Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2006, 18:58   #1
BHPian

advice for all you people with pioneer HU problem(alt whine)

hi,

i wanted to share this solution to the alt whine problem with pio HU

Earlier i had no problems but suddenly there was some sound which started coming from the speakers(alternator whine, it increased with the revs.) so i chnged my HU with a kenwood MP3 player(sparingly used)the noise went away. so i figured my pio HU was the culprit. I googled and i found out that there is a tiny fuse on the main circuit board near the rca inputs which gives up easily.its a problem with pio HUs so my repair guy bypassed this little fuse with a tiny piece of wire. So when i connected it back, the noise was gone.
(the fuse is on the backside of the board and there is this thing written next to the fuse [FU and some two or three digits with it] on the board.

i Guess quite a lot of people are having this kind of problem with their pio HU. IMO this is the only solution. ofcourse you can get the fuse replaced if its available.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Take care
Old 26th December 2006, 19:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello clipto,

No you are not wrong, but this is not a blanket solution. A lot of pioneer HUs do have a fuse in the ground path and when it blows, the ground path to the audio out is left open, creating a loud ground loop whine.

The solution to all alternator whine problems is not so simple. It varies from a change in wiring, to a rerouting of cable to sitting back and accepting that you are in trouble.

OK the last one is no solution, but it's often true.
Old 26th December 2006, 20:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

well when this fuse blows teh HU works????
Old 26th December 2006, 20:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes sometimes the fuse just breaks the ground to the audio section. I have seen this happen before.
Old 26th December 2006, 22:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

if the fuse broke ground completely you'd have a lot of fried ICs.
Old 26th December 2006, 23:51   #6
BHPian

Hi friends .

This thing has started happening with my Esteem ( Pioneer HU) and the best part is apart from Alternator Whining // the A/c Fan Speed Noise ( goes like WHHOOOOOOOOO ) other than I can even hear my cars Horn coming from speakers even the Indicator ( tick tick) but sometimes all of a sudden it just VANISHES.

( This all just started happening 2weeks ago after I got my car serviced along with A.c servicing ....went to MArusti Guys they didnt have any idea and as luck would have it the problem just didnt show up when i went to Maruti..... had to go 2~3 times.... theyw erent able to diagnose it )

So now what to do ?
get the fuse checked in HU ?

Tnx n Rgds
P4C
Old 27th December 2006, 02:20   #7
BHPian

hello.. umm this post might not pertain to pioneer Hu's but i had a minor alternator whine too which my alpine 9855 used to pick up . now i knew it wasent my wires and i tried every possible re-route too.. but still the slight whine didnt go.. finally when i upgraded to MSD 8.5mm super conducting igniton wires... Bingo.. no more whine at all. They are superbly sheilded against the Electro-magnetic interference generated by the super strong magnets in our alternators.
so this post might not help pio owners but for anyone else who has the best wires and has tried everything to get rid of the alternator and still has the whine...Try the MSD wires. they are better for your car and so...it cant hurt .
thats about it
boom

Last edited by Tool : 27th December 2006 at 02:21.
Old 27th December 2006, 04:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hello clipto,

No you are not wrong, but this is not a blanket solution. A lot of pioneer HUs do have a fuse in the ground path and when it blows, the ground path to the audio out is left open, creating a loud ground loop whine.

The solution to all alternator whine problems is not so simple. It varies from a change in wiring, to a rerouting of cable to sitting back and accepting that you are in trouble.

OK the last one is no solution, but it's often true.
Hi Sam,

the solution i was talking about was only for those who were having this problem with their pio HUs.

Thanks.
Old 27th December 2006, 04:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
well when this fuse blows teh HU works????
hi,

in my case the HU was working. i did some jugaad to fix it temporarily. i grounded the outer part of one channel of the rca to my HU(i dont know what is the technical name but it was the outer ring and not the pin which goes inside the rca socket). please let me know the technical name if anyone can

thanks
Old 27th December 2006, 09:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
...finally when i upgraded to MSD 8.5mm super conducting igniton wires... boom
Tool,
firstly let me congratulate you. This is the first post of yours I could understand without having to read it twice. Excellent!

Do you have a link to these MSD wires?
Old 27th December 2006, 15:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
Hi friends .

This thing has started happening with my Esteem ( Pioneer HU) and the best part is apart from Alternator Whining // the A/c Fan Speed Noise ( goes like WHHOOOOOOOOO ) other than I can even hear my cars Horn coming from speakers even the Indicator ( tick tick) but sometimes all of a sudden it just VANISHES.

( This all just started happening 2weeks ago after I got my car serviced along with A.c servicing ....went to MArusti Guys they didnt have any idea and as luck would have it the problem just didnt show up when i went to Maruti..... had to go 2~3 times.... theyw erent able to diagnose it )

So now what to do ?
get the fuse checked in HU ?

Tnx n Rgds
P4C
hi,

well the same thing was happening with my pio HU but only when the engine was not running. only alt whine was there when the engine was running. do you have an amp installed in your car. if yes there might be many reasons. But IMO there is some possibility that your HU fuse is blown.
Try some other HU and see if the sound is there.

Thanks
Old 27th December 2006, 18:49   #12
BHPian

hi

I too am facing the same problem with my pio 7750. But wouldn`t the bypassing of the fuse lead to a possible burnout of the internal ckt. So how safe a bet is it to bypass ?

I will try and get the fuse replaced and see if it works.

Thnx
Old 27th December 2006, 19:03   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Tool,

Do you have a link to these MSD wires?
Hi Navin,

Here you go.

MSD Ignition Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire | Products from Viper Performance ...

Viper
Old 27th December 2006, 19:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_sound View Post
I too am facing the same problem with my pio 7750.
Amit, the fuse usually blows when installers are careless with the RCA out connectors with the unit on. The centre (hot) pin touches ground somewhere and blows this fuse. A simple alternative (as pointed out by clipto) is to ground the RCA connector's ground externally. This will cure the whine in most cases where the Pioneer HU is the culprit.
Old 27th December 2006, 19:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Amit, the fuse usually blows when installers are careless with the RCA out connectors with the unit on. The centre (hot) pin touches ground somewhere and blows this fuse. A simple alternative (as pointed out by clipto) is to ground the RCA connector's ground externally. This will cure the whine in most cases where the Pioneer HU is the culprit.

hey

ooo ok, got it. thnx gunbir for the prompt reply...i definately will do that. Hoping this whine eventually subsides now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks