Team-BHP - Eclipse, Rockford Fosgate or Alpine
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Eclipse, Rockford Fosgate or Alpine (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/1916-eclipse-rockford-fosgate-alpine.html)

I was wondering if any of you guys could recomend any of the following HUs:

Eclipse 3434
Alpine 9833
Rockford Fosgate 9000 series CD/MP3 HU

I have seen Alpine in Mumbai but no RF or Eclipse. Where can you get those locally.

I think you would be better off in Alpine. Eclipse dont work here & RF Head Units are basically a waste of money. RF make excellent Amps, Subs and Speakers. I am using RF Amps and Sub in my car. The best sound I have ever got was from Nakamichi and then Alpine.

I have a Nak (tape TD700II) too. great. why wont eclipse work here. unlike AC voltage car volts are all 12V (nominal). not all RF units are bad. the RF unit (2000) made for them by denon is supposed to be competition stuff but it wont play MP3s. my other car uses a Alipne 7385 (circa 1987). this unit fell of a 3rd floor balcony and still works. go figure. my guess is eclipse will skip like hell on mumbai roads. Alpine 9833 it is then. any suggestions on which amp and speakers would best fit in an Octavia?

Well I did not mean the Voltage. I meant the roads are soo bad it is very difficult to hear it without your Song skipping. And well as for Amps go for Alpine, Pioneer or Blaunkpunt. As for Speaker well I dont know the sizes of the Octavia speakers so cant say anything.

How abt JBL ?
I have no idea abt any of them .
But I think even JBL is a good brand

hey,
saw awesome set of audiobhan 6x9 ovals for 8gs one hellva speakers i was fascinated by those speakers they are available at milan subway.

hey, we saw an octy at the bangalore drag with small blaupunkt (180w) fitted without any modification to parcel shelf or car.

Since u`ve finalised on the alpine head unit,go in for the alpine subs and amps.Dont mix-n-match.The sound quality might deteriorate.
X

X machine, why worry about matching. today most good HUs put out 2V min and better ones put out 5-8V. that gives me good enough level to drive almost any good power amp without the fear of roadnoise etc. creeping in. any good install will ensure to avoid groudloops as well. once the large signal components are taken of the small signal stuff is pretty much standard. i just wanted to kow what size of speakers normally come with the Octy. I assume there are 2 small speakers in the rear and 2 more in the front door. I would be looking to replace these with component speakers or better fullrange drivers.

Hi Navin,

A word of advice, Please listen to the head-units first before putting your money down as every unit has a sonic signature and it is very subjective what one likes don’t go by the brand names please.

To me a Sony head-unit sounds BRIGHT gives me a headache within half-an hour, a Pioneer well its on the warmer side it is much easier to listen to in the long run but nothing great about it and the alpine sounds clean more on the neutral side of warm, maybe you don’t understand what I'm trying to say but carefully listen to whatever you buy and will know for a fact it sounds diff from one another .

Regards,
Satyam.

thanks sbfx. well i have done the following. i have taken the advise of my installer based on my listening preferences and we decided to use the 9833. if however i find the 9833 not to my liking they are willing to change it to a JVC, Blaupunkt, etc and bill me when I am satisfied. Every car is a different enviroment and listening to the head unit on a panel is very different to listening to the head unit using external amps. BTW I tried Blaupunkt's velocity amp and prefered the sound of an Alpine amp.

Other than the car itself, there are so many variables most common are speakers, amp and HU. SO I decided to nail down one at a time. I kept the speakers constant (Blaupunkt velocity) because JBL's 5" componnets were not available and Alpine was a bit too bright (heard in a Honday City CVT). then heard 3 amps - blaupunkt, alpine and RF with a Alpine 9830 HU. I prefered the alpine (I dont remember the model but it runs about 19k in fact all 3 amps i tested cost about 19k). so I have now hopefully nailed down the speakers and amp. Now I will listen to a few HUs. after that is done I will listen to the entire system. If I dont like somethig I will try ot figure out what I need to change. one change at a time. this is a slow process. it will take weeks given the rest of my responsibilites. I am lucky to have a coopertive installer.

last time I did this (1996) i found out it was a sub box that was not propoerly made. since readymade oxes did not suit my requirements I had a carpenter fashion 2 boxes. each about 1 cu. ft. using aperiodic loading.

every 8 years or so i go through this excercise. before my 1996 system it was in 1989 i dd this and before that it was in ....u get the drift.:)

Hi Navin,

That’s fantastic!, it is rather diff to get what you want its a long journey though I don’t fancy car audio (the soundstage and the images behind me I don’t understand that *)but very much into a 2ch setup for my room and have spent close to 10-12K (20K retail) US$!! (HT&ST)and not completely there this has got to be by far the most expensive hobby I have, someday I will have sonic nirvana (hopefully soon).

Regards,
Satyam.

Hi Navin,

I was just browsing diyaudio.com and came across some posting from "navin" is it you?

Just curious,
Satyam

yes

pioneer is d best in the world