Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2006, 15:13   #1
BANNED

JBL 10 inch sub behaves funny

Hey guys ,

My Jbl 10" sub got funny . The sub suddenly stops playing and I thought it might be something to do with the connections ,but then when the sub stops playing ,I just push the cone ,its starts to play and then stops after a couple of seconds .

I thought my enclosure might be a problem and changed he enclosure as well ,but ,it seems that most of the JBl subwoofers stop playing after sometime ( thats what my installer told me ,and he is quite reputable in chennai ) .It seems that the JBl drivers have this problem and the sub which I own is just around 2 months old . I had a pio 12 inch sub ,but I thought the JBL played better and switched over to the 10inch JBL ,but alas ,the sub went dead .

Could any one suggest a place where I could get my JBL replaced ?any service centres in chennai ?
I had fought with the shop keeper who sold me the JBL sub ,so no chances of going back to him.
Old 21st December 2006, 15:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

GM2000
you should contact Sam Kapasi for details. I hope for your sake, you bought the product with bill & warranty.
Old 21st December 2006, 15:42   #3
BANNED

A sub won't just die like that easy. Especially JBL!!
You have to post some more details. Did you buy it from an authorised dealer/installer?
2 Months old? it's not at all a problem if you bought it from an authorised dealer. You get good warranty and support for JBL in India.

Speakers can also be prone to some manufacturing defects just like human beings. Some can turn out to be erratic. And that's why the manufacturers give you warranty. Sad, we humans don't have one.
Lucky you have JBL! Imagine if this would happen to your Pioneer one.
You should have dumped it or should've been in the mercy of some crooked importer.

Don't worry about what your installer has to say about JBL. Some people tend to have some sort of dislikes to some brands (I am too). And it just shows in their words. that's all. Chill!!!

Last edited by speedzak : 21st December 2006 at 15:43.
Old 21st December 2006, 15:57   #4
BHPian

brilliantly put zak bro..thats very true that it shows in the way people talk. They are quite biased sometimes but thats normal. The good thing about JBL is its a very very good comapny and they offer world class support here in india. I just hope that you have got the sub with Bill and Warranty bro.
do keep us posted on your situation too...
boom
Old 21st December 2006, 17:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

greatmana2000, if you have a B&W, you should be safe -- it has just been just 2 months since you bought the sub, right?

The guy you bought the sub from seems to be just trying to wash his hands off. I've never heard of any such problem with JBL subs. You know, it sounds very much like you did not get a B&W. Otherwise the dealer doesn't have to act to so shadily or make such sweeping incorrect statements about JBL subs.

If you have no B&W, you will need to get to the dealer again and use some real persuasion and get the sub replaced by the dealer himself. Nobody at JBL will be able to help you with a replacement.

Where exactly did you buy the sub from?

This is the JBL distributor for Chennai (from the JBL website):
Mr. Shridhar
C A T S
S-2, K.G.Plaza, #41, G.P.Road, Chennai 02.
(+91 44)2852 2976, 5202 2976
catsmas@vsnl.net

Try giving him a call or pay him a visit. He should be able to help you.
Old 21st December 2006, 17:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Hey guys ,

My Jbl 10" sub got funny . The sub suddenly stops playing and I thought it might be something to do with the connections ,but then when the sub stops playing ,I just push the cone ,its starts to play and then stops after a couple of seconds .
I think you have pushed you sub more than the limit it can play....from the way you are saying that will pushing it plays and then stop I thing there is some break in the wire leads from the terminal to the Voice coil......
Old 21st December 2006, 19:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Speakers can also be prone to some manufacturing defects just like human beings. Some can turn out to be erratic. And that's why the manufacturers give you warranty. Sad, we humans don't have one.
Imagine parents trying to replace their kid just because they started to act cranky

Why did the installer suggest that you change the enclosure for this problem in the 1st place?? Btw what enclosure did you have and what did you change it to
Old 21st December 2006, 19:52   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh View Post

Why did the installer suggest that you change the enclosure for this problem in the 1st place?? Btw what enclosure did you have and what did you change it to
Whatever it is! The installer who suggested this as the solution to his problem is not worthy of being called as a good installer in my eyes!

My suggestion is to change the installer also with the sub!!
Old 21st December 2006, 20:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000
My Jbl 10" sub got funny .
Sounds like a classic symptom of spending too much time with Sam. Rubs off, I guess.

Quote:
The sub suddenly stops playing and I thought it might be something to do with the connections ,but then when the sub stops playing ,I just push the cone ,its starts to play and then stops after a couple of seconds .
This happens sometimes when the tinsel lead joint with the voice coil is weakened. Tinsel lead is the braided wire running from the sub's terminal to some juncture at the cone, usually under the dust cap. This cannot be easily fixed without removing the dust cap, and examining the faulty joint.

Quote:
I thought my enclosure might be a problem and changed he enclosure as well ,but ,it seems that most of the JBl subwoofers stop playing after sometime ( thats what my installer told me ,and he is quite reputable in chennai ) .
I don't see how the enclosure could be causing this.

Quote:
It seems that the JBl drivers have this problem and the sub which I own is just around 2 months old . I had a pio 12 inch sub ,but I thought the JBL played better and switched over to the 10inch JBL ,but alas ,the sub went dead .
The possible cause could be exceeding the mechanical limits, even momentarily. Most drivers (including this one) are not over-engineered and even moderate torture can cause them to fail. It is not a manufacturing defect. It's just a more practical Factor Of Safety, meant for practical usage, and cost effectiveness.

Quote:
I had fought with the shop keeper who sold me the JBL sub ,so no chances of going back to him.
Done it once, do it again! It's his obligation to provide you with warranty services if he sold you the sub whether he likes you or not (or vice versa). Secondly, I am not sure whether the sub actually falls under the purview of warranty considerations. This can be evaluated by the brand representatives only.
Old 22nd December 2006, 11:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

GM, if you have a B&W I am sure Sam K will help.

Like Bass and Trouble said it most probably is the tinsel leads. I dont know about Chennai but in Mumbai there are a few people (they are getting rarer) that can repair this even if the sub is not in warranty. Actually (while I dont recommend you doing this at home) it is not so diffuclt. You need a steaady hand, an exacto knife and a soldering iron and you can even do this. as long as you not dislodge the voice coil or tear the cone/dust cap (hence the steady hand) you can have the sub as good as new.
Old 22nd December 2006, 16:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

greatmana, exactly where did you get the jbl sub from. that info could benefit others in this forum
Old 23rd December 2006, 10:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

11 comments later... no word on the sub. lol.

I agree, the sub has probably been pushed over it's mechanical limit. And it is the leads. If it's under warranty, you should be taken care of, no problem.
Old 25th December 2006, 03:20   #13
BHPian

hey!! even i am facing a similar problem.. I got 2 15" GT4-15. Dunno why one of the subs stopped working.

I hope that it a connection problem....

Though help me out with this.....i am playing the two woofers with one GT0-601.1 mono amp. One woofer is working fine but the other one is stopped. Could this problem anyway related to the amp?

I mean can such a problem arize in a mono amp where one of the one sub is playing and other one not...

Well, anyways tomorrow i am going to my installer to check out the problem... I seriously hope that the amp dosent have any problem. Its 20k yaar.
Old 25th December 2006, 08:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

amit, I don't think the problem likely to be with the amp at all. If one sub is working, that means the problem is somewhere between the amp and the sub that is not working: the wire, the points of connection, or the sub itself.

Best check first if any of the speaker-wire connections -- from the amp and to/on the sub -- have gotten broken. If that is not the problem, then I think you'll need to get your sub repaired.
Old 25th December 2006, 09:54   #15
BHPian

Your amplifier is fine. Check the connections at amplifier, terminal cup on box (if any) and subwoofer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks