Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2006, 17:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
At 15K per 2 pair plus damping you are really looking at 3K for the damping, 7K for the front components, and 5K for a pair of rear 6x9s. I'd look at Infinty Reference, Alpine Type R and Hertz Hi-Energy.
The TypeRs go for around 12.5k retail and the Hi Energy go for around 15k retail. The Infinity Kappas are more sonically comparable to this bunch though, and the fight here would be between the Kappas and the High Energy's. The Rtypes lose out big time in this matchup.

The Infinity Reference are priced around 8-9k if I'm not mistaken and they compare well sonically with the Hertz Energy which are also priced in the same range. The Rtype is similar sounding, but more expensive at 12.5k. Between these three the winner could be any one, based on whos comparing them.
Old 8th December 2006, 19:34   #17
BHPian

I went to Pro-Drive again on my way back home. He doesnt sell POLK. After talking to him i am more confused. He said i should update the rear 6X9 and HU first and then the compos and AMP. He says adding a component in the front w/o a AMP would be useless. ??

Navin, i would not put Sony/Pioneer even if i get them free. And i think the chances of these 2 brans being fake are much high than other brands.

After reading the prices of other brands it seems i have to be content with Infinity Reference or otherwise our VFM JBL GTO series is always there.

One more thing Abdul (PD) said damping material has to be used only when you put a sub-woofer. I instantly understood he needs lessons from our ICE Gurus :-)
Old 8th December 2006, 20:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
He said i should update the rear 6X9 and HU first and then the compos and AMP. He says adding a component in the front w/o a AMP would be useless. ??
I missed this thread completely :-(

Components sound their best when amped. But amping is not an absolute necessity, but is highly desirable.

About the rear 6x9s, if you get good components in front, the rears will only need to do support duty. I would upgrade them last. What are your rears? Sonys, like your HU? I couldn't make out. If they are Sonys, upgrading them will be essential, but still do it last. I would suggest first front comps, then amp, then HU, then rears.

Depending on how good the comps are you'll need to damp the front doors. The better they are, the quicker you'll need damping :-). After amping them, you will definitely need to damp the front doors.
Old 8th December 2006, 20:26   #19
BHPian

hydra, yes you are correct, my rears are currently fake Sonys. And one of them emit a irritating cracked type of sound on bass. Fronts have 4 inch Sony too. I am aware that AMP are better for compos, but thought i could put one in later. Also as i mentioned mu HU is giving some problems, not reading CDs etc.
In this case (rears not working properly) can i upgrade:-
1. Rears 6X9
2. Comp
3. AMP
4. HU
??
Old 8th December 2006, 20:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

hyper, with a set of good comps (6.5" comps) upfront (and damped panels up front) the rears really don't have much role to play at all. But if you prefer to have most of your sound from the back (a lot of people do), by all means go for the rears first. If you don't plan a sub in the near future, go for 6x9 co-axials.

You can then go for the front comps, then the Amp, and then the HU (my preferred order).

If you are not so particular about having sound from the back, I would still suggest front comps first. And you can probably disconnect the rears altogether till you want to upgrade (so as to avoid the cracked sound)

The order of the rest is really up to your convenience.

- If you want more punch in the rear after doing the comps, do the rears next.

- Then add an amp (unless your HU is driving you nuts).

- Then change the HU (if you didn't change it earlier).

The HU must be driving you mad, I understand :-) If you have an MP3 player, and if your HU accepts aux-in, why don't you skip playing CDs on the HU altogether, and set-up your MP3 player to feed the HU's aux in? Just an idea.
Old 9th December 2006, 08:58   #21
BHPian

hydra, that was a great idea. I have a Sony CDX-F5500. It has "Pre-Sub" written on the faceplate. I assume that means it has one set of pre-outs. I have a iPod as well as a regular Creative Zen MP3 player (wifey). The problem for my HU is that its a Sony and they require some key to open it out from the dash (learnt it from tbhpians). Unfortunately i dont have that key, so i have to find out whether it really has a Aux-In. I would google it too.
So its that then
1. Compos
2. Rear (i would disconnect the current ones as of now)
3. AMP
4. HU (use my ipod etc. as of now)
Old 9th December 2006, 09:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

HV, your installer will have the required key. you need "pre/aux in" not "pre out" to connect your ipod/MP3 player to your HU.
Old 11th December 2006, 10:31   #23
BHPian

I got JBL GTO507c for the front doors yesterday. Got it done from SF. They did a nice install. I would post pics later. It was a Sunday and they didnt have more time, so couldn't get the rear 6X9s (GTO 937). Preetam was not there, the other guy said that damping would be 4.5K for the front doors and the brand he showed me was not Dynamat/Wurth. I can source Dynamat Extreme 4 sheets of 12InchX36Inch @ 4K from US. I would wait for that.

Pio 6850 is around 9.5K w/o BW. Another interesting thing i asked the price for Alpine 9856, he said 17K, while Crutchfield retails it for $199 (Apprx 9K). Please suggest whether Pio 6850 or Alpine 9856 is better for SQ, now that i have got JBLs. Another option is also Blaupunkt St. Louis MP56 (around 13K @ Crutchfield). Can someone tell me the MRP for Blau MP56 in India with BW?

MODS: Could you please change the Thread name to "HU Query for JBL speakers". I would be obliged. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 11th December 2006 at 10:51.
Old 11th December 2006, 11:06   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pio 6850 is around 9.5K w/o BW. Another interesting thing i asked the price for Alpine 9856, he said 17K, while Crutchfield retails it for $199 (Apprx 9K). .
17K looks a bit steep. Alpine's gaining a lot of popularity of late maybe that is why their local prices are higher now.

What is the price of trhe Pio 6850 with B&W?
Old 11th December 2006, 12:12   #25
BHPian

gunbir, can you please PM me the prices for Pio 6850 with BW and Blaupunkt St. Louis MP56 MRP. I assume Alpine wont come with BW in India.
Old 11th December 2006, 14:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gunbir, can you please PM me the prices for Pio 6850 with BW and Blaupunkt St. Louis MP56 MRP. I assume Alpine wont come with BW in India.
Alpine does come with B&W in India. The Pio 6850 is for 9K grey and 16k B&W IIRC. Dunno the Blau price...
Old 11th December 2006, 14:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

hyper, the Blau St. Louis MP56 is approx 22K here. The local Blau showroom hasn't sold one yet, so they don't have the price offhand.

The Blau MemphisMP66 is mostly the same HU, but with a full colour TFT display (as against a VarioColour diplay with 4096 colours for the St. Louis). The Memphis costs 25K. They have sold quite a few of this HU. Apparently because of the difference in colour (and smoothness of display), most people prefer the Memphis to the St.Louis.
Old 11th December 2006, 14:53   #28
BHPian

Blaupunkt St. Louis MP56 MRP is 17250. I had written to MICO and they got back to me within an hour.

There are 2 options now. Source a Blau MP56 @13K from US or buy a Grey Pio 6850 @ 9K. Please suggest.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 11th December 2006 at 15:05.
Old 11th December 2006, 14:54   #29
BANNED

Alpine comes with B&W and an excellent service support too (Depends on the dealer).

Supreme Hifi does the authorised importing and distributing for Alpine.
Old 11th December 2006, 15:22   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey I assumed 17K was for the 9856 WITH bill and warranty.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks