Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2004, 18:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys/and girl!

The stock speakers that came with the Octavia are quite crappy. High on treble and low midrange and no base. In other words...taxi speakers !!

Need to get some decent replacements. Not looking to spend too much and I don not want to cut/break/etc any part of the interiors. They need to fit in the stock cutouts.

I got a Pioneer MP5550 head unit. What should I get guys? And should i keep the existing speakers (as they have decent treble) and just support them with some good quality 3-ways with base?

thanks
tech.
Old 13th April 2004, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

The best to match ur Pioneer system is with original Pioneer speakers. There is quite a range available to choose from infact i'm getting new ones for my Sierra too

Cheers
Old 13th April 2004, 19:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rtech,

So you do not want to cut the rear fibre shelf. My suggestion to you is to take out the existing rear shelf, and in its place put in a MDF/Wooden shelf. These are available as direct fits for a variety of cars now, the Octavia included. That way you do not cut the original shelf, and can always put it back whenever you intend to sell the car.

The MDF shelf will give you phenomenal audio quality, and your system should match well with Pioneer 2 way 690R's or Pioneer 4 way 6990's. I have fitted the 690's in my Vtec on an MDF shelf, and you are most welcome to come by and check it out. The sound quality is phenomenal (Ajmat will vouch for this) and the speakers are the latest in Pioneers super-power series. Has a lovely yellow cone to match.

If you want to retain the current parcel shelf in the car, and not cut it...there really is no option for you to gain superior sound quality. The Octavia MDF board costs around Rs.850 and is a superb option.

GTO
Old 13th April 2004, 21:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

offtopic: hey gto could u shed some light on my necvox screen deal????
i will be taking them this weekend, but looks like every one of my friends think its a dud deal
Old 14th April 2004, 06:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ April 13 2004,19:50)]offtopic: hey gto could u shed some light on my necvox screen deal????
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

poor guy is still asking about this and no1 has even mentioned the word "necvox" in their replies

Aadix,
I dont remember the price u quoted, but it seemed pretty low.. which would just lead me to doubt the quality.
Also IMO a LCD screen in a car is really a thing u will loev for the fist week and then never use!! (unless its for GPS)

cheers
R
Old 14th April 2004, 06:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Oh,

and Rtech, im not sure about the octavia...btu most cars come stock with paper cones, so that aint no good.
I guess u might wanna stick with pioneer as thats what your head unit is. (I dont know about pioneer sound.....im purely an Alpine kinda guy with a touch of blaupunkt).
So if you could upgrade to better quality speakers and maybe 1" bigger or something theres a possibility it might fit in your existing parcel shelf. Although as GTO said the MDF shelf will improve the sound, especially the bass.....how noticeable it will be though ..cant really say.

cya
R
Old 14th April 2004, 11:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 13 2004,18:01)]I have fitted the 690's in my Vtec on an MDF shelf, and you are most welcome to come by and check it out. The sound quality is phenomenal (Ajmat will vouch for this) and the speakers are the latest in Pioneers super-power series.
I vouch for this - only pointers - don't be disappointed if the Bass sounds inadequate initially, the speakers need to be "run in". Need a good amp to drive the bass. Speakers show up a good recording
Old 14th April 2004, 12:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

thanks for the info guys.

GTO, how much do those speakers cost, the 690's?? And where is hte best place to get em put in? I'd rather not remove the existing shelf though if possible. I don't really wanna spend too much on the system though as thats not really a priority for me, so amps. etc are out of the question. 4 good speakers should cover it I think.

P.S. I got the original Blaupunkt system which came OE with the car which I would like to exchange for the speakers if possible.
Old 14th April 2004, 13:24   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rtech,

If you want, drop me a line on the weekend and we can go down to my car accessories chap. Hes around the corner from my house, and I need to tune some things in my Vtec anyways.

690R's cost an apprx of Rs.5000. 6990's are way cheaper though, a little less than Rs. 3000

If you dont opt for the MDF, nor cut the current shelf, I seriously dont think there is a way to accomodate 690R's. Even if you do manage to fit them, the forced fitting wont really do any justice to what the speakers are capable of throwing out.

Why dont you get your Blaupunkt along? We'll speak to him in person.

GTO

P.S. - Aadix the price you have got for the LCD is decent and pretty much with the trend. Buttttttttttttttt for the reasons mentioned by Rehaan, I have never considered a LCD in any of my cars.
Old 14th April 2004, 13:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

hey thx rehaan! finally some one,
well that guy said he will show me a demo, and only if i like it, i can take it,
thanks again dude,
Old 14th April 2004, 13:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

thx gto,
lets see, really want a lcd screen, in muh car.........
Old 14th April 2004, 15:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

sounds good GTO. Will call you to set things up. Which part of town is your guy at btw??
Old 12th May 2004, 10:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ April 14 2004,10:34)]P.S. I got the original Blaupunkt system which came OE with the car which I would like to exchange for the speakers if possible.
Hi rtech.
Option one: If you don’t want to remove that existing shelf then do nothing at this point in time. As GTO says, sound will not improve unless you fix your speakers on MDF board. No matter how expensive the speakers are.
Option two: Since you have Blaupunkt as OE, consider Blaupunkt speakers.
This is not a must but Blaupunkt being officially present here may give you a better price option. For door speakers, you can go for TSG 540 (4200/-). Amplifier GTA 450
(9700/-). Cylindrical subwoofer GTT 1200 (5100/-). Any speaker similar to Pioneer 690's for the rear shelf would cost you +- the same. May be little less.
Do not buy any speakers or amp from your car dealer. They will milk you dry by adding their commission. The prices I’ve mentioned above are Bangalore market rate. You may get a better deal in Bombay through GTO’s connection.
But for a good sound, MDF board is a must.
Cheers.
Rudra.
Old 12th May 2004, 12:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hi Rudra,

I actually have a Pioneer single CD head unit. What I meant was I have the original Blaupunkt system with me, which I hope to exchange for some speakers.

Looks like everyone says an MDF board is needed. Whats the reasoning behind this? The problem is if I do put speakers on the parcel shelf, and i ned to carry a large load, its gonna be a problem. The Skoda has a place above the rear struts for speaker, although its not too large a space, butI think it would make sense to find speakers to fit that, and compromise on the sound a bit (or a lot??) i guess.

What say?
Old 12th May 2004, 12:45   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Looks like everyone says an MDF board is needed. Whats the reasoning behind this?
Rtech, MDF is undoubtedly the best raw material to use for speaker platforms or boxes, since MDF is extremely well damped - Acoustically. It also has far superior sonic properties. MDF is the most easy to work with as it can be easily shaped. You should see the platform in my Vtec...Its such a perfect fit that one cant even tell about teh platform presence.

I also have custom made an entire speaker enclosure to accomodate the speakers in my Jeep. It fits right below the rear seat.

Let me put it this way, the bass and deep throaty response of my speakers increased atleast 5 times after I installed the speakers onto a MDF board.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks