Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:35   #31
BHPian

Somewhat related, i will post here anyway. I need some help painting a pirce of my dash panel. After i am done fabricating the dash panel i need to paint it match it as close as the original in color.

Can anyone give me advice/contacts to a good paint shop that can paint on plastic ?

cheers.
Old 27th October 2006, 12:33   #32
BHPian

Hey all,
I am almost dont with the dash fabrication and i have done all the glue related parts. I now have to reinforce the dash with some screws and pins and it should be ready to paint.

Any one have any good leads to a shop that can do a good paint job on this, picture attached, its a phone camera picture so not the best quality.

cheers.

Old 27th October 2006, 13:02   #33
BHPian

USB ports

These are my finished switch and usb ports. These are built into the empty switch covers that go into the lower console.

Old 27th October 2006, 14:58   #34
BHPian

coming along nicely. have you recessed the lcd benzel for a reason ? there seems to be a depth of bout 1" from the surface. you plan on filling the gap on the top corners ? also you'd prolly have to mask off the ac labels prior to painting, dunno if they're removable, can't make out much from the pic.
Old 27th October 2006, 15:56   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn
coming along nicely. have you recessed the lcd benzel for a reason ? there seems to be a depth of bout 1" from the surface. you plan on filling the gap on the top corners ? also you'd prolly have to mask off the ac labels prior to painting, dunno if they're removable, can't make out much from the pic.
Thanks. The screen was going to be recessed anyway to try and avoid some direct sunlight, though i had to angle it in a way that its recessed more at the bottom than its at the top. Thats because of the angle of the dash, its jutting out more in bottom in the car and i had to counter that.

I have Bondo body filler with which i will fill in the gaps and sand it to shape before i am ready for paint. I may have found someone to paint it, a friend knows someone who does the paintwork for Performance Cars and is highly recommended.

The labels are stickers and pop right off. I also have extras in case i would have screwed up .

cheers.
Old 27th October 2006, 17:21   #36
BHPian

Great Idea

Hey Ankur, its great idea. I have been thinking of doing the same thing after seeing that same site(carmp3.com). One [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]recommendation, dont use the shutdown option on the system instead use [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]hibernate its much faster. [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]P.S. what are you using for Cd input??[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 27th October 2006, 18:05   #37
BHPian

Great Idea - cont

Hey,
Completely for got to ask, what are you using for the sound output I recommend something like Audigy Value coz with that you can hook up a car entratainment kit which has a infra red control unit as well. It’s a 7.1 unit, with a bit depth of 24bit and can support up 8 speakers.[FONT=Garamond]
Old 27th October 2006, 20:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedonline
Hey Ankur, its great idea. I have been thinking of doing the same thing after seeing that same site(carmp3.com). One recommendation, dont use the shutdown option on the system instead use hibernate its much faster.

P.S. what are you using for Cd input??
Hi,
Actually i will be using the S3 standby mode, its fast and somewhat power efficient. My power supply is intelligent and will shut down the system if the battery voltage goes below a certain threshold.

I have a slot loading USB DVDR drive that i will use for CD/DVD media. I had hoped to be able to mount it upfront but there is just no room. I will now mount it along with the case. It will not be that easy to get to it but when i thought about it, i dont use too many CDs anyway. Any CD that i find good songs on, i will rip and convert to MP3s.

cheers.
Old 27th October 2006, 20:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,
Completely for got to ask, what are you using for the sound output I recommend something like Audigy Value coz with that you can hook up a car entratainment kit which has a infra red control unit as well. It’s a 7.1 unit, with a bit depth of 24bit and can support up 8 speakers.[FONT=Garamond]
I am not really an audiophile and 7.1 in a car ? i dont know about that . I would be happy with the onboard 5.1 sound and if i really cant stand the audio i have planned to get the Audigy USB at a later stage and use that. But basically 5.1 is good enough for me.

cheers.
Old 27th October 2006, 20:38   #40
BANNED

neat very nice indeed
Old 28th October 2006, 21:11   #41
BHPian

Hey Ankur,

Not bad just another idea, you could also get a usb wifi card to hookup your car pc to your home pc. Yes the usb Audigy is a viable upgrade. I hope you would be using a coomaster fan and the thermal paste.

Please keep us updated of your progress
Old 28th October 2006, 23:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ankur,

Not bad just another idea, you could also get a usb wifi card to hookup your car pc to your home pc. Yes the usb Audigy is a viable upgrade. I hope you would be using a coomaster fan and the thermal paste.

Please keep us updated of your progress
Hi,
I have a Linksys USB wifi card that will be in there and i have also boosted my wifi signal at home to be able to reach outside .

Coolermaster etc are not needed, here is a picture of my motherboard, its all basically a large heatsink.

Old 28th October 2006, 23:41   #43
BHPian

Hi Ankur.. If possible please provide the cost break up of your setup. The setup really looks cool.
Old 29th October 2006, 00:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
Hi Ankur.. If possible please provide the cost break up of your setup. The setup really looks cool.
Hehehe i try to never leave evidence, what if my wife happens to read the forum some day .

Ok let me live on the edge and attempt it :

(Prices are kinda approx, they dont include shipping, may keep updating this list as i remember)
Motherboard : $220
Ram : $85
HDD : $75
DVDR : $120
GPS : $75
LCD Touchscreen, extra faceplates, headrest shroud : $400
Case and Powersupply : $250
2 Mini Power supplies (for camera, screen etc) : $75
Infra Red Camera : $50
Bluetooth Dongle : $50
Wifi Adapter : $50
OBDII (ECM) scanner : $130
FM Radio tuner : $150
15v Power Supply for home testing the setup : $60
Poweres FM antenna : $50
Mini Keyboard : $35
Finger mouse : $30
Misc (Cables, USB hub, Mic, Nokia data cable, small supplies) : $100

I also had to buy some spare interior parts from Toyota, very inexpensive. I didnt work on part from my car, only on extra pieces. Its my first attempt at building something like this so i knew i would need extras , so far its been good.

Also a Dremel Stylus tool, Bondo bodyfiller, Plastic epoxy.

I have still to get to the audio portion of the build, damn. But that part seems simple, not too much to buy or build.
Old 29th October 2006, 00:35   #45
Team-BHP Support

The prices are a little strange. For example a digital FM tuner costs just 10$ or so in the US!!

Most Viewed