Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2006, 22:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Optra System Help

I have the stock Optra LT Blaupunkt music system which comes with a five CD changer and a head unit which has a cassette player and a steering remote. I bought a Blaupunkt Bahamas MP3 head unit. Now my steering remote is not working. Why is it so and what is the solution?? Audo gurus please throw in some solutions.
Old 26th November 2006, 08:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

You must be using the RC10 remote, right? I'm not sure, but I think they are not compatible with all Blau Models. Your Blau dealer will be able to sort you out.
This is a webpage that lists compatibility: Blaupunkt remote controls

I couldn't find the Bahamas here, but that doesn't mean that it is not compatible. Blau changes models and names between countries at times. Best to check with your Blau showroom.

If the RC is compatible, it could be that the installer forgot to connect the IR receiver (what they call the 'remote sensing eye') when he changed the HUs.

Or he might have connected the IR receiver, but placed it someplace where the RC does not have line-of-sight. This is not very likely, as he would not have needed to shift the IR receiver's position while changing HUs.

Or, the battery in the RC would have died. (There are 2 small button batteries in there).
Old 26th November 2006, 10:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Or, the battery in the RC would have died. (There are 2 small button batteries in there).
This remote gets power from car battery. So nothing wrong with the remote.
Old 26th November 2006, 15:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think i didnot explain it properly.

The Stock System of a Optra is a Casette player with a 5CD changer and a remote on the steering fitted by the company which looks like this.

When the company fitted HU was removed and the Bahamas was connected the Steering remote stopped working.

Again the OE HU was put and the Steering remote started working. So no problems with battery.

The Blaupunkt guy told me that the remote is made only for the stock sytem and is not compatible with any other HU. So he is telling me to put a Blaupunkt Steering remote which looks ugly as well as out of place.

Why is not the steering remote working with this HU?
Old 26th November 2006, 17:00   #5
BANNED

Aah!
The Blau guy has told you the correct thing. If the stock remote was made to work with the stock HU only, then that's it sir!
Another HU will not accept that remote inputs.
Old 26th November 2006, 19:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ohh so that means now this remote is no use, i will have to put the Blaupunkt remote only. Damn, the B.P remote is really ugly and doesnot fit in a proper place and most of all it looks to cheap and after market..
Old 26th November 2006, 20:51   #7
BHPian

See if u can get/make some sort of conversion adapter and check if remote works or not.There r more chances that it wont but still do give it a try.
Old 26th November 2006, 21:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See if u can get/make some sort of conversion adapter and check if remote works or not.
Exactly, i was thinking to do the same, but where can i get it done. The B.P guys is ready to give me a new B.P RC10 remote.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

I would not suggest trying to modify the existing remote. Unless it is something very simple such as a code lock the modifciations might not be done well enough. Sadly almost all car stereo remotes look ugly.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

The B.P guy told me that they will have to rechip the remote or sumthing but the systems warranty will become void.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
The B.P guy told me that they will have to rechip the remote or sumthing but the systems warranty will become void.
i wouldn't try something like that. You have 3 options.
1. Get used to the present setup
2. Change back the HU
3. Change the Steering remote
Old 27th November 2006, 16:47   #12
BHPian

BUSA..frankly if you are driving your self ...do you realy need a remote??

...the player controls would be an arms length away....

Of cousrse the gadget lusting brain might take over ( like it does mine at times..im sure the guys here can think of soem medical term for this )

I wudnt change my HU jsut for teh remote... esp if my Existign HU sounds good...
Old 27th November 2006, 16:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

Sk, sometimes just having forward, reverse or a mute button on the steeting wheel helps. I understand BUSA's pain. Unfortunately most stereo manufacturers do not! :-(
Old 27th November 2006, 16:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

well the stock HU was quite basic so i put the a New B.P Bahamas HU. I know its just a arms lenght away and since the car already has a steering remote company fitted whats the harm in trying to make it work
Old 27th November 2006, 18:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yep. Once you get used to a steering RC, there is no going back. Even stretching your left arm just a little to the HU becomes an inconvenience :-) And a steering RC is safer too. No need to take eyes off the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks