Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2006, 15:04   #1
BANNED

A budgeted ICE for my Honda

Audio-guru's in the forum, need your advice.
Before I even proceed, I wish to make clear my budget : 20-25K, and my highest priority is sound clarity and crispness of the music. I listen primarily to rock, both hard rock and soft rock.
I have come up with the following configuration:
HU : Pioneer 4850 (grey) for Rs. 5500
Rear speakers : Either Focal 160C for Rs. 12,600/ Infinity Kappa for 10K/DLS for Rs. 9200
Front Comps : Either JBL for 6K or Morel for 6K

I am looking to have this done within the next week. Kindly suggest the best config. possible.
Old 21st October 2006, 15:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Luv - Navin already ahs one thread outlining system config's for a budget like your. You can read more here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...k-25k-30k.html
Old 21st October 2006, 16:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

luvjascha, when you said that you like "sound clarity and crispness in music", I assume you mean that you like your music to be brigher and more forward (with emphasis to higher frequencies = treble). I think the JBLs will fit you perfectly. They are really good for rock music.

I personally haven't listened to Focals or DLS. I have listened to a setup with Infinitys long back, and if I remember them right, I don't think their high-frequency output is as much as the JBLs. I think Infinitys mix in a little more of the mids as the expense of the higher frequencies. This is good if you like the vocals to come out well.

To really get good results overall, you will need a 4 channel amp. And you should install component speakers in the front. You won't be able to figure both in, at your budget, if you go for the costlier brands like Focal, Infinity and DLS. (Most of your money will be spent on the speakers - not a bad thing in itself, but a bad thing if you don't get the most out of your speakers with an amp later).

The GTO range from JBL is really good, and front comps and rear co-axes from JBLs GTO series will most likely keep you within budget even if you add a reasonably priced 4 channel amp. I'm not sure how much the JBL CS60.4 amp is, but it should be within your budget. You can also conside the GTO75.4 amp (which will be a little costlier than the CS60.4, but will give better results).

For speakers, you should also give Hertz a listen. My personal preference (based on how I like my music) is Hertz. Their DSK series is good. Their ESK series is better.

Since you have not mentioned any future plans for a subwoofer, you should ideally buy 6x9s for the rear, so that enough bass gets in.

If you do plan to add an amp, make sure you set apart about 2500/- to 3000/- for a reasonably good RCA cable and amp wiring kit. You can get a good kit from JBL itself. Another (costlier, but a little better) option is Audison. Yes, I know this is pushing your budget a little, but you will not regret the amount spent on the cables. You will regret soon, if you buy a cheap wiring kit (they will cause low buzzing and whining sounds in the music due to poor cable quality).

If you don't want to add an amp now, spend the money saved on the speakers (buy the next best set, or buy components for the rear), or on a better HU or on the same HU with B&W. I'm not knocking the Pio4850 per se, but you need to look at ALL grey (and even with-B&W) Pio products very carefully. You are most likely than not to be passed on a fake. I would recommend you spend a little extra on a unit with bill & warranty.

And before you decide, make sure that you go though the thread iraghava has mentioned in his post. It is somewhat the bible on ICE decision-making.

Last edited by hydrashok : 21st October 2006 at 16:20.
Old 21st October 2006, 17:58   #4
BANNED

Thanks, Hydrashok. That was very informative!
I don't think I'd be interested in either an amplifier, or a subwoofer even in the near future. I'd rather use it towards a GOOD set of speakers.
JBL's GTO606Ce are definitely going as my front comps, but I'm debating between the rear speakers:Focals, Infinity or DLS?
Old 22nd October 2006, 00:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
JBL's GTO606Ce are definitely going as my front comps, but I'm debating between the rear speakers:Focals, Infinity or DLS?
by adding good speakers and playing them with a HU will do no justice to the entire setup I would prefer to dump the rear speakers and get a amp and a good pair of front components...and later on add a 10 inch sub which will not take much space but will make the sound of your setup very nice and rich.....
Old 22nd October 2006, 10:26   #6
BHPian

luv,if u r not going for amp+sub in near future then i would highly recommend 6x9" at back.Door speakers wont give u much bass,though 6.5" size will be quite capable.

Why dont u go for all infinty set-up?Compo at front and 2-way 6x9" at back with pio HU.
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Luv, I really would no recommend a 6K HU with 12K/pr speakers. Remember a chain is only as strong as the WEAKEST link.

At 25K if you dont need a sub or amp I'd consider a better HU say using about 10K for the HU. Then add a good pair of components for the front budget 10K/pr. and a pair of 6x9 coax for the rear at 5K/pr.

Since you like your sound bright and upfront (I assume this is what you mean by crispness) you could consider Hertz, JBL, etc. Focal is really good too but I dont think you'll fit in a pair of 6x9 and a pair of components from them in 15K.

Still at this level I would consider Alpine (Type R), Infinity, DLS, Hertz (they make a slightly more upmarket version that I assume will be less forward), etc.. Again Morel is also a good alternate but they are a bit more expensive than the rest mentioned.
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Still at this level I would consider Alpine (Type R), Infinity, DLS, Hertz (they make a slightly more upmarket version that I assume will be less forward), etc..
Yep. The Hertz HiEnergy and Mille series are less forward, but have more lush sound. GREAT for vocals and overall balance. I really loved the HiEnergy's sound (I listened to HSK165s a while back), even though I like my music a little (just a little) bright and forward. The Mille series I have not heard, but I have heard that the sound is laid back and well balanced.

HiEnergys are costlier than the Energy series, and the Mille series is way up there, cost-wise, but I bet they are worth every rupee, if one can afford them (and the powerful amp one would need to drive them properly).

I think KB100 has HSK163s (HiEnergy 3-way comps) in his Accent. Where have you gone, KB?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks