Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2006, 22:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
In fact I had a wierder idea using just a bank of interchangable ipods (sort of like aplug and play ipod changer - iimagine the volume of music one could have with say a bank of 6 80GB ipods why using Wavpak one could carry one's entire music collection in a lossless format) and hidden behind a 2 DIN screen. Sadly it required too much work so i got me a ipod adapter for my HU instead.
Navin, does the iPod play wavpak? I thought the only lossless format the iPod supported was Apple Lossless.
Old 27th October 2006, 10:38   #32
Team-BHP Support

Ipods do not play wavpak but they can be programmed to. check hydrogenaudio.com for more info on lossless formats and their playability.
Old 27th October 2006, 11:08   #33
BHPian

Navin & Sam,
Do you think there will be appreciable loss in Audio quality between MP3 played by a HU and my Alpine with Ai-net setup connected to iPod?

Also, I think my Alpine has only one out so anyway I have to change the HU if I am thinking of adding 2 amps...:(

Cheers!
Ram
Old 27th October 2006, 12:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram
I think my Alpine has only one out so anyway I have to change the HU if I am thinking of adding 2 amps...:(
This can be fixed with a "Y" connector I think. Not exactly perfect, but it will do the job. You will be able to connect a 4-ch amp. But you will not be able to fade the output between the front and back from the HU's interface. That will have to be set through the amp gains.

Last edited by hydrashok : 27th October 2006 at 12:23.
Old 27th October 2006, 12:50   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you think there will be appreciable loss in Audio quality between MP3 played by a HU and my Alpine with Ai-net setup connected to iPod?
Not really. Your wired connection streaming MP3s from your ipod would be as good as MP3 being read from a CD in your HU (rememebr the MP3 format is the real compromise here).

Now dont get me wrong. I find using MP3s in the car very practical given that our attention is usualy diverted by what's happening in the car (conversation) and what's happening outside it (traffic). And yes one day when we all shift to lossless formats (this should happen about when 1.8" 200GB hard disks become the norm) there will be a noticeable difference but till then good MP3s/AACs/WMAs are a fine compromise for in car entertainment.
Old 27th October 2006, 14:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Ipods do not play wavpak but they can be programmed to. check hydrogenaudio.com for more info on lossless formats and their playability.
Navin, I think you meant hydrogenaudio.org. '.com' goes to a search-engine spammer's site. And thank you for a really good resource. I hadn't come across this website before at all. Looks like today's work is going to suffer... :-)
Old 27th October 2006, 14:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

yes ".org" .
Old 27th October 2006, 16:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
This can be fixed with a "Y" connector I think. Not exactly perfect, but it will do the job. You will be able to connect a 4-ch amp. But you will not be able to fade the output between the front and back from the HU's interface. That will have to be set through the amp gains.
Hydra:
Can you elaborate on this Y connector? Any links?

CHeers!
Ram
Old 27th October 2006, 16:14   #39
BHPian

Okay folks, got the Pioneer 7200M Amp and 306C Sub. I am building the Enclosure for the same. After detailed research, following are the conclusions.

1. The Sub has QTS of 0.42 so I am thinking of Ported enclosure box. The manual states 46 litre box 3 dia and 6 inch long Vent. My installer says after lot of experiementing they found approx 49 litre box is good for the base, the enclosure is in MDF. I feel a ported one is going to be too big for a Santro but also thinking of future I think its fine.

1. What do you think of the ported setup?
2. The manual says sound-absorbing material...is it one more layer inside the MDF enclosure? What material should be used? I am aksing this bcos the box the installer showed had kind of carpet material outside, but the inside was plan MDF board...
Old 27th October 2006, 16:41   #40
BHPian

Folks,
I am not able to find teh Ai-net cable anmywhere in Chennai :(...any help from any other parts of India....plsssssss

Cheers!
Old 27th October 2006, 16:42   #41
BHPian

[quote=madbullram]

1. The Sub has QTS of 0.42 so I am thinking of Ported enclosure box. The manual states 46 litre box 3 dia and 6 inch long Vent. My installer says after lot of experiementing they found approx 49 litre box is good for the base, the enclosure is in MDF. I feel a ported one is going to be too big for a Santro but also thinking of future I think its fine.

[quote]

Manual says Max for Box is 58 litres and Min is 35.4 litres.
Old 27th October 2006, 20:43   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

madbullram,

Since you are a newbie, let me nudge you gently. You have an option to edit your post, within the next 20 minutes of your posting it. There is no need to make multiple posts one after the other with a gap of a few minutes.

Thanks man.
Old 27th October 2006, 20:48   #43
BANNED

I'm a bit biased towards a sealed box. That'll be small, will go very low and the bass will be more clean.

Ported will give out more bass and if that's what you want, go ahead happily.

Absorbing material is very much important. Use fiber wool etc. Make sure it sticks well to the inside walls, so that it doesn't ooze out from the port.

Use a professional port rather than normal PVC pipe pieces.
Old 27th October 2006, 21:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hydra:
Can you elaborate on this Y connector? Any links?

CHeers!
Ram
You'll get a 'Y' adapter from any self-respecting electronics store for Rs.20-25. Here's a picture of one:

You'll get them with very short wire length, if you hunt around a bit. There are even versions without wires - a male RCA jack in front and two female RCA sockets in the back. Try and get good quality ones. I think if you can find one in short length by MX, you're set.

Last edited by hydrashok : 27th October 2006 at 21:14.
Old 28th October 2006, 10:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
madbullram,

Since you are a newbie, let me nudge you gently. You have an option to edit your post, within the next 20 minutes of your posting it. There is no need to make multiple posts one after the other with a gap of a few minutes.

Thanks man.
Sam - Actually the second and third post was the ones I did within a min the reason being I tried editing the post by clicking the Edit button, but it directed me to an invalid link, thats why I had to make multiple post...sorry

Speedzak: Thanks for the inputs mate. The only problem is I cant try out sealed and ported before I decide...I heard the ported one in my friends car and it was tight plus I am not the kind who blast neighbhours window I like to enjoy my music at a sane level The port my installer showed was made of plastic in white colour...is there any particular material spec for the ports

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks