Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2018, 01:50   #16
BHPian

re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

I had a similar dilemma recently when I visited the BMW showroom to inquire about the 3-Series. At a price point of 45 Lakhs+ they still don't offer most of the features that you can get in a car thats 1/3rd the cost. That is just absurd in my books. And after owning the previous gen (E90) 3-series, and going through some of the issues over the years, I wonder if its truly worth that premium?
Palaver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 14:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Thanks GTO. Car review will be posted shortly as well after my business travel.

The best solution for Android phones is mirroring. There is a company "Bimmer tech" that provides that solution. Little bit of DIY involved. There is no official BMW solution for Android though.
You may want to try beta ios12 on a spare Iphone if available. Google Maps and Waze will now be supported on Carplay

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/04/...gle-maps-waze/
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 15:43   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You may want to try beta ios12 on a spare Iphone if available. Google Maps and Waze will now be supported on Carplay

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/04/...gle-maps-waze/
That is great news!

I have a doubt. If Google Maps is supported in CarPlay and if CarPlay is enabled in iDrive, will the navigation information be shown on the HUD and the instrument cluster? Or will it be available only on the iDrive display?
Old 5th June 2018, 16:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is great news!

I have a doubt. If Google Maps is supported in CarPlay and if CarPlay is enabled in iDrive, will the navigation information be shown on the HUD and the instrument cluster? Or will it be available only on the iDrive display?
Might be possible but at this time I don't have any BMW equipped with Carplay or an Iphone with ios12

As per this thread, it appears Apple maps can be beamed to HUD if I am reading correctly so hopefully maps will get similar support

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1391122
Old 6th June 2018, 01:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is great news!

Well, the last time I visited BMW showroom, the customer representative informed me, that they don't support Google maps. Intact they use some other navigation ( I can't recall which one) but also admitted that it wasn't that accurate. So that pretty much made me run out of there as soon as I could. After all thesedays if I buy a new car, I expect atleast this much from it.
Old 6th June 2018, 03:59   #21
BHPian

BMW has no play in CarPlay. In India apple does not support google maps for CarPlay, now this may change with forthcoming release as Turbanator pointed out.
Old 6th June 2018, 11:02   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Well, the last time I visited BMW showroom, the customer representative informed me, that they don't support Google maps.
Quote:
BMW has no play in CarPlay. In India apple does not support google maps for CarPlay, now this may change with forthcoming release as Turbanator pointed out.
Correct, just that Apple does not support google maps anywhere as of now but things will change after ios12 which we should get around September. The good thing about BMW - Apple car play is that we can do a wireless connection whereas in all other cars it has to be via leads.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 23:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Correct, just that Apple does not support google maps anywhere as of now but things will change after ios12 which we should get around September. The good thing about BMW - Apple car play is that we can do a wireless connection whereas in all other cars it has to be via leads.
Thanks for correcting. I meant Apple maps and other maps application in India. I agree that Google map is not available on CarPlay anywhere in the world.
Old 7th June 2018, 00:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for correcting. I meant Apple maps and other maps application in India. I agree that Google map is not available on CarPlay anywhere in the world.

iOS 12 beta is already out and I believe if you get your iPhone on the developer preview you should be able to get google maps working on your CarPlay enables BMW. Considering the effort you put in to get CarPlay activated on your car this should be much easier and shall finally address CarPlay's biggest shortcoming. Google maps are so so much better then the Apple maps.
Old 7th June 2018, 00:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
iOS 12 beta is already out and I believe if you get your iPhone on the developer preview you should be able to get google maps working on your CarPlay enables BMW. Considering the effort you put in to get CarPlay activated on your car this should be much easier and shall finally address CarPlay's biggest shortcoming. Google maps are so so much better then the Apple maps.

Thanks. On a business travel hopping the globe. Will try when I am back end of June.
Old 7th June 2018, 08:43   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Yes but currently it’s available only to paid developers (100$), it should come as a public beta later this month.

But don’t use the main phone to try the beta especially so early during the launch phase, try only on the spare iphone if available. It will be all buggy in the beginning especially with most of the apps (other than Apple)

Here's a new thread on the subject

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ming-soon.html

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th June 2018 at 08:58.
Old 14th August 2018, 15:52   #27
BHPian

I have a new BMW 530D M sport (G30) that i bought in October '17. Sadly according to my car's VIN apple CarPlay is not built in and hence can't be added on like you did. BMW India only began offering it in cars delivered after Jan 18. Serves me right to rush and buy one as soon as it was launched.
Old 14th August 2018, 16:41   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I have a new BMW 530D M sport (G30) that i bought in October '17. Sadly according to my car's VIN apple CarPlay is not built in and hence can't be added on like you did. BMW India only began offering it in cars delivered after Jan 18. Serves me right to rush and buy one as soon as it was launched.
I think you can still pay and change as the one on new 530-D is the touchscreen. Check the details in the opening post.
Old 14th August 2018, 17:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I think you can still pay and change as the one on new 530-D is the touchscreen. Check the details in the opening post.
Yes it does say compatible with 5 series cars from 17 - 18. I wanted to mail them my vin just to be sure but no contact information is available. Their contact page link seems to be broken.

Also was just wondering what if the company upgrades the car software during a routine service. Will it still work?

This seems to be a bit like hacking into the cars system and performing a jailbreak
Old 14th August 2018, 17:59   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Also was just wondering what if the company upgrades the car software during a routine service. Will it still work?

This seems to be a bit like hacking into the cars system and performing a jailbreak
Yes. This is exactly hacking into the car's software and is similar to jailbreak. If BMW releases some firmware update to the system, there are two possible scenarios.

1. The firmware update will overwrite the hack and CarPlay may stop working. You will have to check with the vendor what should be done under this situation - reinstall using the same software vendor provided or will the vendor provide a new update.
2. Because of the hacked software, BMW's software update will not work, and BMW will probably void warranty for the system. Check out the below post where another member has shared an experience where BMW refused warranty due to some software hack.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ml#post4420129

This software hack may be fine a few years into the ownership. But for a new car, I would stay away from messing with the OE software

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks