Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2006, 21:57   #1
BHPian

OHC setup

hi guys,i have an OHC and have a stock HONDA cassette player and radio.
so my budget is quite economical.i am ready to spend 12000/-.

1.and am confused whether to add the changer to the existing cassette player as i have seen tht it have some aux on it.
or
2.get a new basic mp3 player.

and also get a sub woofer.and i dont want to change any stock speakers.
so guys i need help regarding this.pls help.
Old 1st December 2006, 22:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont have more details about Honda's stock HU.
Is it cd player ? if not then first You should have to get Mp3 player and Comps for front for your budget. later when you want to spend some more bucks you can add amp and sub.

BTW Have a look at this thread.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 1st December 2006, 23:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sankeerth,

I would go for an MP3 HU, and not a changer. Lesser hassle. Easier to setup. More cost effective in the long run. Unless of course, you don't listen to MP3s much and prefer CDs.

A Pio 2850MP should do you, if you're looking at entry level stuff. Else Sony will have good MP3 HUs at 6.5K

You can add a sub and amp also for the total of 12K if you go for a Pio Sub (Pioneer TSW306C @ 3500/- approx) + 2ch Pio Amp or Sony 552 Amp (3500/- approx).

Now both these options are entry level items and if you start getting serious about ICE later, you'll need to chuck them and start over. (Except perhaps if you choose a good Sony HU, which should be good enough to be a keeper).

If you are serious now/intend to get reasonably serious about ICE, logical upgrade path would be:

1. Upgrade HU OR Change front speakers (JBLCS2165C @ 4990/- or Hertz DSK165s at a slightly higher price).

2. Do whichever step you missed in 1.

3. Add a Sub and Amp. (JBL CS60.2 Amp @ 6990/- and a CS1204B SubBox or a JBL CS 1204T BassTube @ Rs 6500)

4. Change rear speakers to a JBL CS2165 or Hertz DSK165. (Approx 4000/- for JBL, a bit higher for the Hertz).

Trust me, if you follow these steps you'll enjoy the better sound each time you upgrade, and you'll not likely have to replace something you've already bought. Take 6-8 months to get from step 1 to 4. If you're happy after step 4, stop. Else come back then and ask us to suggest a 4-ch amp :-)

Check-out the link in Mugen's post for a whole lot more options.

Last edited by hydrashok : 2nd December 2006 at 00:00.
Old 2nd December 2006, 00:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Else come back then and ask us to suggest a 4-ch amp :-)
Yes Yes.. All are ready to suggest you 4-ch amp than monoblock amp, then another sub,dvd hu etc..

Thats nicely written with speaker models and prizes also.

In TBHP's ICE Section Gurus are ready to suggest you system for 10K to 50K for only HU.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 2nd December 2006, 00:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

well personally i think you should go with the cd changer..probably a 12cd...i dont like the mp3 players...all though that is what is most common.
Old 2nd December 2006, 11:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankeerthreddy View Post
hi guys,i have an OHC and have a stock HONDA cassette player and radio.
so my budget is quite economical.i am ready to spend 12000/-..
here are you choices...

a. a new HU. for 10-12K you can get a ncie HU that will be upgradeable with additiona amps etc... when you see fit.

b. an ipod and cassette or EP to RCA adapter (the later if tyour HU has an AUx in). You can get the new small 8GB Ipod or even a 30GB Photo for 12K.

c. a changer but i doubt the OEM HU will control the changer so I would first check that out. Some changers are connected via FM modulators and this can be another option. FM Modulators compress the singal quite a bit so dont expect CD quality sound from such a changer.

Confused? :-) Welcome to ICE.
Old 3rd December 2006, 21:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest a CD changer first. but find out what brand your HU is. you could get a MP3 cd changer & some decent components for the front. later you can change your HU & add amp & SW.
Old 12th December 2006, 21:41   #8
BHPian

hi sankeerthreddy,

am too working on the audio setup (not a complete ICE) for my OHC now.

Honda, Alpine,... these are brands that need a lot of moolah as their proprietary devices do not give way to too much modifications if you are thinking at a "budget" level.

You will have an Alpine TDA 7653E cass. player / radio / Changer controller unless someone had changed it. This HU can go with a Ai-net based CD changer only (If I'm wrong some of the gurus please correct me).

An Ai-net CD changer will set you back by a few thousands.

Let me share with you my idea,... I'm buying an Ai-net to RCA adaptor from the US or UK (this thing plugs into the Ai-net CD changer control port of the TDA 7653E and will let you plug in a device that gives plain L-R channels as RCA output).

This adaptor is coded KCA 121B by Alpine and has many imitation options too. But am buying the original Alpine. The price must be upto 20$ / Rs. 900 (minus the shipping)

As for music, in my case, I spend 80% of my life in front of a computer, so I have chosen to use a large USB flash disk cum MP3 player (not iPOD ). I have some TBs of music on MP3, so there ends my need of a CD changer.

I'm planning to put in money to change the stock door and rear-speakers to a good one.

Will go on with a good sub and amp to suit my metal / trash music likes in a month or so.

(I would rather spend 10K to 20 k INR on the speaker / amp / sub)

When the time comes for a DVD player / screen, I will be dumping the HU altogether if proprietary devices are so expensive and stupid.

I hope my suggestion helps you.

Last edited by gbpscars : 12th December 2006 at 21:44.
Old 12th December 2006, 23:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Honda HU is a clarion as are the speakers. I just put in my Pioneer 4650 in my recently bought OHC and mated it to the OE clarion speakers. Plays well.

Maybe you could do something similar . Hope this helps
Old 13th December 2006, 12:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The Honda HU is a clarion as are the speakers. I just put in my Pioneer 4650 in my recently bought OHC and mated it to the OE clarion speakers. Plays well.

Maybe you could do something similar . Hope this helps
The OE speakers are supplied by clarion, but unfortunately are not very good speakers and I suspect not made by clarion. I would never recommend keeping them. Even if you replace the speakers on a stock HU there is a huge difference.
Old 13th December 2006, 18:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The Honda HU is a clarion as are the speakers.
I thought all OHCs came with an Alpine!!! Sorry. Did Honda sell OHCs with different HUs or they gave choices for the HU?

Anyway am stuck with an Alpine HU for now :(, for that matter , I have Alpine speakers too!!

Sam???

Last edited by gbpscars : 13th December 2006 at 18:21.
Old 13th December 2006, 19:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
I thought all OHCs came with an Alpine!!! Sorry. Did Honda sell OHCs with different HUs or they gave choices for the HU?
Originally OHCs came with Clarion. Later they changed to Alpine.
Old 13th December 2006, 19:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Originally OHCs came with Clarion. Later they changed to Alpine.
Sam AFAIK the 1.3 & 1.5 OHC's only came with Clarion's. However, the VTEC & Special Edition (50th anniversary) OHC's were fitted with Alpine's.
Old 13th December 2006, 19:54   #14
BHPian

Sankeerth, sorry for deviating this thread.

Decided on your plans for your car's Audio setup?

or CONFUSED?
Old 30th May 2007, 16:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Aha! i knew there would be a thread on ice setup for an OHC. Good i did not start a new one.
So, as i mentioned elsewhere, i have a Pioneer 7950UB HU. But the speakers are stock, which are pathetic to say the least. The Left Rear one doesnt even work anymore.
Can someone please tell me what options i have with a budget of 20K?
I am thinking components in the front, coax at the back and a sub somewhere in the boot? But thats where my knowledge of ice starts and ends.
I probably need an amp as well.
The kind of music i listen to varies from metal, jazz, rock to bhangra.
So, any help regarding what brands/models i can go for would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks