Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2006, 23:43   #76
BANNED

hi

Hello Ankur ,

You setup is certainly awesome ,but prohibitively costly . Another thing is Via Processors are good initially ,but by mistake if they over heat their performance is drasitcally reduced .

This is out of experience,I distribute computer components and comparing a via with a P3 processor I can say that a P3 is anyday better .

Another thing is the M-ITX boards have processors built in ,You cant replace the processors if you wanted to ,but there is another option for people who have plans to install a carputer .

There are motherboards by jetway and krypton which hae embedded processors and some boards also have sockets for replacing the processors to p3 .

pricing for the motherboards are around 3,000 rs for the jetway c3 800 embedded board and around 2500 for the board with the sockets .

You can use a regular p3 ram and the boards are a bit bigger than the mini-itx .
Old 12th November 2006, 12:49   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000
Hello Ankur ,

You setup is certainly awesome ,but prohibitively costly . Another thing is Via Processors are good initially ,but by mistake if they over heat their performance is drasitcally reduced .

This is out of experience,I distribute computer components and comparing a via with a P3 processor I can say that a P3 is anyday better .

Another thing is the M-ITX boards have processors built in ,You cant replace the processors if you wanted to ,but there is another option for people who have plans to install a carputer .

There are motherboards by jetway and krypton which hae embedded processors and some boards also have sockets for replacing the processors to p3 .

pricing for the motherboards are around 3,000 rs for the jetway c3 800 embedded board and around 2500 for the board with the sockets .

You can use a regular p3 ram and the boards are a bit bigger than the mini-itx .
Hi,
Firstly i was not taking the cost into too much consideration, if it was prohibitive i wouldnt be doing it would it would i. You cant compare a P3 with a VIA processor just on the face value. The requirements for a car pc are very different from a desktop. The size, heat generation and energy consumption are paramount and in that the VIA scores higher. The Mini ITX platform is the most popular car pc platform and i chose the best combo i could find, which is the EN15000 (running a C7 processor).

I have a 3 yr warranty on my board, would you give me that today for a P3 ? I have not heard of any reviews on car pc's on krypton boards but jetway boards have more bad reviews than good ones. Its basically a CHEAP board and i didnt want to cut corners.

Broadly there is no perfect solution. Even on a desktop setup there are choices, you could choose an AMD platform or an Intel or even a Mac. Each has its pros and cons and you decide whats the best for you. Based on all the research i did i made a choice with the VIA. There are many people who go the other end and put full fledged Centrino or P4 setups with fast graphics card, SATA drives etc etc.

cheers.

PS. These are all my opnions ofcourse.
Old 12th November 2006, 12:52   #78
BHPian

Ok finally the dash was painted and its looking really good. The edges have come out a little jagged but i like anyway. I am going to try and smoothen them out later with a sketch pen or marker.

Old 15th November 2006, 16:23   #79
BHPian

Another update, the screen is now mounted in the dash piece seen above but is still sitting in my den. I am now waiting for my reverse camera/sensors to arrive and also this lovely piece of equipment before i begin installing in the car :

This, in case anyone is wondering, is the MMI controller from an Audi A3. I am going to hook it up with my car pc and install it in the center armrest.

cheers.
Old 15th November 2006, 17:13   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur
Hehehe i try to never leave evidence, what if my wife happens to read the forum some day .

Ok let me live on the edge and attempt it :

(Prices are kinda approx, they dont include shipping, may keep updating this list as i remember)
Motherboard : $220
Ram : $85
HDD : $75
DVDR : $120
GPS : $75
LCD Touchscreen, extra faceplates, headrest shroud : $400
Case and Powersupply : $250
2 Mini Power supplies (for camera, screen etc) : $75
Infra Red Camera : $50
Bluetooth Dongle : $50
Wifi Adapter : $50
OBDII (ECM) scanner : $130
FM Radio tuner : $150
15v Power Supply for home testing the setup : $60
Poweres FM antenna : $50
Mini Keyboard : $35
Finger mouse : $30
Misc (Cables, USB hub, Mic, Nokia data cable, small supplies) : $100

I also had to buy some spare interior parts from Toyota, very inexpensive. I didnt work on part from my car, only on extra pieces. Its my first attempt at building something like this so i knew i would need extras , so far its been good.

Also a Dremel Stylus tool, Bondo bodyfiller, Plastic epoxy.

I have still to get to the audio portion of the build, damn. But that part seems simple, not too much to buy or build.
thats 90000 there itself. what about speakers, amps, woofers etc. good setup though, havin fun viewing this...
Old 27th November 2006, 13:36   #81
BHPian

I need some help with the audio part of the system. The PC is pretty much ready (apart from some equipment thats awaited), i tried a test fit this weekend and its looking good.

Now for the audio, i am no audiophile, a decent sounding system is good for me. I am thinking a 4 channel amp driving front and rear component speakers and a powered bass tube.

I would like to retain the original look as much as possible so i would like speakers that can go into the existing door cavity and be covered with the original speaker grill. The tweeters can be out.

I need suggestions for suitable products, my budget is around 20k for all of the above.

I will be in Dubai next month and was wondering if i might get better deals there ? Anyone familiar with Dubai ?

cheers.
Old 27th November 2006, 22:38   #82
BHPian

Audio Gurus,
I am getting 2 sets of Infinity Kappa 60.7CS (4 speakers) and Infinity 7541A amp for about $500 including shipping. Is that a good deal ? I realise thats above my budget but i will skip the bass tube for now and wait a while before i can look into the bass. I dont mind doing the install in stages.

cheers.
Old 27th November 2006, 23:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

Ankur, I'm not sure of the price, but the speakers and amp are a really good choice. Real SQ stuff. You are sure to enjoy the sound. BTW, you really don't need two sets of components. Co-axials in the back will be quite ok. You can save some money there.

Unless you make at least a 15% to 20% saving on the prices, I really think it would make more sense to buy the same stuff locally (with B&W). I remember an earlier thread where a member considered buying JBL speakers off eBay, but found that the prices were higher on eBay than the prices charged by the local JBL dealer.

You'll need to pay for installation over and above the $500 (unless you DIY like your carputer). You should figure that cost in. And you'll need to spend about Rs.3000.00 for quality cabling (Audison/Scosche/JBL). (Looking at the way you've set-up your carputer, I don't think you're the type to skimp when it comes to quality stuff). Then of course, warranty support for imported stuff vs. locally bought stuff (with B&W) is another story altogether.

Unless you're getting exotic stuff that isn't available locally, I really don't think you should import anything. My personal views.

Installing in stages is the best way to build the kind of system you want. And the budget's all gone to hell huh? :-)
Old 28th November 2006, 13:14   #84
BHPian

Thanks for the advice Ashok. I am also not usually in favor of importing unless the price advantage is really there. I dont really know the prevailing prices here, can anyone comment ?

As far as cabling is concerned, i dont mind not getting high quality cabling. Like i said earlier i am not an audiophile. The reason i chose the kappa speakers is that i felt i was able to get those for the price i would get a lower quality speaker set here.

The budget ? LOL , the budget went to hell anyway with the PC part of the project. Thats why i am keeping this part low.

Can anyone refer me to a reliable Infinity source in Delhi ? I dont want to do the rounds of the regular accessory shops.

thanks.
Old 28th November 2006, 18:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

ankur, if you PM Sam Kapasi, he maybe able to give more info on Infinity dealers & prices in Delhi.

And it's Anup :-)
Old 28th November 2006, 21:56   #86

so far so good ....

Ankur,

In looking thru, i wanted to tell you what an excellent job you're doing with your project.

I had to laugh when first reading this thread. The second person who replied to your post was most histerical - questioning " why do you need a computer in your car?" LOL

I was wondering, how are you interfacing the sound into your existing system? or are you?
Old 28th November 2006, 22:03   #87

hey Ankur,

just wanted to tell you what a great job you're doing so far.

in reading the beginning of this thread, it was amusing to read the second post by
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
A PC in a car ... WHY THE HECK WUD U WANNA DO THAT ???
I was rolling on the floor laughing so hard.

In any event, keep up the great work you're doing and keep posting pics - it gives a great visual of what you're doing.

I was wondering how you are interfacing the pc sound into your existing car system? or are you?
Old 28th November 2006, 23:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

Ankur... I just read through this thread... and I am pleasantly surprised to see your work. You're in Delhi. Give me a PM/IM/call and we will be glad to help you with the audio part and anything else for that matter...
Old 29th November 2006, 00:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdigital View Post
hey Ankur,

just wanted to tell you what a great job you're doing so far.

in reading the beginning of this thread, it was amusing to read the second post by I was rolling on the floor laughing so hard.

In any event, keep up the great work you're doing and keep posting pics - it gives a great visual of what you're doing.

I was wondering how you are interfacing the pc sound into your existing car system? or are you?
Hi,
Thanks for your kind words. Computers and technology is my passion, when your family thinks you are crazy its safe to assume you are passionate about it . Great job on your setup, i also plan to document everything once i am done, so i have been taking pictures and notes while i have been working.

It doesnt bother me when people think i am nuts for doing what i am doing. So many have dont it and i want to join the club. On this very forum i have read people have spend almost the value of their cars on the ICE system, its what are excited about and kudos to them to be able to be able to feed their passion.

Actually, i am not following a very elaborate audio setup, i am replacing the existing sound system with the PC. I am using the motherboards virtual 5.1 sound of which i will use 4.1 (not the center) and pipe that directly to amps, a 4 channel for front and rear and one to either an amp and sub or a powered bass tube. At some later point i wil consider using a USB sound card from SB instead of the motherboard. Right now i am out of USB ports LOL.

I tell you its been a pain so far trying to get everything i need, i am in the wrong country for that but slowly its coming together.

cheers.
Old 29th November 2006, 00:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Ankur... I just read through this thread... and I am pleasantly surprised to see your work. You're in Delhi. Give me a PM/IM/call and we will be glad to help you with the audio part and anything else for that matter...
hey Gunbir,
What else can ask for but advice from a pro like you. I do wish i could have used your stuff but my budget doesnt allow it. I would love to pick your brains about what path i should follow and whats available here.

If you could send me your contact info by a PM i will call you tomorrow.

cheers.

Most Viewed