Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2006, 10:26   #1
BHPian

I have a Lancer, and swapped my sub and amp from the other car to the Lancer. This is a temporary setup until I upgrade.

Now this is my current ICE on the Lancer.

Alpine CDA 9856
Infinity-speakers-ref9613i
Infinity-speakers-ref5010cs
JBL 12"/500watts with ported enclosure
Sony 222(my old amp)

The bolded text is the recent swap I made. I know the 222 is a toy and cannot be compared with anything .

Here is what Iam looking at , I like tight bass with very less boom!. Right now with my current setup the bass is what I hear is next to nothing at all.. Its just dead or does not sound smooth. Someone please suggest a setup which would suit my specifications.

Also another important clarification needed. Will get this tight thump! only if I use a mono block or I get the same tight responsive bass timed with the music on multichannel amp too.

I dont like loud i mean really loud bass. The bass has to blend with the music and balanced at low volumes. What kind of setup is ideal, having the sub on the rack or in an enclosure?

Lastly, will I need 2 subs to achieve what Iam looking at?

Thanks.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 2nd October 2006 at 10:31.
Old 2nd October 2006, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Harmon I'm sure the guru's will explain this is more detail but here's what I suggest. If you want tight bass first swap your ported box for a good sealed one, second upgrade to a better 2-ch amp. The 222 hardly has any power to drive a sub.

Then once you've done this listen to your setup again & if the bass does not satisfy you then add another sub with both preferably bring driven off one monoblock amp. But the important part is to first get your existing setup right & listen. Then upgrade if you feel like it.
Old 2nd October 2006, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Harmon bro,
Please put your question in the right thread. You need a sealed box, not a ported one.

Hey Veyeron,
Where did you read this Tru producing 300 RMS per channel? There is lot of Hype around but not all is true!

They are one of the best, and are highly under ratted, But not by 50%.I guess they would be producing more around 200 RMS max per ch.
Old 2nd October 2006, 13:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Harmon I'm sure the guru's will explain this is more detail but here's what I suggest. If you want tight bass first swap your ported box for a good sealed one, second upgrade to a better 2-ch amp. The 222 hardly has any power to drive a sub.

Then once you've done this listen to your setup again & if the bass does not satisfy you then add another sub with both preferably bring driven off one monoblock amp. But the important part is to first get your existing setup right & listen. Then upgrade if you feel like it.
Thanks, iraghava/Mugen Power. Sealed box it is then, but will a mono block make huge difference? Also are there any specifications for subs which are used in sealed boxes? Like free air subs and subs used with enclosure.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 2nd October 2006 at 13:48.
Old 2nd October 2006, 15:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Harmon_bro,

First Change The Ported Box To Sealed Box And Then Install Monoblock Amp.
I Have Two Illusion lm 12" Subs In Seprate Sealed Box Driven By Pioneer D510 Monoblock In Innova , It Sounds Great Without Boom.

BTW : What Is Your Budget ??

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 2nd October 2006, 15:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
Harmon_bro,

First Change The Ported Box To Sealed Box And Then Install Monoblock Amp.
I Have Two Illusion lm 12" Subs In Seprate Sealed Box Driven By Pioneer D510 Monoblock In Innova , It Sounds Great Without Boom.

BTW : What Is Your Budget ??

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
I can go upto 15k for a sub/amp combination.
Old 2nd October 2006, 15:59   #7
BHPian

Mugen,

What subs are you driving with the Pioneer D510? The specifications and model no. of the subs please.
Old 2nd October 2006, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

they are illusion subs.......luccent series....

http://www.illusionaudio.com/docs/luccent_subs.htm
Old 2nd October 2006, 16:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
they are illusion subs.......luccent series....

http://www.illusionaudio.com/docs/luccent_subs.htm
LBM/Mugen,

How are the Alpines/Kickers or a HERTZ? Any pointers on the Illusion sub which overpowers the above subs in terms of performance or quality?
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

what do u want boom or sq......
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
what do u want boom or sq......

I need perfect, balanced, tight bass. SQ only.. The bass needs to integrate/blend itslef with the music perfectly.
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:20   #12
BHPian

There are very few SQ bass drivers available in Indian market definitely not from Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood etc.

As far as amplifier is concerned Pioneer 510M is fine.
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
There are very few SQ bass drivers available in Indian market definitely not from Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood etc.

As far as amplifier is concerned Pioneer 510M is fine.
Any suggesstion for a good Mono block/sub combination which would suit my taste?
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Harmon a Sub & Monoblock combo in that budget would be next to impossible, for that you would have to upgrade your budget to about 20k. The 510 is about 13k (I think) & a good woofer would cost you atleast 5-6k so you need to have another look at your budget.

Another option would be to just buy the monoblock right now & use your current woofer. Later when you have more money you can buy 1 or 2 new woofers as you want/require.
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Harmon a Sub & Monoblock combo in that budget would be next to impossible, for that you would have to upgrade your budget to about 20k. The 510 is about 13k (I think) & a good woofer would cost you atleast 5-6k so you need to have another look at your budget.

Another option would be to just buy the monoblock right now & use your current woofer. Later when you have more money you can buy 1 or 2 new woofers as you want/require.
ok be it 20k then. Now please suggest a good combination. Also please tel me is the 510 better than the JBL mono blocks? And to know taste of sound, please refer to my first post on this topic.

Thanks.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 2nd October 2006 at 18:54.

Most Viewed