Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 01:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My iPods (I keep one in each car) are permanently connected to the USB via a cable and sit in the glove compartment. This way I always have music and I don't have to worry about the limitations of the phone (battery, memory etc.). My music collection (over 800 CDs worth) would never fit on a phone anyway even if compressed into 256k VBR MP3.
My suggestion may not be the most convenient at first, but I urge you to give it a try. Prices of SD cards have dropped sharply and you could get a 128 gb card for around 3000 Rs only. Store your audio in them in FLAC format, which I am sure should be more than enough. Most of the highend android phones support high quality music playback over both, AUX and Bluetooth 5.0 and can take an SD Card.

Head Units with Android Auto and Apple Carplay are fact capturing the game because of the convenience they bring. By doing the above step, you can ensure you have not only enhanced phone and music capabilities, along with more advanced stuff life voice assist, navigation etc.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th September 2017 at 05:40.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 05:45   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I knew it supports FLAC, WAV, MP3, AAC, and WMA so I asked about ALAC. AAC and ALAC are quite different. AAC is "Advanced Audio Coding" which is a lossy compression codec, ALAC is a lossless compression codec much like FLAC, WavPack (not to be confused with WAV), Monkey's Audio etc.

The aural difference between the lossless audio files and lossy audio files (even at high bit rates) is significant.
There are two ways to do this
1. Play via ipod USB connection. This way its actually playing through your IPOD
2. Play native

For option 2, as in native play of ALAC, you need an android unit and a software like PowerAMP, Winamp, Poweramp, NRG....
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 11:33   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Prices of SD cards have dropped sharply and you could get a 128 gb card for around 3000 Rs only. Store your audio in them in FLAC format, which I am sure should be more than enough.
No sir. Even in 256k MP3 I need more than 128GB for my music. In FLAC it would be around 800GB (I say "around" because I did not use FLAC but used WavPack to encode my lossless - this is a rather long story from about 12 years ago). WavPack has a slightly different file size than FLAC. Monkey's Audio is the smallest (or at least was when I was actively comparing these encoders), FLAC's file size was the largest. WavPack is now dead and except for a few old men like me no one is still using it.

I know 800Gb might look like a lot to the "MP3 generation" but remember I built my first amplifier in 1976. I have actually seen a cylinder player (pre dates 78, 45 and 33 1/3 rpm record players) and a lot of other vintage equipment. So over the decades I have collected a lot of music - many titles I have bought 2 or 3 times (first as an LP, later as a pre-recorded cassette and last as a CD). 800GB is small compared to my Brother in law or some of my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
In fact, you can even plug in a HDD (hard drive) itself, instead of an iPod.

For now, the only way to get Google Maps on dash is by using an Android phone. Remember, this unit supports both Android Auto and CarPlay.
Wow! I could kiss you for that piece of information. Apple does not make iPod (Classic 160GB) anymore. I was wondering what I would do if my iPods die. Now I can simply use small 2.5" USB hard disks. I was going to buy FiiO players but if a simple hard disk will suffice then it's much cheaper.

I already have 2 iPhones (the one work gave me and my personal one). I don't want to carry a 3rd phone just for Android. Besides I find that Android phones change too often. Some support the latest OS some don't and there is a lot of variations in them. It's too confusing for me so I avoided the whole platform.

I guess Apple and Google will never talk to each other so we are forever doomed to having to have this lack of "inter-operatability".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are two ways to do this
1. Play via ipod USB connection. This way its actually playing through your IPOD
2. Play native

For option 2, as in native play of ALAC, you need an android unit and a software like PowerAMP, Winamp, Poweramp, NRG....
For option 2 can we do this:
  1. Use the HU (many HUs run on Android) as the master
  2. Add a hard disk to the HU via USB
  3. Dump the files in FLAC on the hard disk and let the HU read these files.

This way we avoid iPods, ALAC and the whole Apple platform for the playback of music. The phone can be an Apple as it is used over BT for making/taking calls. If I was to move away from iTunes I would recommend Foobar. It's interface can be "reduced" and made quite clear.

Last edited by navin : 27th September 2017 at 11:45.
navin is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 14:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That was a crisp and a detailed review. Did you also consider going for an Android based head unit? If yes then could you list out where each wins/loses? And does the steering controls really need an additional interface to work? I reckon that most HU these days come with an inbuilt interface which can be programmed and the keys can be assigned to perform various actions.
Thanks /u/audioholic.

First, yes, steering controls need an additional interface, especially if your car is 3 or more years old. Some limited out-of-the-box support is there for some controls - but only for some Japanese cars. Korean and US cars are out of luck. Sounds weird, but its true. You will be better off with a harness.

Coming to Android Head units, the comparison table is below.

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-dash_unit_comp.png

CarPlay and Android Auto interface is a product of thought leadership of best brains from tech behemoths such as Apple and Google. But having a full android HU has its own benefits such as familiarity with the OS and full app compatibility - provided if you can live with the limitations as above. YouTube has some reviews on Joying units, for your viewing pleasure.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 18:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
…but remember I built my first amplifier in 1976.
Sir, my salute to you. A true technophile with a burning passion in your area of interest. This is absolutely phenomenal.

Quote:
Wow! I could kiss you for that piece of information. Apple does not make iPod (Classic 160GB) anymore. I was wondering what I would do if my iPods die. Now I can simply use small 2.5" USB hard disks. I was going to buy FiiO players but if a simple hard disk will suffice then it's much cheaper.
LOL. You made my day. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. I tried connecting my 500GB HDD, and all the mp3’s played very well. My next step is to create a couple of FLAC files and try playing them using my HDD. I will confirm my results soon. Just to make sure I have not given you any wrong info, you MUST need an Apple device to play Apple Lossless. My HDD suggestion holds good only for FLAC files.

Quote:
I already have 2 iPhones (the one work gave me and my personal one). I don't want to carry a 3rd phone just for Android. Besides I find that Android phones change too often. Some support the latest OS some don't and there is a lot of variations in them. It's too confusing for me so I avoided the whole platform.
You should just stick with your current setup. I am loathe to carrying two phones itself…forget about three.

Quote:
I guess Apple and Google will never talk to each other so we are forever doomed to having to have this lack of "inter-operatability".
We will see more of this in coming days. Act II: Amazon Vs Google.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/26/1...azon-echo-show
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 21:06   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont want to hijack this thread but I just treated my Toyota Corolla Altis to an 'upgraded' head unit - the Pioneer navigation unit AVICF80BT. And I finally found a HU that has the capability to play FLAC files.

My setup has Focal components - front component speakers, a Focal 10" SW, 4 channel & SW amp, 6x9 speakers on the rear deck. This is probably the closest I'll get to audio nirvana in my car. Audio install details from 2013 are here: Altis Re-ICEd

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th September 2017 at 21:08.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 09:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Dont want to hijack this thread but I just treated my Toyota Corolla Altis to an 'upgraded' head unit - the Pioneer navigation unit AVICF80BT. And I finally found a HU that has the capability to play FLAC files.
I went through your thread and sat motionless for a while wondering how did you have the patience to change THREE head units until you got what you wanted. Hats off to you. I hope the new setup is serving you well. Your unit as high end as it gets currently.

I asked my car installer guy about the amplifier and new speakers, and he said: "Saar, you will get headaches..." and other tidbits. I stopped there.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went through your thread and sat motionless for a while wondering how did you have the patience to change THREE head units until you got what you wanted. Hats off to you. I hope the new setup is serving you well. Your unit as high end as it gets currently.
Well, my car is old now so it is 3 HUs over a period of 9 years. As a budget audiophile at home (and in the car) I did want to get some semblance of good audio reproduction in my car and get features that would help me integrate different audio/video sources + good integration with my mobile handsets. I never use the mobile whilst driving without a BT hands free or via the HU depending on if I am alone in the car whilst making or answering calls.

Biggest drawback with this HU? It doesn't have a removable panel. So I need to be careful whilst parking the car. Yeah, the entire setup is insured.

Quote:
I asked my car installer guy about the amplifier and new speakers, and he said: "Saar, you will get headaches..." and other tidbits. I stopped there.
Frankly it's a mistake to think one adds amplifiers only to seek much higher output power.

Of course that IS a primary function of an amp, but I listen to music at low to moderate volumes and most of my music is spread across genres that don't lend themselves to listening loud (jazz, pop, soft or melodic rock, instrumental). Loud music whilst driving is a strict no-no for me as it is a distraction plus a safety hazard.

Also, I listen to music flat without equalizer or bass/treble control effects either at home or in the car which makes it even more important (to me) to have a method to deliver better bass response and clarity at low/moderate volumes. And having finally found a HU that plays FLACs plus helps me navigate it adds up to a solution that is basically the highest level I'd want to achieve as far as ICE is concerned.

My only advise to you is to audition amplifiers, especially SW amps and see the difference it makes to your music. Bass is important for almost any genre. You will find 'body and presence' in excess of what most HU built in amps can deliver.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 15:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

autorahul, bsdbsd and others,

To keep this thread ON TOPIC, I have moved all posts regarding lossless, mp3 and the playing of large music collections in a car to the thread (as you can see this discussion has come up several times on TBHP) linked below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...s-formats.html
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 15:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The purpose of this write up is to review the localized aspects, where as the YouTube video below is about the generic aspects of this unit. Got the Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT installed a couple of weeks back in my 4 yr old Honda City. There are no online reviews for the India unit in Youtube as this a new launch.
Nice choice there. I too had zeroed in on the same headunit for my 2015 FIAT Linea TJet until the hard reality struck - Linea has a Single DIN slot. Hence ended up getting the Pioneer AVH-Z7050BT. Same features in single DIN form.

Link: https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/avh-z7050bt/
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 17:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Linea has a Single DIN slot. Hence ended up getting the Pioneer AVH-Z7050BT. Same features in single DIN form.
That's a good HU. How's it performing?
Old 28th September 2017, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
That's a good HU. How's it performing?
Haven't spent much time with it even though it's been close to 2 weeks since the installation. Battery change and me being down with fever is to be blamed. Specific to my head-unit, I find it really useful that Pioneer has provided me the option to enable/disable the pop-up screen coming up during each ignition and folding up when stopped. Also, the screen tilt can be adjusted which further enhances the experience.

Previously had a Chinese head-unit, liked it when it worked fine but then after about 10-11 months it started acting up and hence decided to go with a branded one and assure myself some peace of mind with respect to the warranty.

Pioneer did provide me the code for Navi Maps and the Car Connectivity thing. I was able to activate the same without any fuss on my iPhone6. What issue did you face during activation?

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 28th September 2017 at 17:20.
Old 28th September 2017, 17:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Previously had a Chinese head-unit, liked it when it worked fine but then after about 10-11 months it started acting up and hence decided to go with a branded one and assure myself some peace of mind with respect to the warranty.

Pioneer did provide me the code for Navi Maps and the Car Connectivity thing. I was able to activate the same without any fuss on my Apple 6. What issue did you face during activation?
Pioneer HUs generally work without issues for years on end. As you may have seen on my ICE upgrade thread my old Pioneer HU was over 4 years old and still going strong when I upgraded to the navigation unit yesterday. And I've always had Pioneer amps/AV receivers and CD players at home and in my car except for the time I tried those 2 JVC car units.

The HU comes preloaded with the maps but I still trying to figure out how to update/upgrade the maps when necessary. I assume the map provider is Mapmyindia. We you able to find how to do this? The instructions arent very clear. I called the Pioneer toll free # today but got no response.

@bsdbsd - my apologies for having brought in my new HU's discussion into your thread. I'll try and keep it to a minimum and move any detailed posts to my ICE upgrade thread the link to which I had shared earlier.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th September 2017 at 17:29.
Old 28th September 2017, 17:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The HU comes preloaded with the maps but I still trying to figure out how to update/upgrade the maps when necessary. I assume the map provider is Mapmyindia. We you able to find how to do this? The instructions arent very clear. I called the Pioneer toll free # today but got no response.
The unit at your end is a Navigation one and the Z series at my end and at @bsdbsd support only offline maps via carplay/android play. However, do check the link below wherein pioneer provides manuals and firmware updates (if any). You would find how-to as ell to accomplish the firmware updates. Probably, that's how you should be going about with any map updates.

LINK: https://pioneer-india.in/download-ce...ct/avic-f80bt/
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 17:41   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Pioneer HUs generally work without issues for years on end. As you may have seen on my ICE upgrade thread my old Pioneer HU was over 4 years old and still going strong when I upgraded to the navigation unit yesterday. And I've always had Pioneer amps/AV receivers and CD players at home and in my car except for the time I tried those 2 JVC car units.

@bsdbsd - my apologies for having brought in my new HU's discussion into your thread. I'll try and keep it to a minimum and move any detailed posts to my ICE upgrade thread the link to which I had shared earlier.
Found this pop up, i think this may be of help
Attached Thumbnails
Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-screenshot_20170928173824.png  

agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks