Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 09:28   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Connect by Reliance Jio

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Something pretty much similar to this.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rt-system.html

My friend has seen this work. You can start the car from your mobile and the climate control will cool the car before you get in. It was in automatic in Dubai btw. I think in manual trannys, we have to leave the car in neutral, but it is a safety hazard.
As you correctly pointed, manual transmissions and most people leaving the car in 1st gear when parked would be a big hurdle for remotely starting the engine. But there are other issues as well.

Technical feasibility is not really a problem I was hinting at. With "Engine start/stop" buttons popping up even on small hatches, the technology to start the engine (and therefore accessories like AC) with a electrical signal already exists. My query was - is that possible just by using a plug-and-play OBD2 device. My guess is that it would need additional hardware and modifications to the car itself. Although Car-connect claims that it would be doing it, Jio-Car-Connect's role would most likely be limited to providing the signal to the engine-start-mechanism remotely, over a 4G network. So technically you can start the engine and cool the cabin from another city as well.

Last edited by SDP : 9th September 2016 at 10:52.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 10:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Jio-Car-Connect's role would most likely be limited to providing the signal to the engine-start-mechanism remotely, over a 4G network. So technically you can start the engine and cool the cabin from another city as well.
Or have a hacker do it for you.

Like Japan has had those high tech toilets that automatically flush, spray you after you are done etc etc, and one of those brands came out with an android app for toilet control back in 2013.

With the default password set to 0000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-remotely.html

We're all quite used to toilets securing which simply means closing the door when you're inside, right? Now you need a firewall and a password security policy just so that you can relieve yourself in peace.

Do you want that to happen with a car? Oh wait it has already happened. https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hacker...-jeep-highway/
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 10:58   #18
BHPian

Similar product launched by Quikr. Its called QuikrScanner For Cars.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/quikr-...ur-car-better/

Edit: Looks like we have a forum opened yesterday for this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rs-1499-a.html

Last edited by sbala : 9th September 2016 at 10:59.
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 11:57   #19
BHPian

Honk Balance or restriction is a potential security challenge.
Just Imagine you are out of honk balance and you get into a situation where honking is absolutely necessary. Mostly applicable for driving on the hills during daytime.

On all the blind curves of hills, you will find a notice that says "Sound Horn", this one is not for fun or irritation but safety.
CarJunki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 12:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Just Imagine you are out of honk balance and you get into a situation where honking is absolutely necessary. Mostly applicable for driving on the hills during daytime.

On all the blind curves of hills, you will find a notice that says "Sound Horn", this one is not for fun or irritation but safety.
These are simply my thoughts on how this technology can be used in controlling honking problem on the roads. Of course whether it should it be done, how to implement, etc. are matter of research and development. The idea of sharing this post was to understand how with smart cars our behaviour etc can be changed for disciplined driving. And how Jio is progressing towards it with Car Connect.

Quote:
Looks interesting.
A mashup of a OBD2-scanner + WiFi Hotspot + Torque App + Flo app ?

Ummm.. I don't see how this can be implemented.
Internet of Things (IoT)??

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
This is super cool. Any word on possible launch dates and pricing?
I asked but the guy who gave the demo and he told me it's still under R&D phase and the app is still in beta just for prototype demo purpose. No information available about the price yet.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 9th September 2016 at 12:51. Reason: merging back to back posts
fundubytes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:09   #21
BANNED

There are quite a few startups recently which have come up with apps regarding OBD. I guess JIO will render them useless.
Old 9th September 2016, 14:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
the fact that data is completely free
Correct me if I am wrong. I thought only voice & sms are free. Data is paid.

Reliance would encourage higher data usage as it is their core revenue stream. Jio Car Connect is also focusing on increasing data usage among Reliance Jio users.

It is nice to see such developments. However, connected cars pose privacy and security threats. Here is the link to a scary and fairly well-read article. Reliance’s lack of experience and expertise in developing robust & secured software is not very confidence boosting.
vagabond128 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 14:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. I thought only voice & sms are free. Data is paid.
I think he is referring to the data free period till December (I remember data is free till December). You are also right. Voice and sms are free during the entire time period.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 16:01   #24
BHPian

Interesting - but the proof would be in their ability to deliver. I got the Jio MiFi device about 3-4 months ago through someone at JIO officially and I am not kidding - they delivered 6 different SIM cards to me - and made me fill out a form and provide photographs and other identification proof 6 times before they finally figured out how to get the device operational. I really doubt their ability to roll out their entire bouquet of services flawlessly. Even if they have the best network I would still prefer to stick to an older operator. So, given my experience I shall take this product too with a pinch of salt.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 16:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundubytes View Post
With Jio Car Connect, you may get a limited set of honks balance every month and so once you have exceeded the limits, you are fined.
I don't want to honk excessively. But, at the same time, I would like to retain my freedom. As CarJunki rightly pointed out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundubytes View Post
Your driving pattern is shared with RTO
I am not subscribing to any service (unless legally bound to) that shares my data with RTO. Scary stuff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I think he is referring to the data free period till December (I remember data is free till December).
Thanks for pointing it out. I am not sure if Jio Car Connect would be launched well within this deadline.
vagabond128 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 18:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

WIth Jio Car Connect you can switch on your car AC when you start walking towards the parking lot.

Ummm.. I don't see how this can be implemented.
Mahindra e2O already has this feature.
Not sure how they can start the car, since my car does not start without pressing the clutch pedal.

So agree with your views that existing cars would need modification for this to work.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 13:08   #27
BHPian

Will this technology be specific to Tata vehicles only?

I'd love to have this thing in my car too. Hoping they release it supported to all.
Old 12th September 2016, 23:27   #28

I found 2 demo videos of Jio Car Connect on Youtube.

fundubytes is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 21:14   #29
BHPian

Looks like MapmyIndia has already a device of similar nature, not sure if this is already available in the market!

http://www.mapmyindia.com/drivemate/product
Old 20th September 2016, 17:05   #30
BHPian

Looks inviting! Thinking the device and app should be useful in one or more ways, especially if this could really help in tracking the cars in a theft scene (in case of a non techie thief).

The honk balancing or controlling feature might land up in trouble at times is what I feel.

As always, Internet of Things (IoT) has its own pros and cons.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks