Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 20:49   #31

Re: Review: Android Head-Unit in my Maruti SX4

Dr. AD
Can you please give your experience on the android HU you installed last year.I am planning to go for Joying 2GB RAM 10.1" 2 Din Universal Android Car Radio Stereo GPS Navigation Android 6.0 Head Unit Tape Recorder Player or Pioneer android HU.Guidance required. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th September 2017, 08:39   #32
BHPian

I have an 2012 Facelifted Honda City with stock HU. Planning to upgrade it and hence, searched in AliExpress and found these products. My need is, powerful HU which can be used as music player, video player and for google maps navigation. I have no plans to upgrade my speakers and would need to retain my steering media control.

1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dasa...a-2e9d7b854ca1

2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...a-2e9d7b854ca1

3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andr...a-2e9d7b854ca1

I am confused b/w the quad/octa/8 cores and Android version.

Can you please suggest?
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 14:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have an 2012 Facelifted Honda City with stock HU.

Can you please suggest?
Did you get the head unit upgrade for your Honda city? I am on the same boat and sharing ideas would be appreciated.
Old 15th April 2019, 18:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please suggest?
Did you buy any of the ones you called out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Did you get the head unit upgrade for your Honda city? I am on the same boat and sharing ideas would be appreciated.
I have the 2014 City and looking for Pure Android options.
Here are a few I found:
1. Dasaita: URL
2. Seicane: URL

The 10.x inch systems should look good on the City and most of the ones available now are on Android Oreo 8.0 which is good.

I called the local store in Bangalore and he had some unbranded 10.in inch HU with Oreo for 18.5K. I am trying to see if i can get a demo. For most of these the company claims as Capacitive screen as well so the Touch Response should be good.
Old 16th April 2019, 16:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMatix View Post
Dr. AD
Can you please give your experience on the android HU you installed last year.I am planning to go for Joying 2GB RAM 10.1" 2 Din Universal Android Car Radio Stereo GPS Navigation Android 6.0 Head Unit Tape Recorder Player or Pioneer android HU.Guidance required. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I completely missed your post and the questions since I was not quoted and did not get a notification. Sorry about that.

I am sure this reply is too late for you, but anyways, in general, I am very happy with that Android HU. It has been three years since I got it, and in spite of my car being parked in the sun all the time, the HU is still working very well.

This unit turned out to be more reliable that I thought. I was expecting it to give me few issues every once in a while. But in reality, this has turned out to be a three years of totally trouble free experience.

Quote:
]
Can you please suggest?
I am sorry I missed this post too, since I was not following this thread.

My suggestion: get Octa core if it is not too much more expensive than Quad core. However, make sure you get the latest (or as newest as possible) version of Android. This is more important for your day to use and app compatibility than Quad vs Octa core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The 10.x inch systems should look good on the City and most of the ones available now are on Android Oreo 8.0 which is good.

I called the local store in Bangalore and he had some unbranded 10.in inch HU with Oreo for 18.5K. I am trying to see if i can get a demo. For most of these the company claims as Capacitive screen as well so the Touch Response should be good.
From my experience, most of these units are the same - they are all manufactured by a few generic manufacturers in China and then are sold under various brands or sometimes unbranded. So whichever brand/unbranded one you will buy, eventually you will get the same unit.

The good news is that most of these seem to be very reliable. So get one that is easy to procure (shorter shipping delays) and within your budget. The chances are high you will get a good reliable unit.

However, make sure you get the newest possible Android version, since it is virtually impossible to update the Android version on these devices later. So most likely you will be stuck with whatever version you get. In my SX4, I am stuck with Android 4.0, which is so old and archaic now. Anyways, SX4 is my secondary car now and I rarely use it, and hence I am fine with Android 4.0.

Since you mentioned you are getting devices with Android 8.0, that is good. So go with any reasonable device with Android 8.0, and it should be fine.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 11:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
However, make sure you get the newest possible Android version, since it is virtually impossible to update the Android version on these devices later. So most likely you will be stuck with whatever version you get. In my SX4, I am stuck with Android 4.0, which is so old and archaic now. Anyways, SX4 is my secondary car now and I rarely use it, and hence I am fine with Android 4.0.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with these devices. Could you shed some light on the Touch Screen behavior? Did you find it smooth or does it feel like a "China make" where you need to tap multiple times for it to register the input?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 17th April 2019 at 11:56.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:58   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with these devices. Could you shed some light on the Touch Screen behavior? Did you find it smooth or does it feel like a "China make" where you need to tap multiple times for it to register the input?
Touch screen response is actually very good. It is a standard capacitive touchscreen, and the response is the same as on any mid range mobile phone (which is not a bad thing because even low cost mobile phones now-a-days have a very responsive and precise touchscreen). Overall, I have zero complaints about the touch responsiveness.

In fact, it is much better than the OEM touchscreens in many cars. Unfortunately, many OEM touchscreens in cars, even in this day, are resistive types. And the touch sensitivities of those are poor. Compared to those, the touchscreens in these Android headunits are many generations ahead.

I am very happy with the brightness of the display too. It is bright enough to be seen in broad daylight without any issue.

If at all, the only area where I think this display falls short is color reproduction. The bright reds and greens look a bit faded than how they should look, or how they do look on a good mobile phone display.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 17th April 2019 at 16:01.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks