Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2006, 12:50   #1
BHPian

Uninteruppted Power for ICE

Hi Frens!!
I have a concern with the music system in my car, more of an annoying issue really...
I have Alpine 9851R fitted with the Kenwood OEM speakers from Suzuki, all is fine.... except the system restarting every time I switch off the engine.
I would like to avoid this, also if I have the radio on the powered antenna goes down and starts again...

I feel that there's some possible solution by drawing power directly from the battery...
has anybody thought about this? if you have found a solution, please can you help me?
Any valuable feedback is very much appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!
Old 13th October 2006, 13:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

You can take power from the battery instead of from the ignition switch. be careful is you leave your stereo on overnight accedently you might not be able to start the car the next morning.
Old 13th October 2006, 13:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Your alpine 9851 has two power cables. One is Yellow (always on) and one is Red (works with the ignition key)
If you wish to have the system always on, simply disconnect the red cable from where it is now and join it to the yellow cable.

1. Make sure you use lots of insulation tape.
2. As Navin rightly pointed out, make sure you switch your system off when you leave the car, or else you will run down your battery.
Old 13th October 2006, 13:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

What exactly do you want, an always on system, or a sytem which retails its power when engine is off but key in in ignition?
My indica system remains on on engine turn off and goes off only when the key is removed from the starter.
I think thats what you want, rather than an always on system which gets power wether the key is in ignition or not?
Old 13th October 2006, 14:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
My indica system remains on on engine turn off and goes off only when the key is removed from the starter.
Your Indica ignition switch is designed like that. Once switched on, it stays on, regardless of the engine condition, till the key is pulled out. It has absolutely nothing to do with the system wiring.
Certain cars cut off the ignition supply to the accessories while starting up. I think he is referring to this fact. When you turn the ignition on, the deck comes on. (Assuming you didn't put the system off, just used the key to shut it down, while leaving the car) Then when you crank the engine, the deck goes off and the power antenna begins to retract etc, then once the engine is on, the power antenna goes back up and the deck comes back on.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bruce I think it is possible to get what you want, One of my friends Wagon R has Balu HU & its power is independant of the Key, i.e. teh HU works irrespective of whether engine is switched on or off or whether there is key or not. The bad is you haev to remeber to turn your system off every time you leave the car.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Certain cars cut off the ignition supply to the accessories while starting up.
I have heard people saying that cranking a car, with the music system on, can ruin the system in the long run...(Reason- a sudden gush of power supply, after cranking can cause trouble with the system) Is it true?
Old 13th October 2006, 14:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@technocrat - Older Blaupunkt head units had intelligent on. If you tried to switch the unit on, with the ignition off, it would still switch on, but shut itself after an hour. A typical case of European over-engineering. I am afraid the Alpine does not do this.

@ess_a - There can be no sudden "gush". The battery is 12V and 12V is all it can gush out. However, it is not nice for any electronic products to be switched on and off rapidly. Also, when cars are fired up (by cranking the engine) the voltage may drop to as low as 10V because of the load of the starter. In the case of sophisticated electronics, this sudden drop may hurt the components inside.

Ideally, your system should be off, BEFORE you start the car. Ofcourse most of us (including me) don't follow that rule.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your Indica ignition switch is designed like that. Once switched on, it stays on, regardless of the engine condition, till the key is pulled out. It has absolutely nothing to do with the system wiring.
Certain cars cut off the ignition supply to the accessories while starting up. I think he is referring to this fact. When you turn the ignition on, the deck comes on. (Assuming you didn't put the system off, just used the key to shut it down, while leaving the car) Then when you crank the engine, the deck goes off and the power antenna begins to retract etc, then once the engine is on, the power antenna goes back up and the deck comes back on.
Yes I agree, when you crank engine, system goes off. Thats not the query however. He says that when he turns off the engine, the system resets. though I have seen system off while cranking in many cars, including a indica petrol, I have not seen system going off while engine turning off

Quote:
except the system restarting every time I switch off the engine.
I would like to avoid this, also if I have the radio on the powered antenna goes down and starts again
Old 13th October 2006, 14:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@technocrat - Older Blaupunkt head units had intelligent on. If you tried to switch the unit on, with the ignition off, it would still switch on, but shut itself after an hour. A typical case of European over-engineering. I am afraid the Alpine does not do this.

Ideally, your system should be off, BEFORE you start the car. Ofcourse most of us (including me) don't follow that rule.
Wow thats a nice feature didnt know this Thanks Sam.

As about switching off the system, I do it before both starting & shutting of almost 95% of the times
Old 13th October 2006, 15:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ofcourse most of us (including me) don't follow that rule.
What?

As bad as this is I know this to be true (most people don't switch the AC/ICE off). I live in a building where we have to double/triple park so often I have to move a few cars to get my car out. Each car I have moved so far has it's AC on and ICE on (usually at full volume).

One option I can think of is to get a timer that can be set from 5 secs to say 20 secs and is reset when the ignition is turned off. THis way your accessories wont come on untill 5-20 secs after you have got ignition.
Old 13th October 2006, 15:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
There can be no sudden "gush". The battery is 12V and 12V is all it can gush out. However, it is not nice for any electronic products to be switched on and off rapidly.
In the case of sophisticated electronics, this sudden drop may hurt the components inside.

Oh good! So one neednt worry too much... BTW i have fallen into a habit of switching off the system before turning off the engine.. (Diesels idle to save their engine, i do that to save my system!!) Fear psychosis i guess...
Old 13th October 2006, 15:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

if its system resetting (as in all settings including clock going to default) then ur yellow wire (direct battery) is also wired with the (through ignition) red wire or a ulta pulta scene, but if its just momentary on n off while cranking then its the way the system is should work as designed by car manufacturer and all the above advices hold good

@Navin.. delay switch is a good idea something similar to professional home systems
Old 14th October 2006, 22:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Oh good! So one neednt worry too much... BTW i have fallen into a habit of switching off the system before turning off the engine.. (Diesels idle to save their engine, i do that to save my system!!) Fear psychosis i guess...
i guess you have developed a good habit & i would suggest you do not kick it. it is hard for people like me though. i like to idle the engine & listen to music while i pick up my things & when i am all set, i just turn off the car & pull out the key.

@Bruce... You can draw power directly from the battery & have uniterrupted ICE only as long as your battery & electricals are fine. if your battery is weak, then your ICE will restart because all the available power would have gone to the starter. like everyone here has said, do not forget to switch off the system when you leave the car. cheers
Old 19th October 2006, 18:41   #15
BANNED

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce
Hi Frens!!
I have a concern with the music system in my car, more of an annoying issue really...
I have Alpine 9851R fitted with the Kenwood OEM speakers from Suzuki, all is fine.... except the system restarting every time I switch off the engine.
I would like to avoid this, also if I have the radio on the powered antenna goes down and starts again...

I feel that there's some possible solution by drawing power directly from the battery...
has anybody thought about this? if you have found a solution, please can you help me?
Any valuable feedback is very much appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!

all you got to do is to add a 4700 mfd/63v or 10,000 mfd/63v condensor (capaciator) . you will have to wire the positive of the capaciator terminal to the red wire and the negative of the capaciator with the car gruond or earth .

you could add a 470 mfd/63v for the yellow line .

even if the car stalls in the middle of the traffic ,and you want to restart the engine ,the music will still keep playing . however ,when you add the 470 mfd ,after you switch off the ignition ,the system would still play for abt 5 secs ,before your music system switches off .

peak charging current of a car is 14.4 v . Any music system which is manufactured has an operating range of 10-14.4v . Adding the extra capaciators would keep your car supply steady to the music system ,and nothing will be damaged . Infact the system would be much better with the capaciators .

have a try !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks