Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2006, 22:55   #1
BHPian

Sony is the best ICE in the ratings. (i am not considering bose)

Smarthouse - Industry
I was wondering whether we are getting the best sony models in India? Also, Does anybody on Team-BHP have a BOSE ICE? I called up BOSE and they told me that they do only factory fittings as they are very specific about quality and after-market fittings will spoil their brand image .
Old 25th December 2006, 23:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

The mass market is with Sony. Let's face it, most people just need some sound in the car as background music. They don't much care about how good it sounds or how clear it sounds. Sony rules that demographic. Snazzy shapes and colours seal the deal for them.

Bose is well... overhyped. They have a good marketing team and it sure shows. When the Sony dude wants a few steps up he'd fantasize about a Bose system.

You're right, Bose does OEM only. For people who are used to Sonys or the crappy factory system in their earlier car, Bose would be heaven. And I do believe they do a pretty OK job with a factory system at that. But, if somebody could tell the owner how much money went into his/her "premium" factory system, and if he spends exactly that much money in the aftermarket on good equipment and install, he would never go back to Bose.

And, if the survey also showed the percentage of people who actually upgrade their factory system, I'm sure their percentage would be minuscule.

And as far as OEM systems go, Bose does rule the roost in popularity. Nothing compares. Except probably Infinity (the sound quality of which would most likely kick Bose's @$$ to the factory-floor and back).

The reason these surveys give results like this is that majority of respondents for the surveys are average joes on the road, and not true-blue audio enthusiasts. And for them (the respondents), Sony and Bose rule (marketing hype actually works).

If the research people try taking a survey in a proper car-audio forum or something where people know real car audio, the results would be different.

But then as far as the companies are concerned, their money comes from the mass market, and that is what they want measured when they commission a survey.

Summary: The strongest audio brand need not be the best sounding. But hats off to the people (Marketing & Advtg.) who weave the magic that makes a mediocre-sounding, psychoacoustics-pushing speaker company look like the best to the mass market.
Old 26th December 2006, 00:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Summary: The strongest audio brand need not be the best sounding. But hats off to the people (Marketing & Advtg.) who weave the magic that makes a mediocre-sounding, psychoacoustics-pushing speaker company look like the best to the mass market.
What more can I say.... Hydra is spot on (as usual)...
Old 26th December 2006, 01:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Stig sir which stuff do you have installed in your car..........
Old 26th December 2006, 01:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Superbly put hydrasok....

But then, we should also remember that not all of the car drivers are audiophiles. Most of them dont need or want a high end system.
Old 26th December 2006, 02:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

lol hydra sony isnt that bad at all.. their HU's pretty much imporved speakers need much improvement, components (i wont say lol)... but overall its VFM for people.. Atleast they get 2 years warranty.......

Though i have only listened to SONY, PIO, KENWOOD and JBL.... (for car ICE)
Old 26th December 2006, 08:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Actually if you see pioneer also is a leading brand. the only problem they have in india is the lack of support.
Even then Pioneer must be the second behind Sony.
Pioneer HU are nice their speakers are also ok but only the top end ones not the lower end.
They have also started the marketing with ridiculous 5-way speakers and 440W PMPO.

But yeah as hydra said marketing magic.
Old 26th December 2006, 10:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Stig sir which stuff do you have installed in your car..........

I have a sony xplod installed in my car....well i even used to think that sony was the best....but after listening to PIONEER.....and after my DSC-T1 broke my heart....i realize just brand power doesnot make good things.....and after joining team-bhp...ab kya kahoon...aap logon ne tou meri aankhen hi khol di...
Old 26th December 2006, 11:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Here, though not exactly pertinent to car audio, here is a link that will open those babies a little wider..

intellexual net · m k i v
Old 26th December 2006, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Here, though not exactly pertinent to car audio, here is a link that will open those babies a little wider..

intellexual net · m k i v
Hey Sam , thanks for the info . Sadly I belong to the so called " blindingly believing in bose " , Infact I was really impressed by their wave radio , especially when I came to know about the technology . Another aspect is advertising . When they launched wave radio I had promptly requested them for a brouchure through net , any way the point is I got 2 brochures delivered to me within 2 weeks from US of A. And after reading the whole thing , I was really impressed . Now after reading Sam bhai's info, guess its time to do some active research.

Last edited by maxbhp : 26th December 2006 at 12:14.
Old 26th December 2006, 13:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Before this Bose bashing gets any rougher....

Much of Bose's research involves Psychoacoustics or How the human ear percieves sound and how the brain analyses this information. The trouble I think is that Bose did not account for the variety of human ears and brains involved.

Else where on this forum we have disccussed how each of have our own listening preferences and how these preferences can affect our judgement. Bose primary research fails to account for this. They believe (and expect us to believe as well) that the human ear can be tricked. In some respects they might be right - the human ear-brain can be tricked however to what extent is open to debate.

As one listens more one begins to notice what makes a loudspeaker sound congested (this is one area I believe Bose fails most miserably) and lumpy (I have not heard a Bose subwoofer other than the Pro series 802 that was not lumpy) and other such attributes.

Bose has ridden a few very nice waves with the 901 series and the Acoustimass series. However on long term listening most listeneers will find them lacking. THe question often is do most listeners care? For example my wife and sister both noticed that Bose performs poorly on many listening tests (more so with jazz, solo piano, etc.. than hip-hop or house) but they dont really care.
Old 26th December 2006, 15:33   #12

Believe me guys.
This website has become my very good pastime. You can take that as a compliment. 2 good information is here in N number of threads.
Being an electronics engg., I simply enjoy listening to your knowledge and reading the threads.

Initially I thought this website is just a car-forum, now I came to know - It has got everything related to Electronics & Fun.

!!Cheers!!
Old 15th October 2007, 15:18   #13
Team-BHP Support

interesting read
Bose FAQ (Re: Bose 301 speakers - Opinions) - rec.audio.opinion | Google Groups
Old 15th October 2007, 16:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

I've used BOSE midrange in my car (pre-TBHP days) and I use to think....WOW! that's magic. But now I can say that BOSE is not even 0.00001% in SQ by my JBL front comps.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is very interesting, isn't it?! I was shocked when he spoke about watching a movie listening to the voice from the sub.

It was the same article that I was referring to here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post577429

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 15th October 2007 at 17:19.

Most Viewed