Team-BHP - Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/185527-step-step-instructions-updating-hyundai-cretas-head-unit-software.html)

Quote:

although the Map Data version of all 3 HUs of our respective cars remains the same.
Updated my Nanook map software after downloading from the site india.map-care.com.

It is a 4 GB download and you need to get the activation key from the site. The download comes with a pdf manual, which guides you step by step. The procedure is simple:-
Snapshot of my map version now on Nanook

Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-20170322_160749.jpg

Points to remember :-
Have not got time to see if there are any new features or it is a pure map update only.

PS. On a second thought, i am attaching the Navigation Update User Guide in pdf which is automatically downloaded from site for information of all.
2016_Navigation_Update_User_Guide_Ver4(Eng).pdf

Head Unit Software Update:

First off, a big thank you to Colonel N.K. Ghai for his excellent point-to-point post for updating the Creta's HU. (link)

I downloaded the official software last night from india.map-care.com (you need your personal details, VIN number and device ID from the HU's Settings section for this). An Activation Code is automatically generated after the details are registered, and you need to save this for later.

The downloaded zip file is around 3.02GB which, when unzipped, takes about 4.53GB of hard disk space in your computer/laptop.

Copy the contents of the unzipped folder into an USB drive which is formatted in either NTFS or exFAT format, because it prompts you that the map data is too large to be copied into a normal FAT32 USB drive (however big the FAT32 drive be).

Then go back to the unzipped folder in your computer/laptop, and run the SerialNumber_ENG application file (to be found in the AUTH_TOOL folder in the unzipped parent folder). It will prompt you to select your USB drive, then enter the device ID of your Creta's Head Unit, and the Activation Code generated by Hyundai's India Map Care page (from where you downloaded the original zip file).

Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-untitled.jpg

Once those 2 are entered, the application file will save a ".hmnsdat" file in your USB drive. Now, you are ready.

Get the USB drive and walk into your Creta, shut down the HU if it's already on (the "Hyundai" logo will appear on the screen), then insert the USB drive into the USB port of the car.

Immediately, the screen will show that the HU is being rebooted, and then the update process starts. Sit back and relax, because the whole update process takes around 22-23 minutes, out of which about 15-16 minutes are for the Maps Update process alone.

The Software Upgrade process starts.
Each set of files are verified before the respective update.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8131.jpg

SYSTEM files are patched to the latest.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8130.jpg

CARPLAY files are patched next.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8133.jpg

Driver files are then patched to the latest ones.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8135.jpg

Next comes the OS Upgrade process.
The BootLoader file is updated.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8137.jpg

Then comes the OS upgrade.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8140.jpg

OS files are updated.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8141.jpg

Old SYSTEM files are deleted.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8142.jpg

Then comes the most time-consuming part of the affair - the NAVI upgrade.
Be patient - the Map files patching takes ~15 minutes.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8143.jpg

That's the version number of this entire update.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8144.jpg

When the NAVI upgrade is done, the "COMPLETE UPGRADE" screen shows up.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8145.jpg

The system reboots. Back to the default "Agree" menu. (Oh no! Not AGAIN! :Frustrati)
Going forward...
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8147.jpg

New App version and Map Data version.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_8151.jpg

For the record, this was the 2015 OEM version of the HU's software.
Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-img_5841.jpg

In addition, there are several other superfast updates/upgrades which happen within the blink of an eye. They were done even before I could grab a shot of them.

And now for testing this upgraded software. Planning on a small trip through the weekend.

Ciao, until the next update from me and Lazarus!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4169096)

CARPLAY files are patched next.
Attachment 1622278

What are these files for?

Just a note of caution: As per the manual, there are 3 free updates that you can do within the warranty period. So choose wisely (maybe just before an outstation trip)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver (Post 4169174)
What are these files for?

I think it's some backend support for a possible Apple CarPlay software functionality, to be offered in a future update.

The Creta's HU doesn't support Apple CarPlay yet (even with this updated software), although I am hearing that the 2017 Creta will come with an updated Head Unit which will support both Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

But still, let me browse around in the coming weekend. Shall report back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUXX (Post 4169225)
Just a note of caution: As per the manual, there are 3 free updates that you can do within the warranty period. So choose wisely (maybe just before an outstation trip)

True.

Once updated, it should show up on the Hyundai Care app too as "1 free update availed, 2 remaining."

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4169253)
But still, let me browse around in the coming weekend. Shall report back.

The easiest way to check is by connecting an iphone to the AVN via the standard usb port and cable. If carplay works it should just come up on the screen.

Nkghai & RavenAvi: Thanks for sharing! Have moved your useful posts to a new thread. It'll help the many Creta owners onboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j76 (Post 4169396)
The easiest way to check is by connecting an iphone to the AVN via the standard usb port and cable. If carplay works it should just come up on the screen.

I know.

Unfortunately, neither Apple CarPlay nor Android Auto is supported by this update yet. Looks like the update is limited to the NAVI Maps only.

Connected my 7 Plus to the HU and the OS read it as an iPod, and played the songs from the phone. Only.

Same thing happened when I plugged in my OnePlus 3. Phone connected in charging mode only, while the HU remained silent.

Hopefully the next update version will have more connectivity options, like the one which is now offered in the 2017 Hyundai Creta's upgraded HU.

Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software-image00001.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4169253)
True.

Once updated, it should show up on the Hyundai Care app too as "1 free update availed, 2 remaining."

Thanks for the detailed step by step procedure. Shall be trying it on my Creta soon.
Quick question, lets say a few years down the line after the warranty period expires and you've availed the 3 free updates. Post that do we have to pay a certain amount to have the software updated? If so, whats the approximate amount?

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgyan (Post 4173046)
Thanks for the detailed step by step procedure. Shall be trying it on my Creta soon.
Quick question, lets say a few years down the line after the warranty period expires and you've availed the 3 free updates. Post that do we have to pay a certain amount to have the software updated? If so, whats the approximate amount?

I had the same doubt, so went to Mapmyindia site and had checked about software updates.
A single update plan is priced at Rs 500/-.
Here is the link http://www.mapmyindia.com/store/map-updates
In our case also it would be something similar.

Dear Mr Ghai/Gents,
Many thanks for a detailed write up. I have just bought a Tucson CrDi AT and finished my first service. The Maps were updated by the Auth Service Station. However I noticed that the maps does not capture names of buildings.
For example today I wanted to go to Chemtex House at Hiranandani gardens at Mumbai but I could not find it on the Maps. I had to finally settle for Main street Hiranandani Gardens. Very frustrating. Am I using it wrong ?? or is this a Map issue ??
Can you help advise.
Kind regards,
Seacat

Once again, is the procedure for updating maps same for the New Tucson ?? If not then can anyone post it here ??
Kind regards,
Seacat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seacat (Post 4186692)
Dear Mr Ghai/Gents,

For example today I wanted to go to Chemtex House at Hiranandani gardens at Mumbai but I could not find it on the Maps. I had to finally settle for Main street Hiranandani Gardens. Very frustrating. Am I using it wrong ?? or is this a Map issue ??
Can you help advise.
Kind regards,
Seacat

Once again, is the procedure for updating maps same for the New Tucson ?? If not then can anyone post it here ??
Kind regards,
Seacat

Sorry Seacat !! Just saw your query. If you can quote my post then i get a notification and can respond immediately.

Firstly it is a map issue. The maps provided are not as detailed as our google maps and since landing in Mumbai three months back i have not touch my Creta AVN Map and always traveled with google map, which has not let me down.

Secondly the procedure for Tuscon may differ a bit . To be on safe side have downloaded the new manual which gives Elantra and Tuscon procedure separately from page 35.
manual_new.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkghai (Post 4233424)
Sorry Seacat !! Just saw your query. If you can quote my post then i get a notification and can respond immediately.

Firstly it is a map issue. The maps provided are not as detailed as our google maps and since landing in Mumbai three months back i have not touch my Creta AVN Map and always traveled with google map, which has not let me down.

Secondly the procedure for Tuscon may differ a bit . To be on safe side have downloaded the new manual which gives Elantra and Tuscon procedure separately from page 35.

Thanks Mr Ghai. Most appreciated. Manual downloaded. Will check and update.:thumbs up
Regards,
Seacat

The new maps for Creta are available on the website. Has anybody tried to update ?

Is it possible somehow to see (or upload) Google Maps on the Creta Navigation system.

The inbuilt (makemytrip?) maps are not very good, and I end up using my phone most of the time for navigation.