Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2007, 17:55   #1
BHPian

My Toyota Corolla ICE Pics

Unfortunately I don't have any install pics...So I am posting few pictures taken post installation.

The system setup below,
Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P6850DVD
Front Speakers: Morel Pulse 6.5" 2-way component
Rear Speakers: Infinity Reference 9613i 3-way 6" x 9"
Primary Amp: Alpine MRV-F545 4-channel
Sub Amp: Alpine MRD-M301 Class D Mono Block
Subwoofer: Blaupunkt Velocity Vb300 12" DVC
Accessory: Pioneer IPod Adapter CD-IB100II

It is a very clean setup, everything is hidden, the only thing that is visible is the subwoofer box in the boot. Both front and rear speakers
fixed in the OE slot and Amps are hidden under front seats.

I have not done any damping in my car, I don't hear any vibrations in doors etc except from the rear windshield when the subwoofer pounds. What should I do to stop this? Any suggestions from audio gurus? Do let me know what you think of this setup??

Few pics below,
Head Unit

IPod Adapter

4-Channel Amp

Sub Amp

Sub-Woofer

Old 2nd January 2007, 13:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod - moved from the Civic ICE thread to its own thread
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice clean install. Can you post prices for the HU & iPod connector
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice install.

1. Did you listen to the sysmte without the BOSS capacitor?
2. What is that ply wood I see above the subwoofer in the second last picture?
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice install, novice. Very neat. :-) The dash looks real good now!

The rear door/bootlid is usually a problem in most cars with pounding subs. Damping is the only way you can fix this. The problem will only get worse as time passes.

I have mostly the same question as Navin. Was that Cap really required?
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Can you post prices for the HU & iPod connector
HU cost me 60K which I bought in grey market. Pioneer ran an advertisement campaign for this model recently in Indian media but they never brought this system to our market.

iPod Adapter cost 6K. It is available for Rs.4200 in Bangalore National market but they won't do any installation.
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. What is that ply wood I see above the subwoofer in the second last picture?
No, it is not plywood. It is the body frame that supports rear seats. Subwoofer is a standalone box, it could be removed easily if more boot space is required.
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The rear door/bootlid is usually a problem in most cars with pounding subs. Damping is the only way you can fix this. The problem will only get worse as time passes.

I have mostly the same question as Navin. Was that Cap really required?
Thanks.. bootlid does vibrate but the real problem is the rear windshield. It makes considerable noise when bass is not tight. Can this also be reduced with damping. Btw, how much would it cost to apply damping for the entire car(Corolla). Any suggestions on where could I get it done in Bangalore?

Regarding the BOSS cap, I haven't tried to listen without the cap. It is actually not required for the current setup. I plan to replace the current sub-amp with a more powerful new Alpine amp. I also plan to add few more accessories. So I opted for a cap during the first installation itself. But many told me that BOSS is not a good choice. Is it really that bad?
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

If and when you upgrade your amp please also upgrade the power cables (if you have not already done so). Damping a Corolla (2 doors, trunk, roof, etc...) can cost about 10K.
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Cool dash, novice and very hot dames in that dash, be warned not to switch that on while you drive, ok ? keep your eyes on the road & your hand upon the wheel, right ?
Old 2nd January 2007, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
... bootlid does vibrate but the real problem is the rear windshield. It makes considerable noise when bass is not tight. Can this also be reduced with damping. Btw, how much would it cost to apply damping for the entire car(Corolla). Any suggestions on where could I get it done in Bangalore?
The rear windshield/window? Are you sure? I think you'll need to get the rubber beading and the fitting of the rear window looked at. The window shouldn't rattle, normally.

Like Navin said, for damping a Corolla, expect a bill around 10K. Anwar at AutoFusion, Koramangala does damping work. I'm sure there are others too (esp. in Bangalore).

Try getting somebody to press up on the rear window from inside the car (or press down on it from outside the car) when you play Bass-heavy music. If the vibrations stop, then it must really be the rear window glass rattling.

Also try getting somebody to stand outside the car (without pressing down on the rear window glass), while you play bass-heavy music (with the windows rolled-up). Ask that person to see where the rattle comes from, if it can be made-out from outside the car.

Quote:
Regarding the BOSS cap, I haven't tried to listen without the cap. It is actually not required for the current setup. I plan to replace the current sub-amp with a more powerful new Alpine amp. I also plan to add few more accessories. So I opted for a cap during the first installation itself. But many told me that BOSS is not a good choice. Is it really that bad?
BOSS audio does make substandard stuff. Using BOSS cables nearly always ends up with alternator whine creeping into the music. I used BOSS Cables (and RCA interconnects) for about 2 years (pre-Team BHP period). I actually was lucky and did not get the alt whine problem -- yet. I had the cables changed to Connection Audison last week. The BOSS cables that came out were a sight to see (I should have snapped pics of them too. Pity I didn't think of that. I'll see if they are still at the installer when I go to pick-up my OE door pads and OE rear speaker pods. If they are, I'll snap them and add the snaps to my Palio install thread).

The power cable (4g) was (originally) insulated with red-shaded clear plastic when I put them in 2 years back. Now the plastic has become nearly all black! And the insulation has become brittle and is ready to snap if some pressure is applied. The wires & the plastic were obviously not good enough to stand the heat the power-flow was generating. If I'd waited for maybe another 6 months before I changed the cables, I would have been in trouble.

The BOSS caps would also have similar quality issues. I'm sorry about saying this but I think you should know this. And I remember a discussion in a earlier thread where somebody mentioned (half-jokingly, I guess) that BOSS Caps must be half-filled with sand or something. If you really don't need that Cap, it would be a good idea to get rid of it the next time you visit your installer.

Also, do go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...mono-amps.html
It gives some good gyaan about Caps.

Last edited by hydrashok : 2nd January 2007 at 16:12.
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The rear windshield/window? Are you sure? I think you'll need to get the rubber beading and the fitting of the rear window looked at. The window shouldn't rattle, normally.
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah...it is the rear windshield(not rear window), vibrations stop if I press it hard from outside. Not sure if this could be stopped with damping. I will give a try.

Quote:
BOSS audio does make substandard stuff. Using BOSS cables nearly always ends up with alternator whine creeping into the music.
Please don't laugh for this.. Some of my RCA cables are BOSS products as well. I did not pay much attention into the selection of wiring kits... I should have taken advice from audio gurus in TBHP

I plan to completely overhaul all wirings in my setup and dampen the entire car. Could you(and other audio gurus) suggest me some good quality power, RCA and speaker wirings which are available here for my ICE setup. The current setup uses 4-gauge power wires with 60A fuse for each amp. Is it enough or should I go for 2-gauge or even bigger wires. Note that I plan to replace the existing sub-amp with Alpine MRD-M605 or MRD-M1005.

Also I have one silly question...most BHPians seem to opt for Audison Amps. Are they really good....better than Alpine?. Many people told me that Alpine is the best when it comes to Amplifiers. Now I am little confused after seeing other ICE installations in TBHP.

Thanks in advance.

-Novice
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Audison Amps. Are they really good....better than Alpine?. Many people told me that Alpine is the best when it comes to Amplifiers.

-Novice
There is no "brand" that is the best. All brands have good and bad products. Alpine amps are pretty good, just make sure you get the original ones, as there are a few fake amps floating around.
Old 2nd January 2007, 23:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please don't laugh for this.. Some of my RCA cables are BOSS products as well. I did not pay much attention into the selection of wiring kits... I should have taken advice from audio gurus in TBHP

current setup uses 4-gauge power wires with 60A fuse for each amp. Is it enough or should I go for 2-gauge or even bigger wires. Note that I plan to replace the existing sub-amp with Alpine MRD-M605 or MRD-M1005.

Also I have one silly question...most BHPians seem to opt for Audison Amps. Are they really good....better than Alpine?.
a) no need to be ashamed. BOSS cables just have poor reliability. In 8 out of 10 cases where alternator whine is detected it is these cables that seem to be at fault. Change them when you can. Belden is a good alternate but Monster (there is fake Monster also around) Interlink Jr. at 1200-1400 per set seems to be a good safe and easily available alternate too. Audison I guess costs more.

b) I would have run only 1 1GA cable from the battery to a terminal box then run 4GA cable to each amp.

c) Audison amps are quite reputed. There are other brands as well. Look around and USE your EARS. Trust your EARS.
Old 2nd January 2007, 23:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice Install.
What is the current prize of AVH- P6850DVD ?

Mugen.

Most Viewed