Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2019, 22:31   #106
BHPian

Re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Update.

I had to go out of town for a few days and got back today.

My driver went and picked up the car while I was away and Apple Car Play is working.

However, I am quite disappointed with the poor knowledge of the BMW service staff. I say this because they have not installed the Wifi antennae. As a result, Apple CarPlay works only when the phone is kept over the ash tray, right under the entertainment console. They themselves could not test apple car Play with their iPhones.

Here are some photos.

While I have not played much with the setting yet, I have two questions:

1) How to get CarPlay to work full screen? Currently the screen is split into two parts - 60% CarPlay and 40% iDrive. Can I ask BMW guys to do something?

2) Will iPhone 5 also work? (My son is keen to connect his phone - iPhone 5 as well)

NEXT I will need to go back to service station and ask them to complete the job.

I am happy to see CarPlay work but sad that again BMW service station has not completed the task properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade-img_8656.jpg  

Last edited by aseemsood : 29th September 2019 at 22:34.
aseemsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 22:41   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Update.

I had to go out of town for a few days and got back today.

My driver went and picked up the car while I was away and Apple Car Play is working.

However, I am quite disappointed with the poor knowledge of the BMW service staff. I say this because they have not installed the Wifi antennae. As a result, Apple CarPlay works only when the phone is kept over the ash tray, right under the entertainment console. They themselves could not test apple car Play with their iPhones.

Here are some photos.

While I have not played much with the setting yet, I have two questions:

1) How to get CarPlay to work full screen? Currently the screen is split into two parts - 60% CarPlay and 40% iDrive. Can I ask BMW guys to do something?

2) Will iPhone 5 also work? (My son is keen to connect his phone - iPhone 5 as well)

NEXT I will need to go back to service station and ask them to complete the job.

I am happy to see CarPlay work but sad that again BMW service station has not completed the task properly.
As far as I know, full screen will require modding that BMW service centres will obviously not welcome. This has been detailed very well in Graaja's thread too. Same goes for the antenna. You will have to pay them to get it installed I guess, as 40K sounds too good for the antenna and apple carplay especially from Stingy BMW

Here's the link to Graaja's thread where you will get all the answers you are looking for:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...w-3gt-f34.html (Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34))
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 05:55   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update.

Apple Car Play is working.

Good to see Apple CarPlay working in the car. Though the missing WiFi antenna is an irritant, I think the service center should get this done as well without much delay. The best part is you got it working without having to worry about any warranty

Regarding your questions:

1. For some reason BMW officially does not provide a full screen CarPlay. This is also an option that is unlocked by the third party installers. I asked the installer if it is possible to switch between full screen and split screen using some flag, he said this is a one time programmable option that needs some FSC code. I doubt BMW would do full screen. I would suggest you enjoy this as it is.
2. I am not sure about this as I am new to iPhone stuff. But if the OS version installed in iPhone 5 supports CarPlay, then it should work with the car. Best way to find is to try pairing it with the car and see if it pairs.

EDIT: You could also ask about CarPlay and iPhone 5 in the iPhone thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ne-thread.html (The iPhone Thread)

Last edited by graaja : 30th September 2019 at 06:01.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 08:34   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apple CarPlay works only when the phone is kept over the ash tray, right under the entertainment console.
1) How to get CarPlay to work full screen?
So the one-month timeline turns into a week They can easily order the wifi antenna as others have pointed out. I will try to find the part, Chandigarh Dealership had mentioned the same on the Quote but didn't charge as my car had one. Its. not expensive around 4000 or so.

No, you cannot use full screen but after a while, you will get used to it so nothing to fret about. Iphone 5 should support the CarPlay.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 10:54   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Here's the link to Graaja's thread where you will get all the answers you are looking for:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...w-3gt-f34.html (Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34))
Thanks @Vishy76 for reminding me of this thread. It's an awesome thread and I loved reading it first time as well. Can't thank @graaja enough for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Good to see Apple CarPlay working in the car. Though the missing WiFi antenna is an irritant, I think the service center should get this done as well without much delay.
Thanks @graaja.
I took the car to service centre first thing today morning and met with the technician who installed carplay on the car. He says:
(1) wifi antennae is already there in your car.
(2) he will need to re-check why I am facing connectivity issue (as soon as I take the phone away from the console music gets disconnected when I am playing it via CarPlay). His guess is that the antennae installed in my car is not working properly. He even showed me a picture of what that antennae looks like. It was just like a regular cable without any device or plastic antennae, just had a connector on one end of the cable. He says that one end of the antennae cable is connected behind the console and then cable is taken till the back seat via the console in the middle.

I will only be able to leave the car with dealership next week as this is a busy week for me with some outstation travel where I will take the car. Shall update once I do so.

I shall also play with iPhone 5 to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So the one-month timeline turns into a week They can easily order the wifi antenna as others have pointed out.
No, you cannot use full screen but after a while, you will get used to it so nothing to fret about. Iphone 5 should support the CarPlay.
Thanks @Turbanator.
I was also surprised that they came back within a week after asking for a month. Seems, since CarPlay is a new install for them, the systems are not properly set.

I agree with you on split screen issue. I also expect to get used it soon.
aseemsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 17:09   #111
BHPian

Quote:
I took the car to service centre first thing today morning and met with the technician who installed carplay on the car. He says:
(1) wifi antennae is already there in your car.
(2) he will need to re-check why I am facing connectivity issue (as soon as I take the phone away from the console music gets disconnected when I am playing it via CarPlay). His guess is that the antennae installed in my car is not working properly. He even showed me a picture of what that antennae looks like. It was just like a regular cable without any device or plastic antennae, just had a connector on one end of the cable. He says that one end of the antennae cable is connected behind the console and then cable is taken till the back seat via the console in the middle.

I will only be able to leave the car with dealership next week as this is a busy week for me with some outstation travel where I will take the car. Shall update once I do so.

UPDATE

I called Service Station on Friday. They confirmed that they had organised a new wifi antennae cable; in case the antennae in my car is found to be faulty.

Took my car to service station to service station on Saturday morning. They confirmed:
a) that my car (Oct 2017 Manufacturing date) already has a wifi antennae and;
b) that it is not functioning.

They replaced the same with the new antennae and now apple car play is working wirelessly on the back seat also.

This replacement was done in warranty so I did not have to pay any money for the replacement.

Also asked them about full screen option but they said they cannot help with that. I am sure that I will get used to it and its completely functional.

Thank you all.

Tested iPhone 5 also and it works flawlessly. :-) My son is also happy.
aseemsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 17:49   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi, can you post some pictures of how Google maps looks on the screen? Also, in the picture you had uploaded in your post, the screen is split. In the line that splits the screen, there is a small notch which looks like it may extend the CarPlay screen to the full screen. I have marked this with the yellow box below. Does this notch remove the split screen and makes CarPlay full screen?

Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade-carplay.png
Old 5th November 2019, 01:21   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, can you post some pictures of how Google maps looks on the screen? Also, in the picture you had uploaded in your post, the screen is split. In the line that splits the screen, there is a small notch which looks like it may extend the CarPlay screen to the full screen. I have marked this with the yellow box below. Does this notch remove the split screen and makes CarPlay full screen?
Good observation. I did not notice that.

I shall certainly check and revert but may take time till Nov 15 as I am currently of the country and back in India on Nov 14.
Old 12th November 2019, 13:10   #114

Hey guys,
I have a G30 530D manufacturing year Oct 2017. BMW service centre claims that i need to install a wifi antenna to activate carplay. They quoted around 53K in total for the antenna and all the work. I am not going to pay 53K for carplay . I am perfectly happy with the idrive.

Is there a way to know if the wifi antenna is installed and not functioning??

I doubt the service centre has any clarity regarding this issue
Attached Thumbnails
Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade-bmw-carplay.png  

Old 12th November 2019, 13:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahen_dastur View Post

The only way you'll know is by removing the head unit. Also, the labor charges shouldn't be more than 5k, 15k is way too much!!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th November 2019 at 15:00. Reason: Typo edited
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 16:15   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Good observation. I did not notice that.

I shall certainly check and revert but may take time till Nov 15 as I am currently of the country and back in India on Nov 14.
Nope! Even when you close the tab, the Apple carplay does not become full screen. Instead, it just shows a blacked out portion with the words Apple CarPlay written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahen_dastur View Post
Hey guys,
I have a G30 530D manufacturing year Oct 2017. BMW service centre claims that i need to install a wifi antenna to activate carplay. They quoted around 53K in total for the antenna and all the work. I am not going to pay 53K for carplay . I am perfectly happy with the idrive.

The service centre is trying to scam you. The wifi antenna is already built in. My car is also October 2017 and it works flawlessly. I got the CarPlay installed unofficially for around $100. The only problem is I have been told not to update the car's software.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 17:14   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Graaja,

Apologies for a really delayed response. Was extremely tied up once I got back to India.

The first image below is how Google Maps looks on the screen. (This is a picture taken using the phone camera).

If I take a screenshot then, in addition to what's on my iPhone screen, the car screen view is also saved on the phone. See the next two pics below. The one in landscape is car screen and portrait is what is displayed on the phone while navigation is switched ON on Google maps.

The last image is again taken using Screenshot option. It shows the destination that I entered on google maps on my phone.

Regarding the small Notch. If I click on it, then the split screen disappears and is replaced with black background with text saying "Connected to Aseem's iPhone". The size of the google maps window stays the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade-img_2792.jpg  

Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade-img_2788.png  

Attached Images

Old 28th December 2019, 10:29   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apologies for a really delayed response. Was extremely tied up once I got back to India.

The first image below is how Google Maps looks on the screen. (This is a picture taken using the phone camera).
No problem at all

Thank you so much for sharing the picture. I think the split screen looks good as well. It has the added advantage of showing additional info like trip details in the split screen. This is better than having the maps occupying full screen.
Old 16th March 2020, 17:44   #119
BHPian

I've got a BMW x5 f15 2018 August model PDE. It's got touch screen after reading this thread I thought to add Apple car play function officially . I enquired with Kun Motors Chennai for the official upgrade but they are saying it's not available for my model. Any suggestions and alternatives. Thanks in advance.
Old 17th March 2020, 08:27   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekanand005 View Post
I've got a BMW x5 f15 2018 August model PDE. It's got touch screen after reading this thread I thought to add Apple car play function officially . I enquired with Kun Motors Chennai for the official upgrade but they are saying it's not available for my model. Any suggestions and alternatives. Thanks in advance.
Get it coded, I think yours already has the hardware present for it. You could get it off people on bimmerpost forums or eBay or something like https://easyusbcoding.com/products/b...lay-activation
nigr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks