Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2017, 05:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Got the Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT installed a couple of weeks back in my 4 yr old Honda City.... .
First, Congrats on an excellent choice, bsdbsd.

Could you kindly share an image of the unit mounted on your dash?

I installed the same unit in my Honda Jazz. The problem is that there is an ugly gap between the unit & the facia adapter. The unit also projects about 1 cm from the fascia. Wife has absolutely rejected the unit, and I agree with her.

It looks definitely after market and low rent at that.

See:
Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-img_20171112_052609626.jpg

Just wanted to see how you have solved the problem or if my installer has screwed up some where.

Last edited by sridhu : 12th November 2017 at 05:32.
Old 12th November 2017, 07:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Mods, please merge the two posts, if possible.

My set-up: I have a Honda Jazz, 2017. I have this HU with Morel Tempo speakers, 2 2-channel amps (1 legacy: Mutant, 1 new: Polk) and a 10" Polk sub woofer in a custom box. I had the amps installed under the rear seat.

My Requirements
I am a dilettante in audio and reasonably tech savy. I listen to podcasts, slightly eclectic music (classic rock, tamil film, western classical, jazz) and do a lot of calling when I drive. So, audio quality, BT quality and hands-free-ness are the most important considerations.

I have my old music on iPod. My FLAC music is on my phone. My podcasts are also on my phone. So, seamless switchability is very important for me.

Ideally, I would like to be able to listen to my songs from the iPod, do my calling on BT and have maps appear on the HU (In Bangalore, you need to know traffic information second-by-second!)
My initial impressions of this unit, as compared to my requirements, are:
  • The BT quality is good.
  • The audio quality is good for my purposes. The amp has to be tuned a bit more - I find it slightly light on bass.
  • Switchability: I find it weak & non intuitive. Please let me know if I am missing something
  • Android Auto is spotty. Does not really let me "Keep my eyes on the road and my hands up on the wheel."

Most of the failure is because Android auto uses up the only available USB port. I cannot connect the iPod on the AUX because there is no convenient power source available for the iPod. The issue I have with this unit (to be honest, I dont think there is a real solution) is that there is only one USB.

I tried connecting a USB hub (both USB 3 & USB 2) - it gives me a strange error: "Hub error". This seems to indicate that hubs are supported but not the versions I tried. Any information on that? Even in my Crysta (no paragon of features), I can connect a USB hub on which I have a thumb drive & an iPod and can choose the source. Would have loved that feature in the Jazz too.

How does the HDD connection work? I have a good 256GB SSD unit that I can dedicate to my car audio. I suspect that the single USB issue would stymie that approach also

Android Auto Impressions:
The hands free quality is a bit off at this point. The connection to android auto is very different from what I had imagined. Let me explain:
  • The integration of maps is brilliant. All features available on the phone are available on the screen. It is quite intuitive and uses the screen real estate very well
  • Phone is OK. I am not able to see my favourites as a separate list. It maps my google contact categories back (good) but not my most called or favourites (bad). Why? G-O-K (Google Only Knows!)
  • Music: I use PowerAmp normally for my music. Since only google play is available, I cannot use PowerAmp. Google Play music is not very smooth in usage at this point. The only 'organization' is playlists. I can browse while driving by artists or genres. I find the play implementation on android auto non-intuitive. It could be that I am stupid too.

Other impressions (I might have to RTFM, I admit):
  • No quick way to mute. Easiest way I found, hit the volume & then hit the mute icon. There is no one step process
  • The phone buttons on the steering are not working. Harness issue?
  • The manual talks about a 'learning' steering wheel control. What does it learn? I had initial issues forwarding a song - it would replay the same song. It also seemed to be cycling between 4-5 songs.
  • In the Android Auto mode, source selection is painful enough to be distracting.
  • "OK Google" interface works works very well.
  • There seems to be some loose connection - the unit skips even bluetooth songs when some potholes are hit at speed. Do others have this issue?
  • As mentioned above, the facia & the head unit do not give a seamless, factory fit finish. Leave a gap & a lot to be desired.
  • A soft issue: I find the HU not very intuitive to use but that could be my issue.

A final question. Even though the phone is dark in the Anrdoid Auto mode, I think a good cradle is required. Ideally, I would like a Brodit kind of set up where you drop the phone into a good stable setup. Any recommendations? Brodit itself is awfully expensive and blocks a vent. I would prefer dash mount. At this point, one needs to find the usb cable and connect it to the phone. I leave it in the console but the pin could weaken over time.

Last edited by sridhu : 12th November 2017 at 07:21.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 18:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Once you connect your phone to HU, and trigger Navimaps, you will see it on HU. As simple as that. When AppRadio apps are playing on HU, both Android Auto and CarPlay are disabled. You can make and receive calls using Bluetooth. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your detailed explanation. I got this head unit installed on my Baleno last week.

Android Auto works like a charm.

I have downloaded AppRadio and Navi Maps on my phone. Can you please let me know as to how offline maps on Navimaps can be used?
Old 13th November 2017, 11:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
I have downloaded AppRadio and Navi Maps on my phone. Can you please let me know as to how offline maps on Navimaps can be used?
Congratulations. Its a great purchase.

Answering your question, follow these steps:

1. Prerequisites (I see that you have done the 'a)' and the 'b)' from below):

a) Install Pioneer Appradio on your phone.
b) Install Navimaps app, and download the maps.
c) Buy Voice guidance (700rs?),car connectivity key using in-app purchase (1,400 INR). Its a 2 min process. Once done, your screen should look like this:

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-navimaps_cc_key.png

2. In your car, before connecting to HU:
a) Unlock your phone.
b) Open Pioneer Appradio app and keep it open in the background.
c) Open Navimaps and program your destination.

3. Connect your phone to HU.

4. Navimaps should now be visible on your HU. Dont lock the phone screen here afterwards.

5. In iPhone, at this point of time, bluetooth drops. Please check in your Android if the phone is still connected to HU using BT. Else, reconnect and reopen Navimaps - only if needed.

Nothing big, really. Hope this helps.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 11:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. Its a great purchase.

Answering your question, follow these steps:

1. Prerequisites (I see that you have done the 'a)' and the 'b)' from below):

a) Install Pioneer Appradio on your phone.
b) Install Navimaps app, and download the maps.
c) Buy Voice guidance (700rs?),car connectivity key using in-app purchase (1,400 INR). Its a 2 min process. Once done, your screen should look like this: ...
I tried this yesterday. I installed NaviMaps but it kept closing. The MapMyIndia site says something about not supporting Android version higher than 6(?). I have a Moto G5s plus on 7.1.1 Android.

ANybody else face the same issue?
Old 13th November 2017, 11:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
First, Congrats on an excellent choice, bsdbsd.

I installed the same unit in my Honda Jazz. The problem is that there is an ugly gap between the unit & the fascia adapter.
I need sometime to fully answer your questions from both the threads. Having said that, all the images I have posted in my review are directly taken from inside the car. If you need more let me know.

The finishing is nothing to be proud of. My installer lost interest in providing a good finish, as soon as I wrote the cheque. The Honda City has a curve fascia and this is a unit with straight lines. How they fit is anyone's imagination!

Key difference is you showed it to your wife and I didn't . lol. As in this case functionality trumps over visuals, I have let this one slide.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I tried this yesterday. I installed NaviMaps but it kept closing. The MapMyIndia site says something about not supporting Android version higher than 6(?). I have a Moto G5s plus on 7.1.1 Android.

ANybody else face the same issue?
Surprising. The Google Play Store lists Android 4.0.3 and up are supported. Is yours Nougat or Oreo? I will check with my colleagues latest Samsung Galaxy S8 today and I will let you know.

Write an email to MapMyIndia. Usually, they are quick to respond. And, let us all know how it goes.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 11:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:

2. In your car, before connecting to HU:
a) Unlock your phone.
b) Open Pioneer Appradio app and keep it open in the background.
c) Open Navimaps and program your destination.

Thanks a ton sir! I shall try this today and post my feedback.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamjn View Post
I own a 2017 Honda city, and almost finalized on buying Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT to replace the Digipad.
But I am ios user and since ios 11 has broken Appradio features I am reconsidering my decision with going ahead with the pioneer hu.
The next best option is theSony XAV-AX100.
Any suggestions as to should I wait for Pioneer to update their software or go ahead with the sony or probably look for other headunits with apple carplay.
Sorry, missed your question somehow. Yes, iOS 11 has broken AppRadio. But this time the defect lies with Pioneer. Until they fix the issue, you have no choice but to wait.

Sony unit is not capable of displaying offline India map and does not add any value added features. It may be too late, but I suggest you wait for Pioneer to fix the issues from their end.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Some images below. As I said earlier, its nothing to be proud of. We will never get the factory finish. I guess I have some room to play around with my current setup, but not getting the time. Check out for yourself.

Literally a square box in a round hole.

I am not sure why the images are rotated. Came out ok on my PC. Save it on your local if needed.

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-img_6003.jpg

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-img_6005.jpg

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-img_6006.jpg

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-img_6007.jpg

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-img_6009.jpg

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-img_6010.jpg
Old 15th November 2017, 12:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton sir! I shall try this today and post my feedback.
Quoting my post to give feedback on Offline NaviMaps

Yes, I followed the procedure mentioned my bsdbsd and it works

But, after having driven with AppRadio & NaviMaps for some 8 kms or so, the Headunit's screen froze

The maps on the phone were functioning though! I was able to toggle between Android Auto and App Radio for some time and after 5-10 minutes, the headunit didn't recognize my phone.

I'm not sure as to where the problem is? I'm thinking of fiddling with the settings during the weekend.

To answer Sridhu's concerns on USB Hub

I don't think the headunit supports USB Hub. Please check the user manual (page 25).

It says "Connection via a USB Hub is not possible"

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 15th November 2017 at 12:22. Reason: Adding Details to Sridhu's post
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 11:31   #57
BHPian

Quote:
But, after having driven with AppRadio & NaviMaps for some 8 kms or so, the Headunit's screen froze
I think I know what this issue is. Can you repeat this 8km trip again from the same starting point? If it freezes again, I think its due to a flyover. Navimaps displays a kind of 3D display of the flyover which the HU is not able to handle and it freezes. If you can jog your memory a bit and correlate what I have mentioned, it should give a "resolution" to this problem. I usually reconnect the phone after this kind of a freeze. Let me know.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I think I know what this issue is. Can you repeat this 8km trip again from the same starting point? If it freezes again, I think its due to a flyover. Let me know.
Awesome!

Yes, the issue occurred after Kathipara flyover
Old 16th November 2017, 17:20   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome!

Yes, the issue occurred after Kathipara flyover
There you go! Pioneer or MapMyIndia should pay us for all the QA work we are doing for them. This is a 'A' level defect.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:14   #60
BHPian

Hi bsdbsd - Couple of questions.

a) Has Pioneer released any software update for this head unit?
b) Is wireless Android Auto available?

Most Viewed