Team-BHP - music system for under 20K
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   music system for under 20K (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/1803-music-system-under-20k.html)

cud u guys suggest me a good set up for my M800. i've got a pioneer head-unit.....and i've got around 18-20K to spend on the rest (incl stuff like alpine and blaupunkt that u get officially in india and also grey market stuff like pioneer). what cud be the best config?? what wud be the best brands for each component?? thanxxxx.

PS- or shud i wait and spend the dough on getting the new nokia 7610 when it comes out?? *

What exactly are you looking to get? Speakers, amps, subs? What size speakers does a M800 take?

everything except the head-unit. i'm lookin for the max stuff i can get for the money.......an amp and a sub (guess the 800 will take 8" or 10" subs) and a really good set of speakers. will it be better to make the sub sealed or free-air?

Manticore, 20 grand is good money for a premium sound setup especially since you already have a headunit.

My suggestion

1. Pioneer 944 amplifier (Rs.13000)- The biggest and baddest amplifier Pioneer has ever made. I have one in my Vtec and you are free to come by and check the sound out. Highly tuneable amplifier with crystal sound output even at high rpms'!

2. Pioneer 12" 800W subwoofer (Rs.3000) - The bass will blow your brains out. Nightclubish kinda sound if you like that, It was what I was looking for.

3. Pioneer 6990's or 690Rs (Rs. 2900/Rs.5000) - Ajmat has the same, and I can tell you that these are the best sounding speakers I have come across...Period.

As I mentioned before, I have exactly the same set-up in my Vtec and you can drop in with your music to listen to the sound. I have spent more than a week fine-tuning the various settings and get compliments from even the sternest of audio-heads everytime they have sat in my Honda.

Hope that helps

GTO

thanx a lot buddy, that was gr8 help. wish i cud check out ur system, but me'z in delhi......anyways. thnx again. take care.

Hey,

forgot to add, but do keep in mind that the cables for such a fitting will take up atleast a grand out of your wallet. The fitting varies between 600 - 2500 depending on the persons experience and the shops scale of business.

GTO

manticore,

What size speakers does the M800 take? 5.25", 6.5", 6x9's? You should try replacing the speakers first since a sub might be pushing the weak electrical system in a M800. Pioneer speakers are pretty efficient and can be run off the head unit. Before you get an amp, check the size of your alternator. It should be capable of producing atleast 40-50amps of current to reliably add an amp/sub combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]It should be capable of producing atleast 40-50amps of current to reliably add an amp/sub combo.

Not a problem, you can just add a capacitator to take care of the amplifiers needs. No draining the battery / alternator then.

GTO

hmmm......how much does a capacitor thats able to handle the amp/sub combo cost??

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 03 2004,22:31)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]It should be capable of producing atleast 40-50amps of current to reliably add an amp/sub combo.

Not a problem, you can just add a capacitator to take care of the amplifiers needs. No draining the battery / alternator then.

GTO

The cap is charged by the battery/alternator. They can release (discharge) this energy extremely fast (micro-seconds), while the discharge is quick, they take a bit of time to recharge in comparison (milli-seconds). They will not increase the capacity of an already insufficient power system. After discharging, the cap must be recharged, which puts an addittional drain (though momentary) on the car's power system. Dimming headlights is often a sign of a weak charging system, and while a cap may ease this problem, it is only a band-aid (actually even worse as the extra draw caused by the recharge cycle will further weaken the charging system). Caps are not a source of power, they must be charged everytime you start your car, and everytime you draw off of them.

Not so much concerned with the power you will be using, but i've seen hondas with alternator's as small as 30amps (which is just barely adequate to power the car's own electrical needs) let alone power an aftermarket audio system with subwoofers. I am only guessing the M800 would be in the same boat if not even more so since its a smaller (and cheaper) car.

But, what you can try to do is running the speakers off your head unit, and saving the amp for a small efficient sub. It could just work. Also what kind of brands are avaliable in india besides pioneer?

Good luck let us know how you make out..

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hmmm......how much does a capacitor thats able to handle the amp/sub combo cost??

Depending on your budget it can start at 2 grand and go up to 15.

Vtec11, Pioneer is available only unofficially in India which is surprising since they are the most dominant players in most souped up cars.

The brands available officially are Sony, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, Alpine and a new american brand which just got launched. Forget their name but saw the ad in Autocar

GTO

rockford ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The brands available officially are Sony, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, Alpine and a new american brand which just got launched

Alpine in India ! Really ? They have some good car audio components. And this, probably will set the stage for some more good brands to make their way into India.
My wish list - Polk, Boston Accoustics, Nakamichi, Paradigm, Klipsch...

Hey Manti,

Are you keen on going so heavy duty with amps and subs in an M800?
Its a small car and personally i would just put in 6x9s at the rear and however big u can go (~4"/5"?) at the front.

What is the model of the head unit you have? How many watts RMS ? Is it Tape/CD/MP3 ?

VTEC11 is right, the capacitors are only a momentary defense system for the extreme peaks of the music (being the banging bass which sucks the most power), and capacitors will not help an aldready poor power system.

Call me conservative but i'd just buy the speakers i mentioned above and the sound should be fine for a M800 (provided ur head unit is good) and save the rest of the money maybe for new tires or something?
but thats me

cheers
Rehaan

ps - yeah powerslave...i have an alpine system in the w123 and i just so much prefer the well balanced sound of the alpine systems to the bass heavy blaupunkts etc.... but its a matter of personal listening preference.

Rehaan,

That's a good point. Its another option for manti. I too would try this first. Get some 6x9's in the back (if the M800 takes them) and some front speakers. If you want more bass you can then add a 4 channel amp, should drive some good bass with a decent pair of 6x9's..

Alpine electronics are very good. Its nice they have em in india now..