Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2016, 12:07   #1
BHPian

Recording radio from your ICE?

Hi All

Searched to see if there was a similar thread but couldn't find one so starting a new one. If there is one, request @Mods to merge the thread.

Scenario:
You are driving to office and get to hear about an ad for something - a new housing scheme coming up, an offer for a discounted full body check-up, a holiday deal for a vacation - you get the gist. Most of the times they will give a phone number / website information at the end of the ad. Now you are driving and cant note it down. Eventually you get to office and forget. True you could always get home / at work and ask Googlebaba - but not all of these would have a full webpage / data.

What could you do?
Have the cell phone handy and hit the voice recorder - simple. But its not safe.

What would be better?
A simple "record" button on the ICE. Voice could be stored in the SD card in the card slot etc. The moment you hit "record" the ICE records it as a voice note - and the same can then be replayed.

There could be some Andriod HU's where this may be avaialble - but navigating to the record button while driving is again not safe. We have a intuitive feel of the hard buttons on our HU's and can change radio stations / toggle audio sources pretty much without taking our eyes off the road.

Would this be a deal sweetener for you or do you see this as a fancy 'nice to have - party tricks type'. I personally feel that being able to record Radio / voice generally on your ICE could be a very nice feature in your car.

Comments ?
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 16:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Recording radio from your ICE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
What would be better?
A simple "record" button on the ICE.

Would this be a deal sweetener for you or do you see this as a fancy 'nice to have - party tricks type'. I personally feel that being able to record Radio / voice generally on your ICE could be a very nice feature in your car.
Firstly have a HU that can record can come in handy if you often need to record your own thoughts while driving.

That said unless there is a control on the steering wheel that permits this it would be unsafe. Since this requirement is a rather niche requirement I do not see car audio manufacturers or OEMs integrating this into HUs. It would also mean having some way (maybe via USB port) to copy those recordings off the HU and onto a portable device (mobile).

In my view too small a niche to garner any attention from the big players.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 16:55   #3
BHPian

A sony audio recorder like this costs about 4k

http://www.amazon.in/Sony-ICDPX333-CE7-Digital-Voice-Recorder/dp/B00BOK931C

You might want to have a look at that...ultra portable
Or Maybe you want to check out a dashcam with sound recording option, that should do the trick.

Dont know if any other after market options for ICE are available.
nitishk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 16:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

recording will mean a lot of added IP in terms of recording functionality plus royalty payments to the music industry who will be very quick to point out that car recording is killing them - all for a feature only few will use
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 12:16   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recording radio from your ICE?

Just use the voice recorder on your phone and make a quick note. I'm a big voice notes guy and am always making notes (when away from my desk). On a typical day, I have ~15 voice notes on my phone.

Your requirement is too niche for any manufacturer to bother with. But if this is very important to you, there are some solutions available internationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
car recording is killing them
Well said!

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2016 at 12:18.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GTO: Just use the voice recorder on your phone ...
+1 .. This is the simplest way .. and I have done this a few times.
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just use the voice recorder on your phone .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post
A sony audio recorder like this costs about 4k
Thanks for the comments, yes the phone recorder on the phone is an available option, but I am not sure it comes in handy for the needs stated. The idea is to record something instantaneously at the touch of a button - not taking out a phone, unlocking it, starting the voice recorder on the phone .. and then recording. What I am looking for is to record something instantaneously - like a number spoken in the radio ads.

True - if a record function is given, it will potentially mean that people could record songs too, but I would think that cabin noise - like AC blowing, honking etc may not give you the best quality. And why would you go the lengths when you could get the songs on itunes and other means available freely.

I dont think there was anything available in OEMs hence put the question out to the forum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks