Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 21:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo's next-gen Sensus ICE to get embedded Google Services

Volvo Cars has announced that its next-gen Sensus infotainment system will be based on Google's Android operating system. It will also have integrated Google services including Google Assistant, Google Play Store and Google Maps. Volvo intends to launch the new infotainment system in a couple of years from now.

Volvo's next-gen Sensus ICE to get embedded Google Services-volvo.jpg

Volvo Cars is currently working with Google to develop apps and services for its cars. Google Play Store will also be accessible via the new infotainment system, which will enable users to download additional apps. Much like an Android based smartphone, the infotainment system will receive regular software updates.

Google Assistant will allow users to control in-car functions like air-conditioning, operate apps, send messages and play music via voice commands, while Google Maps will provide the map and traffic data in real time. It will update the driver about upcoming traffic conditions and proactively suggest alternative routes.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 8th May 2018 at 21:36.
TusharK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 09:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvo's next-gen Sensus ICE to get embedded Google Services

Can these new age entertainment systems embed the much needed security against car theft?

If such equipment is integral part of car and the way we are being monitored by Google; why my car cannot be made safe / theft proof?
Old 9th May 2018, 14:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Can these new age entertainment systems embed the much needed security against car theft?

If such equipment is integral part of car and the way we are being monitored by Google; why my car cannot be made safe / theft proof?
I think it has to do with integration with local law enforcement. If someone breaks into the car, it should be able to send an emergency response alert. This would be hard to do on a country-wise basis, and of course such services are non existent in India. For the rest, I figure if it runs Android like any other device, you should be able to install 'find my phone' or similar feature to track it.

As an aside - I would rather prefer the existing Android Auto that simply mirrors your smartphone on the screen. Your phone will any day get updates faster than a car, given that people keep cars a lot longer than phones. For the same reason I would not buy a smart TV and instead just stream to it from my Android device. Lack of prompt security updates for a device that's been abandoned by the manufacturer opens it up to exploits, so better not to 'smart'-ify appliances that have a longer usage life than the average phone.
Old 9th May 2018, 17:23   #4
BHPian

So does that mean no Apple Carplay?

Surely Google will have an issue with that, considering the whole platform is built on Google. Not to mention the user experience when one tries to use an Apple iPhone with this new system.
Old 9th May 2018, 20:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Here is an answer to your question.

Last edited by mjumrani : 9th May 2018 at 20:20. Reason: Fixed typo.
mjumrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 17:45   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This had to happen. Was just a matter of time. Now wait for the battle for in-car supremacy to begin between Google & Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
No chance. The iPhone remains the phone of choice for rich folk and there is no way that Volvo will isolate them.

Quote:
Surely Google will have an issue with that
Google will be pleased as an OEM supplier; it's Apple who'll have an issue.

Most Viewed