Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2006, 17:48   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The 15" will be a bit boomy regardless (this is theoretical, I haven't actually listened to the Hertz 15").
I've listened to a Hertz ES380 install in a ported box setup. The bass wasn't very boomy as I expected to be.
Drive it with a decent Monoblock amp like the 601.1 or a Pio 6100.

Getting clean, loud and accurate bass under 25k is not perfect!!
Either expand or do a small sacrifice somewhere!!

Wanna go for 21" like in Eklavya's Octy?
Old 18th December 2006, 20:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I've listened to a Hertz ES380 install in a ported box setup. The bass wasn't very boomy as I expected to be.
Wow! Was that saturday's Tucson install you mentioned to me today?
Old 18th December 2006, 20:46   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Wow! Was that saturday's Tucson install you mentioned to me today?
No no no no!!!
That was fitted in a Fiesta. The guy came all the way from Bangalore to Cochin just to do that install. Now, that is what I call passion and search for perfection.
Old 18th December 2006, 20:48   #34
BHPian

i know that 25k is a bit less for what i want... but already spent nearly 40k on my old car aveo set up...without knowing anything and listening to people around me ,made a mistake yaar... so now i want myself to make it very clear what i want....so this time will be coming to bangalore for anything i do...
Old 18th December 2006, 23:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hey adnan, don't worry. It's never too late to do things the right way. We've all been there. Over the past 4 years, I've installed and ripped out at least 20K worth of stuff in my car. Next week I'm taking out 17K worth of speakers and wires and putting in about 24K worth of speakers and wire instead. I chose wrong for my needs first (I didn't know what I could have done/should have done then). Now I'm fixing what I did wrong.

Try this for 25K (Will give you good bass. You can add-on to this setup for more bass later if you want):

Sub: JBL GTO 1204BR (12" sub in a ported box) -- About Rs.8.5K.
Amp: JBL GTO75.2 -- About Rs.10K
Wiring (Power & RCA) -- 3K + 1K = 4K
Install should be free if you buy all from one place.
Total = Less than 23K

Later, if you want, you can add another 1204BR and GTO75.2 or a more powerful 4ch amp like the 75.4, and drive the 2 subs from the 4-ch amp, and use the 75.2 to drive front comps.

More or less the idea is this: Whichever sub+amp combo you choose now (go for one sub and a 2ch amp to drive it), you can always add another sub later with a more powerful 4ch amp (or another of the same amp) so that you're driving 2 subs ultimately. That should do for your bass needs.
Old 19th December 2006, 14:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

adnan, I was just checking the specs of the Hertz ES380 (15" sub) and I found that the sub's sensitivity is 95dB. That means this sub is very sensitive (and efficient with power). It will perform well even with lesser input power vis-a-vis most other subs.

Considering this, I think the JBL GTO301.1 Amp (204W continuous) will give good enough output from this particular sub. (This is to correct what I mentioned in post #28). But it will not be the ideal input for this sub. You will need to actually listen to this sub + amp combination to decide.

The JBL GTO75.2 amp mentioned in my post #35 will also do the job well.

And, there was an earlier thread about a 15" Hertz install (dual 15" subs!!!) in a Sonata done-up by autopsyche. The sensitivity spec made me remember that the subs in that install were getting only about 160W RMS (continuous) each, but they reportedly were still pounding well.

But all said and done, you may not be able to fit the 15" Hertz into your budget (It will cost at least 13K -- I'm not sure of exact prices). I'd still advice going the 12" sub route, and upgrading with another sub and amp later if you feel that the bass in your car is not sufficient.
Old 19th December 2006, 14:23   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
adnan, I was just checking the specs of the Hertz ES380 (15" sub) and I found that the sub's sensitivity is 95dB...
Considering this, I think the JBL GTO301.1 Amp (204W continuous) will give good enough output from this particular sub....
The JBL GTO75.2 amp mentioned in my post #35 will also do the job well.....
Between the 75.3 and 301.1 i'd choose the later.

Sensitivity is also dependant of the type of box it is installed in. yet the 380 is a resonably sensitive sub and accurate too. only i wonder if you can fit a 301.1 and a 380 along with wires and damping in your budget.
Old 19th December 2006, 15:01   #38
BANNED

Quote:
But all said and done, you may not be able to fit the 15" Hertz into your budget (It will cost at least 13K -- I'm not sure of exact prices). I'd still advice going the 12" sub route, and upgrading with another sub and amp later if you feel that the bass in your car is not sufficient.
The ES380 retails around 12k. Add an amp that costs the same. Even a Pioneer D510 Monoblock will do I think. It gives out an RMS output of 300W. Enough for this giant to move decently I think. The cabling can be a modest one. Not a cheap juggad type but something from Tsunami likes....
The total will stay within 25k. Still the real juice from the Sub will be lacking as Hydra pointed out earlier.

Another nice option is to buy a 12" Hertz or JBL for now. Mate it to a Pioneer D510. Then later add a similar sub and a similar amp. This can be kept inside 20k!!
Old 19th December 2006, 15:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are SPL subs, so they will definitely shake your socks off. No offense to lbm, but from the rave reviews of those who've heard this setup, you might also need to pay regular visits to the dentist to make sure all your teeth are still fixed tight.
And regular visits to your ENT to make sure your ear drums are still intact & that bleeding is from somewhere else
Old 21st December 2006, 11:44   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Another nice option is to buy a 12" Hertz or JBL for now. Mate it to a Pioneer D510. Then later add a similar sub and a similar amp. This can be kept inside 20k!!
and the money saved can be spent on damping.
Old 25th December 2006, 20:02   #41
BHPian

thanks a lot for ur advices guys...for damping what exactly do they do...do they strip the door pads and all...and what r the charges...
Old 25th December 2006, 23:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

You can get Wurth or Dynamite Extreme sheets for damping. As far as i know Wurth 3x1.5 feet sheet costs approx 1200.

For more details about damping use search option.

Mugen.
Old 25th December 2006, 23:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Yep. To damp the door, the pads are removed and damping sheets (Dynamat/WURTH etc) are stuck to the inside of the door panel and the outside of the door panel (the part where the door pads go on).

Sometimes it becomes necessary to damp the boot, the floor, roof etc.,depending on the car and the vibration issues.

Full damping in a Skoda would run to about 12-15K at least. Door damping alone should get done in 4K. The Skoda has sturdy body panels and will not require extensive damping unlike most other cars. You will most likely be able to get away with damping just the doors.

More info here: Crutchfield Advisor - Vibration Damping - Installation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks