear a subwoofer to determine that. The later is determined by the SPL capability at a pre-determined frequency. A subwoofer will be able to produce higher SPLs at higher frequencies. For example it cold produce 95db at 100hz but only 85db at 50Hz. I hope this helps.
navin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 19:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the lower variants:

The usual combination of a head-unit, good speakers, subwoofer & an amplifier will do. Speaker placement in the 1st & 2nd rows. Get good damping. Be sure to choose a head-unit which can double up as a reversing camera display. You'll need it in the Innova.
I've already got the Head-Unit, Pioneer 5890. I will upgrade the speakers in due course of time. What I wanted to know is if there a way by which we can install speakers for the last row? I want a 6 speaker set up which will be driven by a 4/6 channel amp (I am happy with components so not too keen on a sub-woofer). The last row folks really have to strain to hear music. If they can hear and enjoy it then its too loud for the folks in the other two rows. Any solution to this? Anyway the speakers can be installed in the rear boot door? Though I'm not sure how good of an idea that is.

Last edited by miharbe : 13th June 2016 at 19:12.
Old 13th June 2016, 20:17   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I've already got the Head-Unit, Pioneer 5890

Congratulations on that. In fact, like I read on the other thread from you, it's a toss up between 8790 and 5890. Can you confirm if the iPhone can be mirrored on to this unit? Stupidly enough, Pioneer dropped the Mirrorlink function from 2790/5790 upgrade from the 2016 line up; I think only 8790 has that functionality. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Congratulations on that. In fact, like I read on the other thread from you, it's a toss up between 8790 and 5890. Can you confirm if the iPhone can be mirrored on to this unit? Stupidly enough, Pioneer dropped the Mirrorlink function from 2790/5790 upgrade from the 2016 line up; I think only 8790 has that functionality. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!

This unit has AppRadio and does not have Mirrorlink or Apple Carplay. I've never used AppRadio and don't know what it is. The 8790 on the other hand has Apple Carplay and Android Auto. It also as a detachable panel (8790) and costs a cool 10k more!
Old 14th June 2016, 15:12   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Thank You!

This unit has AppRadio and does not have Mirrorlink or Apple Carplay. I've never used AppRadio and don't know what it is. The 8790 on the other hand has Apple Carplay and Android Auto. It also as a detachable panel (8790) and costs a cool 10k more!
Yes, and the predicament continues. Download Pioneer AppRadio from App Store on iPhone/ Play Store for Android, and connect the USB with your phone. Once you launch the app on the phone, and choose the country you are in, it gives you options of a few apps that can work on the screen of your headunit. Yes! it includes a navigation app too, I think its called Navitel.

It fantastic uptil now, isn't it? Unfortunately, us being in India, the number apps are seriously restricted and the navigation app itself isn't the best. Hence wanted something that can mirror my phone onto the head-unit, which will allow me to use Google Maps. Apple Carplay obviously is a great initiative, but Maps don't work - again for India.

I think the 5890 is an excellent choice, that gives the much vaunted 7' screen, I am only wishing it had the MirrorLink function like the 2790/5790 had earlier Darn the Pioneers!

ps. Anyone else in the same boat, can wait for the New Kenwood series, I spoke to the Regional Sales desk, and they said it'll be made available next month. Some seriously great specs on those, not to mention they look the part too.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I wanted to know is if there a way by which we can install speakers for the last row? I want a 6 speaker set up which will be driven by a 4/6 channel amp (I am happy with components so not too keen on a sub-woofer).
No need for speakers in third row if powered by good amplifier & speakers.

Quote:
The last row folks really have to strain to hear music. If they can hear and enjoy it then its too loud for the folks in the other two rows. Any solution to this?
This is all dependent on tuning, speaker brightness & sound staging. Make sure to buy neutral/natural sounding speakers and position tweeters correctly so that front row doesn't find it too bright.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 13:39   #11
BHPian

I'll be glued to this thread. In laws have booked the GX AT Crysta, and I need to finalize the audio setup for them by time it arrives, which could be as soon as June end. They will be happy with a basic setup, so can I go with just a HU (having navigation and rear camera)and change of front/rear speakers? Or would the amp be a must have?

To give a reference, they use the 3rd gen city, and the stock audio in that is good enough for them.
Old 15th June 2016, 16:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
They will be happy with a basic setup, so can I go with just a HU (having navigation and rear camera)and change of front/rear speakers? Or would the amp be a must have?
Will strongly advise that you go with some thing that has Android Auto or Apple Carplay rather than built-in navigation. THe latter is static; the routing on the phone is dynamic and takes into account current traffic conditions.

Speakers may be Ok-ok initially. May be you can defer the change.

Amp is not a must have, AFAIK. It is a nice-to-have. It might be good to do it say after 12-18 months so that your kick in the car is maintained!

Last edited by sridhu : 15th June 2016 at 16:03.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 11:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to the accessories guys at Nandi - the Crysta uses 6.25" speakers.

There goes the plan to reuse the Innova speakers!
Old 16th June 2016, 12:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Will strongly advise that you go with some thing that has Android Auto or Apple Carplay rather than built-in navigation. THe latter is static; the routing on the phone is dynamic and takes into account current traffic conditions.

Speakers may be Ok-ok initially. May be you can defer the change.

Amp is not a must have, AFAIK. It is a nice-to-have. It might be good to do it say after 12-18 months so that your kick in the car is maintained!
Thanks for your inputs. Your point about navigation makes sense, will keep that in mind. So basically a double din with reverse cam will suffice.

Wanted to change the speakers because of what GTO mentioned above, and don't want the sound output to be an underwhelming experience compared to the city. I'll go talk to the accessory guy in a day or two and list out the options he gives me.
Old 16th June 2016, 12:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to the accessories guys at Nandi - the Crysta uses 6.25" speakers.

There goes the plan to reuse the Innova speakers!
Apologies for multiple posts. Mods, please merge if possible.

Is there even a 6.25" specification for speakers? I am only seeing 6.5" on JBL or Sony or Infinity

Also, will a 6"x9" oval fit on a 6.5" enclosure?

Saw these: JBL GTO629 & CX 697SI. Will these fit? Any opinion on MS-12SD4 subwoofers?

Last edited by sridhu : 16th June 2016 at 13:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks