Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 13:31   #46
Team-BHP Support

Navinji the audio is via 3.5mm audio jack or via wireless FM transmitter.

The wireless part Sam is referring to I believe is the controller is now wireless. Before the controller wasn't a wireless one.
Old 9th January 2007, 14:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yep, the D+P II really wins out simply on the possibilities of connectivity. It looks like it will play anything you throw at it. And it will connect to nearly anything, in nearly every way! Only WiFi seems to be lacking -- Sam? At this price point, WiFi would be a good addition. Esp. with newer phones, PDAs etc and even PMPs having WiFi (eg the Zune and the new iPod is rumoured to have it -- we'll know in about 12 hours -- MacWorld!!!) & most of them being uPnP compliant. Even without WiFi, this is one Uber Gadget that kicks serious @$$.

And, I think the iPods and The Zunes are likely to get connected via their own proprietary connector cables. 3.5mm jack wouldn't let the players be controlled or charged by the D+PII.

Control via wireless is just great. One small issue with the current D+P is that there are a whole lot of wires to run -- brain to power, brain to display, brain to controller and brain to iPod. Cutting even one set of wires is a great thing. BTW, is the Display wireless too? (pant, pant...) Unlikely, I know :-(

It is rare that you come across something that does not have any any kind of competition. This is one of those. Too bad it is priced outta my reach. I would have paid 10K now (current price of D+P) for one of these.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Folks, the Alpine HU mentioned in post #1 (pic below) has been given a price and a date.

Source: Alpine's iDA-X001 priced and dated - Engadget

Quote:
Even though an almost monopolistic number of new cars come with iPod integration straight off the manufacturing line, consumers haven't relented in their search for the perfect iPod-car integration system. Based on early shots of Alpine's iDA-X001, it appears to come close to hitting this sweet spot of iPod integration. That's due in no small part to the statement that the Alpine was "designed and developed with input from Apple." Fortunately for all those iPod owners with cars out there -- we're guessing there's quite a few -- the company has started the countdown by committing to making the iDA-X001 available in February for $450.
Listing on Alpine Website: Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - iDA-X001

24bit DAC converter!!!!! Apparently this baby is mostly just a front-end for an iPod, and does not play CDs. Looks like this would be the nearest 'competition' to the H/K D+P II.

Last edited by hydrashok : 9th January 2007 at 15:28.
Old 9th January 2007, 19:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The harman/kardon Drive and Play I, which is iPod specific, monochrome, wired display and controller will still be current and active.
And maybe be priced at 5-6K? Mmmmmmm....?

Quote:
It will work on all drives, including USB pen drives. Which means that you can plug in your USB drive and manage the playlist on your screen with the iDrive type controller.
Sam, any idea if there is a USB drive capacity restriction? I'm thinking big @$$ external HDD here
Old 11th January 2007, 10:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here's something from JVC for a change:

Quote:
As we overheard yesterday during JVC's live press conference, the company has unveiled a single-DIN in-dash solution for navigation and DVD / CD playback. The multifaceted KD-NX5000 sports a sleek, black motif with quite a busy faceplate, which is packed with a 3.5-inch LCD screen, volume / track controls, blue backlights, and nearly half a dozen logos. Crammed within the narrow enclosure is a 40GB hard drive with 15GB reserved for maps / navigation functions and 25GB for music / media. On the navigation side, it sports built-in real-time traffic, maps of North America and Virgin Islands, 13 million POIs, and a remote control to (partially) keep your eyes on the road. On the stereo side, it plays back DVDs, CDs, DivX, MPEG 1/2, and even displays JPEG photos, but it can also rip CDs straight the HDD and can receive tunes from Bluetooth-enabled DAPs / iPods with appropriate adapters. So if you're satisfied with keeping your current ride, and don't want to cramp its style by installing one of those unsightly in-car mounting kits, you can shove a navigation system in your dash next month for $1,199.95.
Source: JVC kicks out KD-NX5000 in-dash HDD navigation / DVD head unit - Engadget

25GB for music (in a 40GB HDD) ain't that bad. And it rips your CDs and stores the music!!! Plays DivX. I wish something like this without all the GPS bells and whistles, something which is just ICE oriented could hit our shores.
Old 11th January 2007, 13:45   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
25GB for music (in a 40GB HDD) ain't that bad..
given that the HU does not need to be portable i wonder why they did not include a 200GB drive. my el cheapo home video recorder has one. in fact they could even make the HDD plugable (with a lock) allowing you to remove the HDD and take it to your home PC for filling with music.

Meanwhile some time back Clarion bought an HU that I like a lot if it werent so damn expensive.
Clarion VRX765VD In-dash DVD player with 7'' video screen at Crutchfield.com
Old 11th January 2007, 16:05   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Aren't wired systems supposed to sound better?
The control and display is wireless. The audio is wired. Yay.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:07   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=hydrashok;351359Only WiFi seems to be lacking -- Sam? At this price point, WiFi would be a good addition. [/QUOTE]

It has blue coloured teeth.
Old 13th January 2007, 12:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

Alpine BT interface for HUs

Source: Alpine offers up KCE-300BT Bluetooth Interface Module for in-car head units - Engadget

Alpine's Press Release: Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - January 08, 2007

Quote from Engadget:
Quote:
Alpine's got a fine streak going with regard to integrating consumer electronics into its snazzy head units, and now it's continuing the trend by offering up a do-it-all Bluetooth Interface Module. The KCE-300BT accessory acts as a bantam liaison between your Bluetooth-enabled handset and that brand new Ai-NET-compatible stereo, giving users the ability to hold handsfree conversations sans wires or complicated installations, and also allowing A2DP / AVRCP-compliant mobiles to stream tunes and control playback functions. Co-developed with Motorola to work specifically with Alpine's 2007 lineup of Ai-NET head units, it's possible this module would actually work with other BT-enabled units not manufactured by Alpine, but we're not so sure we'd press our luck. Anyways, the interface also allows users to peep caller ID information, missed / dialed calls, and on certain high-end units, you can even scroll through your address book, which we're certain is exactly what everyone around you on the freeway hopes you're eyes are glued to. Regardless, Alpine's KCE-300BT can add another dash of utility to your otherwise average in-dash media player next month for a (slightly steep) $220.
Old 13th January 2007, 13:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

CES Innovations 2007 Awards Honorees

Check out this page: 2007 International CES:*Innovations Honorees

Its a list of ICE products that won the CES Innovations award this year. I'm posting some ICE pR0n below (Pics and text from the webpage mentioned above):

The PXE-H650 System Integration Audio Processor uses Alpine's Imprint sound tuning technology. It allows aftermarket components to be added to OEM systems and has customizable, yet automatic sound tuning capabilities.

Blaupunkt's THA475 PnP amplifier is tiny, runs cool, includes an auxiliary input, and uses specific-car wiring harness adapters to install in just fifteen minutes with no crimping, splicing, or soldering.

The design concept of the Hertz HP1KD was Power; technically and visually. A 3200W(RMS) mono amplifier with HP Manager™ microprocessor controlled protection and HP Link 2™ bridging circuit for 5500W(RMS)!

The Hertz Mille ML3000 was designed to set a new standard for mobile audio subwoofers; linear, accurate and detailed reproduction of low frequencies, high SPL capabilities and extreme reliability.

The JBL MS-8: With Automatic Acoustic Equalization, Input Channel Combining, Un-EQ, Logic7 Soundstage Enhancement, Digital Crossover, System Tuning Memory Recall, iPod control and eight amplifier channels included, MS-8 makes ANY car sound great.

Pioneer DEH-P6900UB single CD Player with Built-in USB Connection

The first audio-streaming AM/FM/CD receiver with wireless Bluetooth® technology, the MEX-BT5000 connects with cellular phones and other devices, including portable music players featuring Bluetooth connectivity.
Old 14th January 2007, 08:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

BT HU from Clarion

Looks like 2007 is the year Bluetooth in the car, huh? Here's a BT HU from Clarion. Looks so out-of-the-world!

Source: Clarion showcases Bluetooth / SD FB275BT head unit, touts "no moving parts" - Engadget

Quote:
Clarion's already shown us its N.I.C.E. 430 navigation system here at CES, but its "semiconductor car stereo" stole the show by offering up an in-car stereo with "no moving parts," which means you won't find an optical drive or HDD in here. The single-DIN FB275BT instead receives music care of the SD slot (unfortunately, no SDHC support was mentioned) behind the front white panel or over Bluetooth, and pumps out the jams with it's 50-watt x 4 internal amplifier. Aside from also boasting handsfree connectivity with your mobile, it features an FM tuner (sorry, AM lovers), two-line LCD display, rear auxiliary input for your DAP of choice, two-channel RCA output, and a modest assortment of equalizer / bass boost presets. The faceplate boasts eight large, curved buttons as a part of Clarion's HMI (Human Machine Interface), which reportedly seeks to "minimizes the number of buttons while maximizing functionality," and plenty of indirect lighting keep it lookin' good when nightfall hits. So if you're ready to ditch the CD for good, you can pick up the FB275BT sometime this year for $249.99.
Basically a BT receiver with an amp. Hmmmmmm... This kind of tech will take a few years to get accepted I think...
Old 14th January 2007, 20:33   #57
BHPian

The harman/kardon Drive and Play I ...

Quote:
And maybe be priced at 5-6K? Mmmmmmm....?
Hydra, you can buy D+P online for ~$100

Quote:
Sam, any idea if there is a USB drive capacity restriction? I'm thinking big @$$ external HDD here
External HDD would require power to run and draining your HU may hang the damn thing. It happens often when you connet a mini drive to the laptop. If you provide separate power (say from the lighter thingie) then I think you can. At the same time, USB drives (flash memory) wouldnt have that problem - no moving parts you see. They come in 8GB these days, sufficient for quite a lot!
Old 15th January 2007, 00:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Hydra, you can buy D+P online for ~$100

External HDD would require power to run and draining your HU may hang the damn thing. It happens often when you connet a mini drive to the laptop. If you provide separate power (say from the lighter thingie) then I think you can. At the same time, USB drives (flash memory) wouldnt have that problem - no moving parts you see. They come in 8GB these days, sufficient for quite a lot!
Ya, I saw the listing on ebay (D+P) but I always sleep better with a warranty under my pillow :-)

I do know about the power issues (will need to use ciggy lighter thingie). But no extra power cable for a big drive will have me sold! And I'm mostly thinking in terms of my 250GB iomega
Old 15th January 2007, 00:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It has blue coloured teeth.
That's actually good enough, but you can't blame a guy for fantasizing, can ya?

Wireless display rocks, yay!

Sam any idea about that JBL MS-8 thing in post #56

And will there be a 50% discount on a D+P II for the first customer in India Hmmmmmm?
Old 16th January 2007, 17:54   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
That's actually good enough, but you can't blame a guy for fantasizing, can ya?

Wireless display rocks, yay!

Sam any idea about that JBL MS-8 thing in post #56

And will there be a 50% discount on a D+P II for the first customer in India Hmmmmmm?
As is the custom for all new and exciting products, the first D+PII import into the country, India serial number 00001, will go into a certain wild haired gentleman's car.
This is the law.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks