Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2006, 16:51   #1

The Verna Audio Thread

Iam planning to take Diesel verna in JANUARY..But iam on the look out for a audio system which can be the best for verna..As it is the car is relatively new,i was bowled over by the amount of technical jargon over here..Especially ICE part..

But,i was really impressed with the forum..Really answered all my queries about choosing the car..I zeroed down to verna after extensive reading of all the posts..

Coming to the point,I searched for Verna audio and came up with only one post..And that too it was already pre decided.

My requirements are i would be using it to hear about 1-2 hours per day..Mostly Soft rock,Bollywood music..I want something which would look neat in the car..Something like a very cool HU.Double din or more.Willing to compromise a little on the sound front for a neat,big and stylish HU.Iam sure this post would look a lot amateurish than the various other posts here,but please help me out here..Iam just about to complete my MBBS and i know nothing about acoustic parlance..

The post i came across suggested ---Pioneer double din head, JBL speakers (components for front, Co-axials for back, subwoofer and amp)..IS this ok for my listening pleasure..My budget is around 25000.Willing to spend another 2- 3000 more if its worth it..

MY sinciere request to moderators--- If i have omitted anything which would make this post void,please do tell me as iam willing to add it..but i have added everything which is required for a proper answer to my best of my abilities.
This is my first post, Expecting for a answer..
Old 6th December 2006, 17:35   #2
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I think basic double din pioneer HUs start from 15-16k onwards (grey). that hardly leaves you with any $$$s for the rest of the setup. I think you should go for a snazzy HU, JBL components for front and JBL coaxials for the back + installation. Think if the amp and sub later or push your budget higher.

Last edited by NIP : 6th December 2006 at 17:36.
Old 6th December 2006, 17:45   #3

What HU usually can be called snazzy Hu?I am pretty sure that i cant stretch my budget...anymore.
Old 6th December 2006, 19:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think regarding your budget the best bet would be to first go through this thread & then post any enquiries that you might have for the experts to answer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...k-25k-30k.html
Old 6th December 2006, 20:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

doc, welcome to ICE. If you're going to listen to music in your car for 1-2 hours a day, then 25000/- is a good place to start from. :-)

Do you need to play cassettes as well as CDs? If you don't, don't spend an insane amount for a Double DIN HU. They generally are worse, function-wise and nearly everything-wise when compared to a HU of the same price. Get a good Alpine or Blaupunkt HU (Blaus are not exactly bling, or anywhere near it, but they sound sweet, and you'll get good service). For special effects, buy Pioneer. DEH5850 and upwards will give you good sound, and are really up there on bling factor. You'll be able to do a good HU for 10-12K with B&W.

I think the Verna takes 6" to 6.5" speakers in front and 6x9" in back in the stock speaker pods.

Incidentally, Speedzak & I were hanging out at an installer's place yesterday (I have something cooking up) and he mentioned an install in a Verna he'd done 2 weeks back. He did Hertz DSK165s in the front and (keeping with the customer's budget and requirements) some brand of 6x9s in the back. The customer incidentally wanted a Double DIN HU as his father's music was all in cassettes. It seems the customer (and the installer) were amazed at the clarity and bass output in the front stage. He said the bass response was like there was a small sub up front. The customer wanted leather seats done later on, and he was concerned if the leather seats would mess with the sound in any way.
End of story.

doc, Check the thread iRaghava pointed to for speaker options. Spending 10-12k on speakers would be a good idea. You would still be able to keep within your budget (If you don't want a sub and amp now.) I would advice you to wait a while and then spend another 12K later on a good sub and an amp, to round out the system. Since you said you'll be spending 1-2 hours in the car, you should consider this.
Old 6th December 2006, 21:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Next, congrats with your new car.

Finally, all the best with ICE!
Old 6th December 2006, 23:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP.
You should have to install JBL compos for front and co-axials for rear.
Dont go for Double din HU, go for decent HU which has front,rear and sub output.

Later you can add amp and sub if you need more bass.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 7th December 2006, 09:16   #8

Thanks for the response..I will enquire in the market over here,the prices and combination..And will get back to you soon.,to clear if i have any further doubts..
Old 7th December 2006, 17:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

A good double din would cost you approximately what your budget is right now. so if you are dying for that snazzy look, think again. there is nothing to beat the OEL display & the jing bangs that you get in a pioneer. so try visiting some dealers & check out the better looking ones.
Old 8th December 2006, 11:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

doc,

There is a big hairy Guru on this forum called Sam. Not "Son of Sam" just Sam (but just as crazy as "Son of Sam"). He is getting a Verna too. I'd do what he does (to his car I mean).

I dont see any use a double din unless you are using casstte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfootie View Post
....Iam just about to complete my MBBS and i know nothing about acoustic parlance..
are you sure?... you ought to know this...."The scala tympani, scala media and scala vestibuli make up the cochlea which is used for hearing. The cochlea is responsible for converting sounds which enter the ear canal, from mechanical vibrations into electrical signals"...and there is more.
Old 8th December 2006, 13:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I can do a lot to my car. I don't think many can keep up. Ghar ki kheti you see.

But I do believe the verna can accomodate 6" components in the front and a 6X9 in the rear as factory stock. What I am also very pleasantly surprised at is the sheer gauge of the body metal, that sounds thunky and solid - leading me to believe that it will sound nice.
Old 8th December 2006, 15:22   #12
BHPian

Hi Doc,

I've recently picked up a verna and ICEd it in Blore from Autofusion. I've got a Pio 6850, JBL Infinity components (6.25) for the front and 6x9 co-axials at the back. Plan to fit an amp and sub sometime. The car is presently in Hyd, so let me know if you want to listen.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 8th December 2006, 15:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
are you sure?... you ought to know this...."The scala tympani, scala media and scala vestibuli make up the cochlea which is used for hearing. The cochlea is responsible for converting sounds which enter the ear canal, from mechanical vibrations into electrical signals"...and there is more.
If i could have used that kind of knowledge for fitting my car audio system then i would have been an exalted audio guru here..But alas,i am a novice here..

And Spyder---How much did it cost you??And are you satisfied with the result or would you wished you would have done something little differently?
Old 8th December 2006, 22:44   #14

I had gone to Secunderabad market to know the various combinations,prices and availability of the stuff. The dealer is quoting Pioneer 5850 as worth Rs.. around 7k...You should have looked the dealers face..when i said HERTZ...They were treating it as if it were some "alien" word..

I went to the place in Secunderabad near KIMS.I was taken aback that the names which we quite often use here in the forum are treated as something very new over there.Went to 3 different dealers.iAM Quoting the least price i could get.. this is from Car Tracks. Shop.......All of them suggested me going for JBL ,Alpine or kenwood.speakers..Front JBL--4k Rear Kenwood around 3k

2 channel amplifier of Sony -- Around 3k
Subwoofer of Pioneer--Around 3k
RCA WIRES---1K {Was insisting on Monster Interlink jr.}..He kept a blank face..

So,i could get a quotation of the whole for 20k..Is it a good enough proposition??or Do i just go for Hertz by searching in the whole market??
Old 9th December 2006, 00:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

doc, PM Gunbir for details on HERTZ dealers in Secunderabad/Hyderabad. Believe me, it is worth taking a little effort to install Hertz. Audison RCA wires (will be available with the Hertz dealer) also run to 1k, and are better.

It is always recommended to install speakers from the same brand and series in the front and back. Better not mix and match here. And if you are buying a sub you really don't ned 6x9s in the back. 6.5" co-axials will do. But some modding or using an adapter maybe needed to fit them in the 6x9 pods. May not be worth the hassle, if too much modding is needed (considering the knowledge-level of the installers you've mentioned). You'll need to decide that (addnl cost vs. modding).

Better avoid Sony amps. They are not so good. Unless you are on a really tight budget. Get a Pio 4-ch amp for about 7.5K (w/o B&W -- not recommended), or a JBL CS60.4 amp (4-channel) for 9K. You can drive the front comps and the sub with the JBL amp.

A Pio 5850 for 7K sounds ok. Maybe 500.00 on the higher side. Do make sure it is genuine Pio, OK?

Pio subs in that range are also not exactly desirable, but if you're on a tight budget, ok. A JBL sub (tube/box) should be available for 5 to 5.5K. (You can avoid having to make and pay for an enclosure).

Last edited by hydrashok : 9th December 2006 at 00:26.

Most Viewed