Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2006, 15:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCube
Pionner 944 and JBL 75.4? What is the price of Alpine MRV F345? I really liked the bridged power - 300wrms

Thanks,
-Joseph
Hey Joseph,
you never mentioned whether ur subwoofer is DVC or SVC?...
if its a dvc... here are my $0.02....
get a JBL 60.4 amp... its priced around 8k... bridge it to infinity components...
get JBL 300.1 amp... its priced around 12k... wire ur sub in parallel... this is gonna rock ur system...
Total budget 20K....
and if you are really concerned about the budget, forget it...
try getting the alpine amp from someone in US!!....priced around $250 ~= RS. 11250

regards,
ant.
Old 24th October 2006, 23:36   #17

Help on car audio/video, please!!

Hi!! Newbie here! Joined about a month back, & researched about the Tata Safari Dicor. Ended up being an extremely happy & satisfied owner of a second-hand Jan 2006 regd LX 4X2 Dicor for 5.25 L (a steal, IMHO). Now accessorising and adding ICE, as the vehicle was in stock condition with no added frills.

Been to MA Car studio (JBL dealer at Lamington Road). Planning ICE as under:

Front & Rear - 51/4" JBL GTO 507C components 55 RMS 165 Peak
Sub - JBL CS 1204 B 250 RMS 1000 Peak
4 Channel amp - CS 60.4 4X60 RMS
Monoblock - CS 300.1 300 RMS / 1000 Peak
HU - Sony MEX R1 or JVC KD DV 6104 (need a DVD player, the Sony has anti-skip protection - needed for mumbai roads? - whereas the JVC doesn't, but the JVC has a convenient front Aux In allowing an external source to be plugged in! CONFUSED...)
LCD screen - 10.4" roof mounted NecVox or Chinese made (Chinese at throwaway prices, but worried that the screen will also be a throwaway in a few months... !!)

Basically a rock listener (70s, 80s, 90s rock), with leanings towards R&B / jazz, bit of classical thrown in and the occassional indipop / pindipop to round it off!!! Definitely don't want to wake up the neighbours, but want to add sufficient and smooth groove while on the move.

Finally, the question....! AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK HERE? ANY OTHER OPTIONS? Help, please!!!!cheers:
Old 25th October 2006, 07:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

scorpindio, welcome to ICE! Looks like you've figured out your setup quite well! JBL setups are really good for Rock music. You are definitely on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpindio
Definitely don't want to wake up the neighbours, but want to add sufficient and smooth groove while on the move.
cheers:
:-) Your heart is in the right place!

I would personally stick with the SONY for the DVD player. I think the JVC should have some level of skip protection as standard, as they can't get a car HU to not have skip protection. This is just a common-sense assessment. I don't know about the JVC skip-protection capabilities for a fact.

The front aux-in is a convenient feature, if you will be plugging-in an iPod or something like that in the future. If you don't see yourself doing anything like that, don't consider the JVC just for this feature. The SONY will most likely have an aux-in (but in the back, needing removal for fitting the aux-in wire). If the SONY does not have an aux-in, the JVC sounds better.

Unless you really have the money to spend, you can substitute the rear components with co-axials. They will not make too much difference (very little difference, actually) from the driver's seat. You can save some money here, and spend it on a good quality screen. But if you will have people who really like good sound traveling in the back seat a lot, go for the components. But personally, I think co-axials will be fine.

For the LCD, better avoid the chinese-made one. As you've said, it maybe become throwaway in a few months. It would be safest to buy a unit with bill & warranty.

BTW, you haven't mentioned wiring. Please buy a good quality Amp wiring kit and RCA kit. They do make a difference. JBL makes a good quality kit that is really VFM, but I read in another thread that they are a little hard to come by. Another really good option is Audison.

Enjoy your install! Once you have the HU & screen figured out, you're definitely good to go!

Last edited by hydrashok : 25th October 2006 at 07:13.
Old 25th October 2006, 10:28   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just wanted to know your opinion on the Alpine amps compared to the others available like Pionner 944 and JBL 75.4? What is the price of Alpine MRV F345? In some thread I read that the alpine amps available here are dupes. I really liked the bridged power - 300wrms
I'm not LBM. I'm Bob (a mad hatter who puts his nose into business that is not his) :-)

Neither of these 3 amps will give you 300W (Bridged) but given all considerations I'd take the JBL. WHy?

JBL 75.4 = 13K with B&W
Pio 944 = 13K without B&W
Alpine 345 = 18-19K with B&W

If the 6K difference between the JBL and Alpine is ok with you get the Alpine (or you can put the 6K into a nicer HU or speakers). I dont like getting stuff without B&W.

Last edited by navin : 25th October 2006 at 10:31.
Old 25th October 2006, 10:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi!! Newbie here! Joined about a month back, & researched about the Tata Safari Dicor.
LCD screen - 10.4" roof mounted NecVox or Chinese made (Chinese at throwaway prices, but worried that the screen will also be a throwaway in a few months... !!)THE RIGHT TRACK HERE? ANY OTHER OPTIONS? Help, please!!!!cheers:
Note: the Dicor has poor rear visibility. with the 10" screen this might be even more limited. Be careful backing up. My wife had a Dicor back into her some time back :-(
Old 25th October 2006, 15:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Note: the Dicor has poor rear visibility. with the 10" screen this might be even more limited. Be careful backing up. My wife had a Dicor back into her some time back :-(
maybe a camera at the back should fix that problem.

scorpindio...the mex r1 has an aux-in, albeit at the back. it is a far better option than the JVC. dont look back. go ahead. it is better than pioneer also. some very good features & good sound quality too.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th October 2006 at 15:26.
Old 25th October 2006, 21:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Neither of these 3 amps will give you 300W (Bridged) but given all considerations I'd take the JBL. WHy?

JBL 75.4 = 13K with B&W
Pio 944 = 13K without B&W
Alpine 345 = 18-19K with B&W
I've decided, based on popular opinion, to go with the JBL offering. Its going to be difficult hearing them driving my speakers before I purchase... so I'd rather go with what you ppl suggest.. Anyways, how do you ppl feel its going to sound driving my Infinity Kappas 5.25 & 10.1 subwoofer? I've read great reviews about the Alpine amps.. They are known for their amazing clarity and power. Frankly I have read next to nothing about the JBL 75.4. So I need to hear from you if you especially if you have heard it.. Ist person testimony is the best.

And BTW, MRV F345 indeed gives 300Wrms when bridged.

I feel that my thread is being hijacked...
Old 25th October 2006, 23:19   #23

Hijacked!!

Quote:

I feel that my thread is being hijacked...
Dear friend jCube, I presume that angry looking smiley is directed at me, as I chose to post my query on this thread!! Due apologies, but the thread is regarding ICE Audio/Video Discussions, so thought I would join in!! Just another crusty poor ole Newbie, please to pardon, saar!!

Many thanks for the replies with regard to the speaker set up, the HU and the LCD screen. Incidentally, planning to install an audio warning sensor for the reversing part, coz would certainly not like to back my Dicor into an unsuspecting wife, especially my own!

Many thanks, Hydrashok, for reaffirming my belief in the chosen JBL set up. Am also waiting for the great Sam Kapasi to comment, but I guess recuperation from the Mumbai Team BHP bash hangover will take its own time!!
Old 26th October 2006, 11:15   #24
Team-BHP Support

I have not heard the 75.4 and 345 in the same system. I have heard the 75.4 in a swift driving a bass tube and front speakers and I found it very powerful. The alpine I might add may sound sweeter and maybe a bit "refined" for want of a better word. The 75.4 however can rock hard. it also cost 66% of the cost of the 345.

BTW the 345 is an older model (not nessarily bad) and the JBL 75.4 II can put out 100W/4ch. and 275W/2ch so it is pretty close to 300W/2ch.

Last edited by navin : 26th October 2006 at 11:21.
Old 26th October 2006, 14:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:

And BTW, MRV F345 indeed gives 300Wrms when bridged.
Hey Navin, Just look at the specifications of Alpine 345.

SPECIFICATIONS

CEA-2006 Power Rating
  • • CEA-2006 Power Rating (4Ohm@14.4V = 1%THD+N), S/N 73dBA (Ref. 1W into 4Ohm): 75W x 4
RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-200Hz)
  • • Bridged 4 ohms : 200W x 1 (Ch-3/4)
  • • Per channel into 2 ohms : 100W x 2 (Ch-3/4)
  • • Per channel into 4 ohms : 50W x 4
RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-200Hz)
  • • Bridged 4 ohms : 75W x 1 (Ch-3/4), 300W x 1 (Ch-3/4)
  • • Per channel into 2 ohms : 150W x 2 (Ch-3/4)
Is this (given in bold) is a typo?. (info taken from http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...&lang=en&tab=F )
Old 26th October 2006, 14:51   #26
Team-BHP Support

No, the difference between 14.4V and 12V power. I think the specs should read as this....maybe I am wrong but the specs below seem more logical.

12V: 50W x 4 at 4 ohms
14.4V: 75W x 4 at 4 ohms

bridged
12V: 100W x 2 at 4ohms
14.4V: 150W x 2 at 4 ohms

bridged at 2 ohms
12V: 200W x 2
14.4V: 300W x 2

I dont undersand how they got "Bridged 4 ohms : 75W x 1 (Ch-3/4), 300W x 1 (Ch-3/4)" I can only assume that the 300W reading is peak power not RMS.
Old 26th October 2006, 20:59   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks, Hydrashok, for reaffirming my belief in the chosen JBL set up. Am also waiting for the great Sam Kapasi to comment, but I guess recuperation from the Mumbai Team BHP bash hangover will take its own time!!
lol@great

Hello newbie scorpindio,

Well, I didn't comment because hydrashok did and I like this things this man says. He's on his way to being anointed a guru pretty soon lol

You are on the right track. Just be careful with the install, make sure the gains are not set on full or almost full.
Old 26th October 2006, 21:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The alpine I might add may sound sweeter and maybe a bit "refined" for want of a better word. The 75.4 however can rock hard. it also cost 66% of the cost of the 345.

BTW the 345 is an older model (not nessarily bad) and the JBL 75.4 II can put out 100W/4ch. and 275W/2ch so it is pretty close to 300W/2ch.
Thanks for the info Navin. 6K more for the 345 doesnt make much sense to me atleast for now. I'd prefer the sweeter sounding amp.. but I'd rather stick to JBL and save some money... Does your comment suggest that the JBLs are going to be dull sounding with just a lot of power. How does 75.4 fare in the clarity front? And distortion at high volume? soundstage?

BTW, 75.4II isnt available in Asia, and the changes from the original version are just cosmetic as per Sameer bhai.
Old 26th October 2006, 21:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Well, I didn't comment because hydrashok did and I like this things this man says. He's on his way to being anointed a guru pretty soon lol
Gad! Me a Guru? From the general of expertise here, that will take this regular joe many, many moons.

And Sam, you just made getting through today (a bad, bad day at work) really worthwhile

I'll sum up with a quote from the Devil himself (Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate) - "Of all the vices, my favourite vice is... advice". Maybe I'll make it my signature.
Old 26th October 2006, 22:27   #30

Dear Sam, got that! Presume you say that coz the speakers are slightly under-rated at 55 RMS than the power the amp generates. By the way, I am a doctor working for the Indian Navy in Mumbai, and need all the help I can get on things technical as compared to things biological!! Neways, a million thanks, saar!! (Hope the defence background explains the "saar" bit!!)

And hydrashok, you are enough of a guru, albeit a self-doubting one!!

Most Viewed