Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2018, 19:39   #1
BHPian

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet

This was long overdue. But glad that I am now finally penning down my experience. It all started with my need, or should I say desire, to have an integrated monitoring system for information, communication, entertainment (aka ICE) based on a platform that was amenable to a whole lot of applications – tech, music, news, cars and what have you, whilst also being a custom fit for the new Linea dash. A natural choice was thus an Android based head unit (HU). I tried to do a bit of research on the price and availability both online and off it. Unfortunately, could not get any major leads in the local or for that matter the domestic market which could fit the exact contours of the stock HU. The ones that were customised android HUs were available only from the Chinese brands and that too from China.

If this search were about a couple of years back, I would have given up the idea, given the notoriety of Chinese products, particularly those shipped directly to customers. But this apprehension is more of a perception than a fact. I say so based on my personal experience of purchasing Chinese products from Chinese websites (read Aliexpress). I have been a regular buyer from AliExpress for the last few years and I can say with some conviction that no Indian player (including Amazon, its US origin notwithstanding) even comes close to the range of products being on offer on that site and at such competitive pricing. Specifically for my T-Jet, I have purchased a tyre pressure gauge and inflator, a DashCam and a TPMS with a solar charged LED display panel. The last two, IMHO, every automobile should mandatorily have, both as a matter of safety as well as efficiency.

I already had a reverse camera installed, but had to view it on the MapMyIndia (ZX 350) which was offered complimentary when I bought my Jet about three and a half years back. I wasn’t too satisfied with this set up, as it was rather untidy with the display stuck on the windscreen; the MMI has anyways lost its relevance in the age of google maps and add to it a poor battery life of the unit. Thus, more often than not, it found place inside the glovebox than on the windscreen, making the reverse cam redundant. Some of the other reasons that kept my urge on for a droid HU were:
  1. The need for an integrated navigation display with live traffic updates (mobile stuck on the windscreen personally looks very ugly to me).
  2. Had a DashCam which was being used via the mobile
  3. Had an ELM plugged in to the OBD port but again being used via the mobile
  4. The stock Kenwood HU looked aged although was still elegant (the DVD drive was never used)
  5. In spite of not being an audiophile, the sound from the stock unit, especially the bass, was never to my liking.
  6. The novelty factor or the psychological satisfaction of having a unit which most cars would not have and thus most would not have experienced.

Since I always had an eye on the HU which looked like a factory finished one, I had short listed a few, on Alibaba and on AliExpress. The big question was which one to finally purchase. My decision was based on the following criteria:
  1. Price (of course)
  2. Version of Android (wanted the highest available, Nougat that time)
  3. Hardware specs (essentially the processor speed)
  4. Number of units purchased
  5. User reviews
  6. Seller rating
  7. Genuineness and reliability of after sales (used the existence and exhaustiveness of seller website as a proxy)

Based on these, I finally zeroed in on Seicane and had it in my cart on AliEx till the time the pricing became really attractive (thanks to the dynamic pricing rule and the Singles Day!). I was still apprehensive but eventually took the plunge as my patience ran out and I ordered the Seicae HU on 2018. The effective purchase price was USD (roughly INR 18000)

It took about two weeks for the shipment to reach my residence through the India post. There was a customs duty of Rs 2400 that had to be paid to the postman. Thus the total cost of the HU for me was Rs 20,000. The packing was rather decent by AliEx standard. Immediately rushed to Pankajbhai of FM Drive to have it fixed. Was very enthusiastic and also anxious at the same time, not sure if the unit would work as promised. I was suggested that in order to get the best out of the unit, it would make sense to instal an amplifier and upgrade the speakers. For further improvements, Pankajbhai also suggested damping the 4 doors.Damping was always in my mind given the cabin noise, more so due to stock Goodyear tyres, which become worse on concrete roads. I went with the suggestion for the following configuration:
  • Amplifier: Pioneer
  • Speakers : Coral Coax (didn’t opt for components since they were way beyond budget)
  • Damping sheets: DrArtex

Total cost of the above including fitting: Rs. 30,000

It took about 2 days to have everything (save one) up and running – Steering mounted controls. After many attempts, guys at FM Drive gave up citing problems with the canbus. I got in touch with seller (Seicane) who, to my pleasant surprise, shipped another canbus unit. Till that time it was a temporary fix. But I enjoyed every bit of it. This was a big big upgrade and the fit was spot on. I was mighty pleased, overlooking the canbus glitch. However, even the second canbus could not rectify the steering mounts. Pankajbhai also utilised the services of an outside expert who apparently works with a well know automobile MNC, but of no avail. I raised the issue with the seller and after a few rounds of mails exchanged, I decided to live with the reality of non operational steering mounts. But then the Radio started to behave abnormally, not willing to stay on the same frequency for more than a few seconds. Worse still, and this was the proverbial last straw, the Wi-Fi stopped working. My apprehensions on quality were now all coming true. I was frustrated and again raised the issue with Seicane who offered a refund provided I sent the HU back. I did not want to go for this option having already paid the duty and having had the HU fitted on the Jet. Hence, I negotiated for a partial refund and managed to get 50% (Rs 9,000). Simultaneously, the seller asked me to update the firmware and sent me a link to download the apk file.

After many failed attempts at updating, both through the USB as also through the SD sard, one fine lucky day, I was able to finally update. And wow- both radio and Wi-Fi were fixed! Steering mounts of course could not as they were not connected.

Having passed through all the nagging issues and teething problems over a period of six months, the HU has been functioning the way it ought to for the past one month. I am now one relieved fella, enjoying the great music on a wonderful HU which looks so sleek that it is bound to catch anyone’s eyes. Have a look yourself (all shots from handheld phones, so quality may not do justice to the real visual experience). Let me sum up the pros and cons:

Pros
  1. A truly all in one ICE integrated unit (music, DashCam, TPMS, reverse cam, navigation map, screen mirroring, GPS and more)
  2. Excellent and exact fit (appears factory-fitted) with the same piano black finishing as the OEM HU
  3. Access to all apps on the Google Playstore (thru Wi-Fi tethering)
  4. No additional wiring needed. Just plug-n-play (vehicle’s warranty remains intact)

Cons
  1. Loss of steering controls (in my case because of canbus compatibility issues)
  2. Blue and me dysfunctional
  3. Loss of DVD drive (who needs it anyway!)

For me, I am simply loving it. The drive’s now become even more fun. Would I recommend this? Well, I have listed down my experience – not a smooth one by any stretch of imagination – but the one that I should say has ended off rather well, but for the issue of loss of steering controls.
Attached Thumbnails
ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6575.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6578.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6576.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6577.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6582.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6596.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6597.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6598.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6599.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6608.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6610.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6611.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6612.jpg  

ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet-img_6613.jpg  

Last edited by indiaashish : 4th July 2018 at 19:45. Reason: Incorrect Forum
indiaashish is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 21:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: ICEing and spicing up my Linea T-Jet

Hi, which head unit did you use ? Did it have Google Play store ?
Old 4th July 2018, 21:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
I say so based on my personal experience of purchasing Chinese products from Chinese websites (read Aliexpress). I have been a regular buyer from AliExpress for the last few years and I can say with some conviction that no Indian player (including Amazon, its US origin notwithstanding) even comes close to the range of products being on offer on that site and at such competitive pricing.
I have been shopping regularly on AliExpress and my experience has been similar. My most recent purchase - during their annual sale - an ADZOME dash camera, has features that are impossible to get from mainstream brands in the same price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
For me, I am simply loving it. The drive’s now become even more fun. Would I recommend this? Well, I have listed down my experience – not a smooth one by any stretch of imagination – but the one that I should say has ended off rather well, but for the issue of loss of steering controls.
Thanks for the detailed write-up of your experience buying and installing an aftermarket HU.

I'm considering options from AliExpress for the HU upgrade for our Brio. However, since I have Android Auto as a must-have feature in my list, I have currently narrowed it down to Sony XAV-AX100 and Pioneer AVH-Z5190BT.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 19:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Hi, which head unit did you use ? Did it have Google Play store ?
As I had mentioned, the HU is from the brand Seicane (https://www.seicane.com/de/android-r...r-tpms-s32594f).

Since its based on the Android platform (Nougat), Play Store can be accessed either though a sim or through wifi tethering.
indiaashish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks