Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2006, 17:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

I dont want to lose my HU!!!

Hello there Cool Guys of the ICE Forum....

I'm faced with the prospect of getting rid of the OE Head Unit on my Lumina, and I do not want to get rid of it because of the SUPERB OE sound that it produces. Read on:

The trouble started when I bought my first iPod recently. I went looking for CD changers and settled for a 60GB iPod instead as it could hold more music than any CD changer could possibly do.

The iPod was initially linked to my HU via a Griffin iTrip&Charge. I wasnt satisified with the sound and therefore went around looking for other solutions, before settling on the HK Drive + Play - I liked it because it was a great concept, but the price was a bit steep - I went for it finally after it was recommended by the Hairy Yeti. There was no comparable alternative, anyway.

Trouble started with the installation. I tried installing it myself and found that the OE Head Unit has no connector at the back except a fixed mounting PIN which connected it to its 'cage' or the box into which the HU goes. Very clean as the HU comes out in one piece without any wires attached to it, but how the hell do I connect my new Drive+Play toy? Finally settled for a direct antenna connection (as opposed to FM transmitter from iTrip) as that was the only hole I could find .... (PS: No sick jokes please)

Took the car to CAP (Car Audio People) here in Dubai and after half a day they called me to say that the stupid HU has no component in connector.

The only way I can now connect the iPod and the Drive+Play is to buy a new Head Unit. Thsi will be a messy job involving fabrication as the HU is built into the centre console and takes up more space than a double DIN.

I do not want to change my HU for the simple reason that the OE sound was terrific - people sitting in the car have asked me what components I was runnign when I have nothing but STOCK HU and SPEAKERS. I didnt go for an amp or a sub (never felt the need for a sub - the OE speakers have great bass!) in this car simply because I did not want to disturb everything and lose that superb clarity.

Secondly, I do not want to disturb the original dashboard and centre console by going in for the some fabrication that may or may not look good. Plus, I may lose my steering wheel controls as well.

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN CONNECT TO SOME INPUT ON THE EXISTING HU? Considering that the alternative is to lose the HU itself, I wouldnt mind trying some experiments with my existing HU - I was thinking in terms of finding a good HU repair or restorer and get him to solder on an additional input.

Is this recommended?
Old 29th November 2006, 17:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ride the bike instead.

Now you know why I'm not an ICEr.
Old 29th November 2006, 17:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Ride the bike instead.

Now you know why I'm not an ICEr.
Errr.. the bike has ICE too. The helmet has, anyway - connections for iPod, two speakers and a microphone for your phone
Old 29th November 2006, 17:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Errr.. the bike has ICE too. The helmet has, anyway - connections for iPod, two speakers and a microphone for your phone
I know. And I like the way you say my phone.
Old 29th November 2006, 17:26   #5
BHPian

I am no ICE guru, so please excuse, but here are my 2 cents.

I was running the itrip when initially but fiund alot of disturbance especially while aproaching traffic signals. Took the car to a very good installer here who also happens to be a good friend. My HU also does not have an additional Aux input. His techie soldered a wire into the headunit and provided a two way switch. Basically this helps to toggle between the radio and the ipod. Therefore the ipod works off the radio source. And when I want to use the radio I just need to use the 2 way switch.

Ask your installer if he can use the radio source to hook up the Harmon kardon.
Old 29th November 2006, 17:55   #6
BANNED

So simple!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
His techie soldered a wire into the headunit and provided a two way switch. Basically this helps to toggle between the radio and the ipod. Therefore the ipod works off the radio source. And when I want to use the radio I just need to use the 2 way switch.
WOW!!! That's a nice and simple job.
But that can be done in India. what about Mr. Steeroid who is in Dubai?? Will he be able to find somebody for this?

Steer, I think that's the only option you have. That is to make an aux input by opening up the HU.
Old 29th November 2006, 18:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
But that can be done in India. what about Mr. Steeroid who is in Dubai?? Will he be able to find somebody for this?
If I dont find the friendly neighbourhood Mallu technician here (very unlikely that I wont) I'll remove my HU and courier it to you or Sideways.
Old 29th November 2006, 18:07   #8
BANNED

The most common thing in gulf after sand and oil is Malayalees!! Then comes russian proS!!!
But will they be able to do it easily as Mumbaiyyas or Sardarjees??

Why courier it man??
You like travelling right?? Drop in and we can have one more puttu and Kadala!!!
Old 29th November 2006, 18:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If I dont find the friendly neighbourhood Mallu technician here (very unlikely that I wont) I'll remove my HU and courier it to you or Sideways.
Most welcome steer. Will take personal care.
Old 29th November 2006, 19:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

hey Steeroid instead of going in for all the mess with the wires why dont you give this a shot.
My colleague has a 30GB ipod and a ipod dock which in turn synch's with the radio station. I dunno how this thingy works , but sure yeah it synch's with the 87.50 or something frequency.

Check this link : Apple - iPod - Accessories
Old 29th November 2006, 19:33   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
hey Steeroid instead of going in for all the mess with the wires why dont you give this a shot.
My colleague has a 30GB ipod and a ipod dock which in turn synch's with the radio station. I dunno how this thingy works , but sure yeah it synch's with the 87.50 or something frequency.

Check this link : Apple - iPod - Accessories

Hello!!!
He tried and got burned that way. That's why HK drive play came into his hands and this query here!
Old 29th November 2006, 19:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jeees apologies Zak boy I over looked "Griffin White iTrip & Charger".
Old 29th November 2006, 21:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Steer, does your HU take input from a CD Changer? (You'd mentioned looking for CD Changers). If it does, then there maybe some way of getting the iPod output adapted to the CD Changer input.

In fact most of the proprietary iPod interface solutions of manufacturers (eg. Blau) plug into the CD Changer input of the HU, ruining your option of using a CD Changer also (one of the reasons I did not spring for an iPod interface for my Blau Casablanca, after paying 15K for a Blau CD Changer).
Old 29th November 2006, 23:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Steer

Can you please put up some pics of your HU, dash. It will help.

Meanwhile, check this out... I think its what you need.

P.I.E. GM12-AUXV2 2003-2006 GM Auxiliary Input Converter

Cheers
Old 30th November 2006, 22:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hold your horse Steeroid. have you seen this...or the PIE thing gunbir has linked.

P.I.E. GM12-AUXV2 2003-2006 GM Auxiliary Input Converter

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PACAUXPOD

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PACABGM9

print these out and talk to your chevy dealer.

BTW my sis in law lives in Bahrain and drive a Chevy Lumina too nd they do supply quite a nice system (compared to other OEM systems).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks