Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 00:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions

So, I drive a Honda Jazz i-DTEC V variant. We all know that the NVH levels on the Jazz aren't something to write home about. It drives well and all that, but the cabin noise is something that you cannot help. I can do very little about the engine noise, but, I needed better music. I cannot upgrade the ICE as I have a 4 year warranty on the car. So have to stick to stock.

So what can I do to get a better music experience in the Jazz? 3M Acoustics Solutions - Valentines Day gift to self.

Final bill - INR 6,418 with taxes. (For medium size cars, my friends City will also be charged the same)

Has it helped? Yes. The music sounds much better. There's fewer vibrations felt on high volume. Also, the dampening will ensure that on tracks with high bass, rattling will be taken care off. The audio level for the same track, at the same volume just feels so much better. The music sounds much more deeper than it was before the treatment.

Not that I need a disco on wheels, but this has helped my case, just to up the game of the stock stereo setup.
I have been told that the overall cabin noise will also reduce with this treatment, but haven't driven the car on a highway yet to test this.

PS. It takes around 45 minutes for each door to be finished, end to end. Job done by 3M Car Care Thane.

Door trim opened up, 2 screws hold up the door pad on a Honda Jazz. On all doors.
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-01img_20180214_130744.jpg

The Acoustics Solutions from 3M come in a packed box
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-02img_20180214_174444.jpg

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-03img_20180214_174455.jpg

Contents
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-04img_20180214_174502.jpg

Thin aluminium sheets stuck with a 3M double tape on the door, on the outer shell
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-06img_20180214_133620.jpg

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-07img_20180214_133638.jpg

Absorbing material stuck using masking tapes around the open slots on the doors inside shell
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-08img_20180214_134608.jpg

How things are covered
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-09img_20180214_140612_bokeh.jpg

Power window wire arrangement remains untouched
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-10img_20180214_140816_bokeh.jpg

Front door seemed a bit complicated
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-11img_20180214_141650.jpg

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-12img_20180214_141659.jpg

Took a little more time to finish this one
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-13img_20180214_145100_bokeh.jpg

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-14img_20180214_160123.jpg

Slapped the aluminium pads under this sound deadening material as well
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-15img_20180214_165359.jpg

Washed and ready to leave!
Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-15img_20180214_174638.jpg

Now!

Those who need exceptional sound output, superior bass; you have to upgrade your ICE. But for those who want to stick to their stock setup, and want to improve the audio quality without messing up the warranty, this seems pretty neat.

Last edited by parrys : 15th February 2018 at 00:14.
parrys is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 00:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions

Why would a stock speaker need such extensive damping? Most of the stereo systems in the budget car segment (With the exception of TATA cars) have really poor audio systems. Surprised those can rattle the car.

Did you consider just using some damping material (or a wooden spacer?) just where the speakers are attached on the door panel? Would have most probably solved the rattle issue at a fraction of the cost.

PS - I've done damping for all doors, boot etc - but then there are two amplifiers in the boot ensuring they will wreck havoc with the car unless properly damped.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th February 2018 at 00:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 00:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Hey, do refresh, it's showing up just fine.
Can see it now. Feedback on wind noise awaited

I think the pricing is great compared to the cost of damping charged at local audio installers. I will call the local 3M tomorrow itself and inquire the cost for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why would a stock speaker need such extensive damping? Most of the stereo systems in the budget car segment (With the exception of TATA cars) have really poor audio systems. Surprised those can rattle the car.
The Digipad in the City does need one. The door pads are pretty flimsy and the speakers not that bad.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 15th February 2018 at 00:26.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 00:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Did you consider just using some damping material (or a wooden spacer?) just where the speakers are attached on the door panel? Would have most probably solved the rattle issue at a fraction of the cost.

PS - I've done damping for all doors, boot etc - but then there are two amplifiers in the boot ensuring they will wreck havoc with the car unless properly damped.
The stock setup of the Jazz is pretty decent. I am satisfied and don't think that it is poor as per my need. However, my friends do bump up the volume a fair bit and even I do engage in this for favourite tracks, at times more volume than I think is necessary. Then, I get paranoid when this is done, if the door pads will rattle due to high output on high volumes.

I did not consider any DIY here, as I had very little patience to research, and the quoted price justified me saving the time doing everything myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Can see it now. Feedback on wind noise awaited

I think the pricing is great compared to the cost of damping charged at local audio installers. I will call the local 3M tomorrow itself and inquire the cost for the city.

The Digipad in the City does need one. The door pads are pretty flimsy and the speakers not that bad.
For the City, I think it should be the same price. The City also falls in the medium category AFAIK.
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 01:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
What I meant in the earlier post is this -

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-img_20120608_120814_800.jpg

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-img_20120608_125654_800.jpg

Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions-img_20120608_132243_800.jpg

This spacer should be available with most audio shops and helps to have a vibration absorbent layer between your speaker and the door. Vibrations should mostly arise from the speaker mount points and hence this should help and cost way lesser than damping the whole door. (Unlike say - a modded system where the bass can rattle the whole car!)

Not sure if the doorpad in the city has additional space to accommodate one. But worth a try.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th February 2018 at 01:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 07:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread parrys. Thanks for posting. I was looking for more information on this 3M acoustics solution. Your thread clears most of the doubts. Some queries:

1. Does this improve the NVH inside the car like cutting wind noise, tyre noise etc?? Or is it beneficial only for audiophiles.

2. Do they sell these kits?? My city doesn't get a 3M store, so how do I get this kit?? Installation looks simple so it can be done as a DIY too.

3. What did they do to the vapour barrier?? IMO it serves a purpose and should be installed back.

Regards
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 15th February 2018 at 07:57.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 09:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Parichay,

Good to know that the Jazz got the new music set up after the recent Hypershield treatment. You now seems to be a regular at the 3M car care. Can you elaborate what you meant by an improvement in the audio quality. Also I could see a difference in the price you mentioned and one of the pic which shows the cost of the product.

I for one feel the stock music in my car itself is too loud for me since too much noise tends to distract me.
Old 15th February 2018, 09:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

For the provided materials & asking price, I feel damping sheets would provide better benefit at that price point. Absorbing material is major component of that kit & is expensive at this cost.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 10:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

The 3M packaging shows expiry date of 12 months. You need to replace this every year?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 15th February 2018 at 10:35.
jinojohnt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 13:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent! However, my only concern is that the hood can get hot. Wouldnt the adhesive lose it's stickiness after a few heat cycles? Also, will the aluminium patch be able to handle the heat?
Old 15th February 2018, 14:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Parichay,

Good to know that the Jazz got the new music set up after the recent Hypershield treatment. You now seems to be a regular at the 3M car care. Can you elaborate what you meant by an improvement in the audio quality. Also I could see a difference in the price you mentioned and one of the pic which shows the cost of the product.

I for one feel the stock music in my car itself is too loud for me since too much noise tends to distract me.
Yep, pretty much end up at 3M every fortnight for a wash. I clean my car by my self, so a foam wash once or twice a month is what I do.

Difference in price is with the taxes and stuff. Or may be their systems got updated after this was packed.
Most cars now get a decent stereo setup, so such small updates are good enough than a significant ICE upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Excellent thread parrys. Thanks for posting. I was looking for more information on this 3M acoustics solution. Your thread clears most of the doubts. Some queries:

1. Does this improve the NVH inside the car like cutting wind noise, tyre noise etc?? Or is it beneficial only for audiophiles.

2. Do they sell these kits?? My city doesn't get a 3M store, so how do I get this kit?? Installation looks simple so it can be done as a DIY too.

3. What did they do to the vapour barrier?? IMO it serves a purpose and should be installed back.

Regards
Shashi
1. Haven't really felt much of a difference in wind & tyre noise. But I haven't driven it out on the highway yet. NVH of the diesel Honda is something that Honda couldn't improve in these years. I won't compliant to 3M about this.

For reducing the tyre noise, I read that the 3M Underbody Treatment might help. I had got it done on my Verna, but that cabin was pretty silent so didn't matter much in this aspect.

2. You can buy a kit at a 3M store, I am not sure about their online services.

3. All components were fixed as is. Nothing was removed.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 21:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For reducing the tyre noise, I read that the 3M Underbody Treatment might help. I had got it done on my Verna, but that cabin was pretty silent so didn't matter much in this aspect.
3Ms underbody coating is useless. Both 5 year and 3 year warranty ones. It's just a hyped matte black paint and nothing else.

Quote:
3. All components were fixed as is. Nothing was removed
That's nice. Usually people throw away that plastic sheet during damping.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 15th February 2018 at 21:56.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 22:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, I drive a Honda Jazz i-DTEC V variant. We all know that the NVH levels on the Jazz aren't something to write home about. It drives well and all that, but the cabin noise is something that you cannot help. I can do very little about the engine noise, but, I needed better music.
Thank you for sharing your experience. A few questions:

1. Would you know about the inflammability risk of these panels/materials that 3M put in. Especially the one under the bonnet.

2. Do I assume that your audio quality has improved because the outside noise seeping into the cabin has dropped significantly?

3. Is this permanent or does it need to be replaced every 12 to 24 months.

Thank you, in advance, for your answers.

- Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 00:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. A few questions:

1. Would you know about the inflammability risk of these panels/materials that 3M put in. Especially the one under the bonnet.

2. Do I assume that your audio quality has improved because the outside noise seeping into the cabin has dropped significantly?

3. Is this permanent or does it need to be replaced every 12 to 24 months.

Thank you, in advance, for your answers.

- Narayan
1. I'm unaware about this. Will call and ask them tomorrow.

2. May be. And that the materials used are ensuring no sound output lost.

3. Permanent, no need to change anytime soon. Unless you change the door.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 10:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Should be a great addition to cars which aren't that sound proof from the factory. And damping also gives the doors a bit of weight which makes it sound nice while closing.

2 questions!
1) Does that foam thingy absorb water? Wondering what will happen if water goes inside the door during a rain or a wash.
2) Can they do this just for 2 doors? Or the tailgate alone?
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks