Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2018, 17:23   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have asked the service manager at my dealership to check this. Do you have any other contact at your dealership who can verify my VIN and tell if it is possible to do this upgrade?
I got this information from a very senior sales person. Have dropped a message to check the procedure and meanwhile asked my service guy who apparently has no clue

He has asked time till Monday. I hope the information is correct else it will be really stupid of me

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th December 2018 at 17:25.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 10:41   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
He has asked time till Monday. I hope the information is correct else it will be really stupid of me
Hope this information turns to be true. Fingers crossed
Old 31st December 2018, 12:34   #78
Team-BHP Support

Re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Quote:
Hope this information turns to be true. Fingers crossed
BMW India and local dealerships are closed today. Please send me your VIN, I will forward to the dealership and get you an answer in a day or so. Hope it works.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:36   #79
Team-BHP Support

Update

Turns out to be a local dealer level initiative using the third party. Can ignore earlier posts.

Regrets for the goof up.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:16   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update

Turns out to be a local dealer level initiative using the third party. Can ignore earlier posts.

Regrets for the goof up.

Thanks for clarifying. Personally I thought 90k was an astronomical amount for enabling this. Whether from dealer or BMW India.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 15:08   #81
BHPian

So i was just browsing around the BMW website to see if there is any firmware update available and I found one at this link: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Has anyone tried updating their G30 software? Also will the 'unofficial" CarPlay continue to work if I update. Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 28th January 2019, 18:26   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BMW India to Officially Enable Apple CarPlay at a Charge.

I understand we can now officially get Car Play activated from BMW Dealerships at a payment of around 90,000. This is possible on most of touchscreen iDrive based models, and perhaps one generation earlier but I am not sure completely. You can get VIN checked for this upgrade from the dealership.
This is really amusing, something which in today's context in India itself is a features available in most hatchbacks, commands a premium of ~1 lac in a beamer. This purely seems like since a beamer owner is spending 50lacs min on a car, he can surely afford another 1 lac for getting car play. In my view beamer should have just offered a free upgrade as a show of good faith to its customer and not try to milk them more.
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:05   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
This is really amusing, something which in today's context in India itself is a features available in most hatchbacks, commands a premium of ~1 lac in a beamer. This purely seems like since a beamer owner is spending 50lacs min on a car, he can surely afford another 1 lac for getting car play. In my view beamer should have just offered a free upgrade as a show of good faith to its customer and not try to milk them more.
Completely agree.
Infact, even this paid option is not available officially. I guess this 90k was quoted by someone unofficially.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:20   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Completely agree.
Infact, even this paid option is not available officially. I guess this 90k was quoted by someone unofficially.
Yes. The 90k is not official BMW offer. It is unoffially done by a dealer.
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:58   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I have received the antenna from AliExpress - reached within 2 weeks. Now waiting for the cable to arrive.
dear @graaja,

Came across this video today. It shows installation of the wifi antennae.

1) Is the wifi antennae in this video different from the one you bought?
2) Did you finally install the antennae and enable car play?
Old 4th February 2019, 05:33   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
dear @graaja,

1) Is the wifi antennae in this video different from the one you bought?
2) Did you finally install the antennae and enable car play?
The antenna I got is slightly different on the antenna side - it is a little bigger than one in the video. The connector that goes to the HU is the same.

I have not yet installed the antenna or enabled CarPlay. Still trying to get the dealer to do the installation. Due to lot of work related travel, have not been able to go and meet the service manager. Will discuss this when I visit for the 2nd oil service this week.
Old 6th February 2019, 13:10   #87

Hey! Just found this amazing thread

I was wondering if CarPlay can also be enabled in the F30 3 series? Mine is a 2018 model. The above links don't work so I googled and found this which prices it at $120 and confirms that 2017-18 models of the 3 series are, in fact, compatible! That's a VERY cheap price to pay I believe and I'd love to get it, if all it requires is a 60 second USB install with no hardware fuddling. Mine does not have a touch screen though, if that's a requirement. Their VIN checker is returning an error, shooting them an email right away. But I wonder if they have any incentive at all to say that it's not compatible
Old 7th February 2019, 18:57   #88

I got a response on their livechat saying that its not possible on 6.5" screens, only 8.8" screens.
Secondly, they did say that they have had customers from India, for CarPlay in 3 series.
Thirdly, did some reading on bimmerpost to find out that a firmware update will remove CarPlay, and using the same USB will not work again; a new FSC code would be required from the seller.
anantc93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 10:22   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
@graaja : I had actually been meaning to ask you if you got around to activating CarPlay

- My understanding is that even during a central server diagnostic/ update, the only possible risk of detection is if you modify the vehicle order (FO) as it will be an upfront reconciliation break .

If however you modify only a couple of setting flags (which is all you need to do for this), it’s a change on a few flags amongst thousands. Add the fact that these flags don’t have a standard baseline to compare against (because these flags also change based on other user modifiable settings you change)
Thus it’s almost impossible for an automated process to detect a modification unless a technician with a vendetta against you goes manually digging
Hi abhi182,

I am slowly getting there. Right now, I am going through all documentation on E-Sys.

As you mentioned, I am not worried about enabling features that need only a flag change. Unless BMW has stored the baseline files for all the ECUs, this is not possible to detect.

However, a VO change will be definitely detected and can raise a flag while hooked to the server. And CarPlay activation needs a VO change.

From the E-Sys documentation, I see that we can read the original FA from the car and save it as a backup. Same can be done for the CAFD files as well for each ECU. Before taking the car to the dealer, we can just restore the original files which should be fine. So, before I start changing anything, I plan to backup all the CAFD files and the FA configuration.

There are a few snags that I need to figure out.

1. The E-Sys launcher premium that was provided by TokenMaster has expired on 12th December. The only option is to get the Pro version which needs a donation of 50$ to a charity. However, from the posts from various users, it seems TokenMaster has stopped responding and many have made donations and have not received the launcher key. Found another option EsysX. I have sent EUR100 to their PayPal account and waiting for the software link.
2. Need to figure out the FSC code. I have sent a PM to BMWDriva and Chang2 in the Car Technology Forum. Waiting for a response.
3. I see various discussions on fake FSCs, original FSCs, patches, some comments that mixing fake FSCs with OEM FSCs can be a problem, etc. Unlike the E-Sys FA coding which has lot of documentation, there is very less documentation on adding FSC. Maybe Chang2 or BMWDriva will give some pointers there.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 11:22   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Hi abhi182,

I am slowly getting there. Right now, I am going through all documentation on E-Sys.

As you mentioned, I am not worried about enabling features that need only a flag change. Unless BMW has stored the baseline files for all the ECUs, this is not possible to detect.

However, a VO change will be definitely detected and can raise a flag while hooked to the server. And CarPlay activation needs a VO change.

From the E-Sys documentation, I see that we can read the original FA from the car and save it as a backup. Same can be done for the CAFD files as well for each ECU. Before taking the car to the dealer, we can just restore the original files which should be fine. So, before I start changing anything, I plan to backup all the CAFD files and the FA configuration.

There are a few snags that I need to figure out.

1. The E-Sys launcher premium that was provided by TokenMaster has expired on 12th December. The only option is to get the Pro version which needs a donation of 50$ to a charity. However, from the posts from various users, it seems TokenMaster has stopped responding and many have made donations and have not received the launcher key. Found another option EsysX. I have sent EUR100 to their PayPal account and waiting for the software link.
2. Need to figure out the FSC code. I have sent a PM to BMWDriva and Chang2 in the Car Technology Forum. Waiting for a response.
3. I see various discussions on fake FSCs, original FSCs, patches, some comments that mixing fake FSCs with OEM FSCs can be a problem, etc. Unlike the E-Sys FA coding which has lot of documentation, there is very less documentation on adding FSC. Maybe Chang2 or BMWDriva will give some pointers there.
Here is the thing - you don't need to change the VO to activate CarPlay (which is what I was trying to point to in my previous post)
The VO is essentially just an identifier and a baseline for multiple flags - From a coding perspective, it's like a template you can use for mass modifications in a single shot ..e.g. if you are changing the head unit or replacing an ECU

However to simply activate CarPlay (assuming you have added the license key already), all you need to do is change 2 flags manually on your HU (HU_NBT2)

CARPLAY_SWT => aktiv
APPLE_ENHANCEMENTS-> aktiv

You don't have to touch the FA/VO at all

As for e-sys and license , wish you had PMd me - I got my lic key for 50EUR and e-sys premium for 20gbp from a user called dconer on car technology boards
Communication issues in English aside, I have no reason to complain about the discussion/transaction

PS: FWIW, apple maps too now has traffic overlay.. The traffic info is not as good as gmaps but on the other hand gmaps tends to slow down CarPlay interface
As for CarPlay itself, one of the best 3500 INR I have spent - It gets full time usage and I can't remember the last time I fell back on the BMW OS other than vehicle settings

Last edited by abhi182 : 15th February 2019 at 11:24.
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks