Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 07:56   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
6K for 5.1?? I thought the 6.1 came for that price.
6.1 costs Rs. 6,490/-.
Old 27th March 2008, 09:02   #77
BHPian

I was thinking of going for the JBL1004 amp running the Electra 6.1's up front and a JBL 12" sub with the rear channels bridged. The 6.1's had a rms rating of 70watts@4ohms and the 1004 pumps 100w rms@4ohms and it was kind of matched.

But the electra 5.1 can handle only 50w rms @4ohms and the amp might be an overkill for those speakers, but perfect for the subs. So what do i do?? look for another amp or go for the 1004?
Old 27th March 2008, 09:20   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was thinking of going for the JBL1004 amp running the Electra 6.1's up front and a JBL 12" sub with the rear channels bridged. The 6.1's had a rms rating of 70watts@4ohms and the 1004 pumps 100w rms@4ohms and it was kind of matched.

But the electra 5.1 can handle only 50w rms @4ohms and the amp might be an overkill for those speakers, but perfect for the subs. So what do i do?? look for another amp or go for the 1004?
Don't go by what RMS what puts out. An amp with lesser power can do more damage to the speakers than an amp with more power. In your example, the amp puts out more than twice and is quite good since you have a lot of headroom. Don't worry about mating the 1004 to the 5.1's. They'll work well.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v
6K for 5.1?? I thought the 6.1 came for that price
6.1 is 6.5k. The 5.25" driver has almost the same magnet and voice coil size as that of the 6.5". The 5.1 is rated at 60 Wrms.

Quote:
But the electra 5.1 can handle only 50w rms @4ohms and the amp might be an overkill for those speakers,
You will blow the 5.1s if you play them at full rated output of the amp playing pink noise for 12 straight hours.

If you are willing to not perform the abovementioned experiment, then dont worry about the power matching.

P.S. Even the 4.1 can also take the full output of the 75.4/ 1004 with program material and high pass of 80-100 Hz.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:06   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
6.1 is 6.5k. The 5.25" driver has almost the same magnet and voice coil size as that of the 6.5". The 5.1 is rated at 60 Wrms.

You will blow the 5.1s if you play them at full rated output of the amp playing pink noise for 12 straight hours.

P.S. Even the 4.1 can also take the full output of the 75.4/ 1004 with program material and high pass of 80-100 Hz.
Thanks B&T for clarifying that. So i can stick with the 1004. But what's this "program material"??

One more question, what's the relation between the rms output and the gain of an amp?? is it like at max gain the amp will push out the specified rms??
Old 27th March 2008, 14:25   #81
RAC
BHPian

Quote:

This is good. I had the same doubt in my mind as I had planned an upgrade to EL4.1 from the current speakers and had thought of running them on my 1004.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what's this "program material"??
What normal people listen to on their stereos, i.e. music, audio from movies, speech etc. Hence.. not tones, sine waves or noise.

Quote:
One more question, what's the relation between the rms output and the gain of an amp?? is it like at max gain the amp will push out the specified rms??
Lets assume that the markings on the gain control on amp extend from say 6V to 250mV (decreasing voltage units as you turn clockwise).

So, if you connect a 6V pre-out head unit to the amp, leave the gain in the minimum position (i.e 6V on the dial), and when you turn the head unit's volume control to max (head unit is now "outputting" full pre-out voltage), the amp will (ideally) deliver maximum unclipped power.

But if the pre-out voltage from the head unit is lower than 6V - say 4V, you turn the gain knob clockwise to 4V so that the amp increases its gain to compensate for the lower input it receives. Not to put out more power. But to put out same maximum power at this head unit's full volume.
Old 27th March 2008, 15:09   #83
BHPian

Quote:
So, if you connect a 6V pre-out head unit to the amp, leave the gain in the minimum position (i.e 6V on the dial), and when you turn the head unit's volume control to max (head unit is now "outputting" full pre-out voltage), the amp will (ideally) deliver maximum unclipped power.

But if the pre-out voltage from the head unit is lower than 6V - say 4V, you turn the gain knob clockwise to 4V so that the amp increases its gain to compensate for the lower input it receives. Not to put out more power. But to put out same maximum power at this head unit's full volume.
Oh now I get the whole point. That was a great explanation . So it means that the higher the voltage of the pre-outs from the HU, the better, since the amp will work less and hence less heat generation and cleaner music right??

supposing that the HU gives out 4v pre-outs, and we set the gain to a much lower voltage in the amp, say 1v(or even less), then will the amp try to push more power, thereby heating itself and killing the speakers?? and also clipping the sound??
Old 1st April 2008, 17:14   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Oh now I get the whole point. That was a great explanation . So it means that the higher the voltage of the pre-outs from the HU, the better, since the amp will work less and hence less heat generation and cleaner music right??

supposing that the HU gives out 4v pre-outs, and we set the gain to a much lower voltage in the amp, say 1v(or even less), then will the amp try to push more power, thereby heating itself and killing the speakers?? and also clipping the sound??
***Bump***
No answer to my earlier post??
Old 1st April 2008, 19:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it means that the higher the voltage of the pre-outs from the HU, the better, since the amp will work less and hence less heat generation and cleaner music right??
While higher pre-out voltages are beneficial from the point of view that the signal to noise ratio remains high during transmission, it doesnt exactly make the job any easier for the amp.

Quote:
Your system will max out in terms of the loudness level at a lower head unit volume level than max and if you turn the dial further, the amp will produce clipped output. It could overheat/ go into thermal protection/ kill the speakers too.
Old 1st April 2008, 19:47   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... higher the voltage of the pre-outs from the HU, the better, since the amp will work less
Correct.
Quote:
and hence less heat generation ...
Approximately correct - depends on the amp rating and the impedance of load connected
Quote:
... and cleaner music right??
Yes and no. Depends on the make of amplifier. For example, if an amp makes bad music, giving it a higher HU output might make matters worse.
Quote:
Depends on a lot of things that you are leaving out in the equation:
* The absolute power rating of the amp
* The sensitivity and power rating of the speakers
* The 'loudness' demanded - HU volume, and loudness of the music being played
Old 1st April 2008, 21:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
While higher pre-out voltages are beneficial from the point of view that the signal to noise ratio remains high during transmission, it doesnt exactly make the job any easier for the amp.
now that has got me a little confused. Which is better? A low level preout or a higher level preout from HU, considering a good amp like the GTO75.4?? Is the extra cost paid for the HU justified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Correct.
Approximately correct - depends on the amp rating and the impedance of load connected
Yes and no. Depends on the make of amplifier. For example, if an amp makes bad music, giving it a higher HU output might make matters worse.
Depends on a lot of things that you are leaving out in the equation:
* The absolute power rating of the amp
* The sensitivity and power rating of the speakers
* The 'loudness' demanded - HU volume, and loudness of the music being played
And one more question. What are the advantages of more amp pre-outs from the HU?? consider a setup with
1.front components and sub running from a 4-ch amp, rear co-axes off the HU
2.front components and the rear co-axes running from a 4-ch amp. no sub.

how many pre-outs are required for both these setups?
Old 1st April 2008, 21:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

The higher the pre-amp voltage, the stronger is the signal to the amp.
Old 1st April 2008, 22:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And one more question. What are the advantages of more amp pre-outs from the HU??
Convenience, if a conventional setup. If an active setup from HU - band separation (low, mid, hi)
Quote:
consider a setup with
2 L+R pairs!
Old 1st April 2008, 22:42   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now that has got me a little confused. Which is better? A low level preout or a higher level preout from HU, considering a good amp like the GTO75.4?? Is the extra cost paid for the HU justified?
I don't know which two head units you are considering, but anything 2.5V + should serve well.

Quote:
And one more question. What are the advantages of more amp pre-outs from the HU?? consider a setup with

Take the example of Pioneer. Most of their 2 pre-out head units have a configurable pre-out pair, i.e. Front + Rear OR Front + SubWoofer. So in both your above examples, one with 2 pairs of pre-outs will do the job. UNLESS you expect to upgrade in the future and amp the rears also. In which case a 3 pre-out head uni is future safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks