Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 23:03   #1

Tesla-like big & vertical audio head-units in India

I happened to come across this installation video of a Tesla-like vertical ICE for Fortuner . On a further search on youtube, I found a couple of more installation videos for many other US made cars. Amazon US has listings for similar ICE for US car model's. These ICE's run stock Android and the fit finish and the touch quality is very phone like, I am very interested in such a product. Do we have any forum member who has tried a similar product?

Last edited by navin : 12th September 2018 at 11:34. Reason: typo
Ketz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 09:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Tesla-like big & vertical audio head-units in India

Wow, I can see why some people might like that. Looks very eye-catching and has some good functionality too.

It's like an Android-based tablet with some additional functionality, no?

Better turn that screen off while driving at night. Will be a major distraction.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 11:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla-like big & vertical audio head-units in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketz View Post
I happened to come across this installation video of a Tesla-like vertical ICE for Fortuner... Do we have any forum member who has tried a similar product?
Wow! Love the passion.

While I am not a fan of very large screens (as they might distract the driver and may also break in the event of an accident) in a car I take nothing away from the sheer passion that is required to install something as "mad" as this.

If there is anyone who has the "madness" required to install something like this in Mumbai (if not India) it would be the "Mental Dental" Frank Mehta.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...oid-twist.html (Frankmehta's Polo GT TSI ICE: Android with a twist)

Personally I prefer some tactile controls for the primary audio functions (volume, power, track /station change, etc) but I am old school.
navin is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 14:28   #4
BHPian

IMO, installing such screen will require expertise along with knowledge to connect it to the steering mounted controls.
Please check first is such an installation was done previously and if it is fully functioning in all aspects. Avoid your car being a guinea pig along with voided warranty.
Old 15th September 2018, 12:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly, I found this HU quite grotesque and very Chinese..err..blingy.

I've installed multiple touch screen based HUs in my car over the years. So while screen based controls look cool they're IMHO not so cool when in use. I mostly operate accessories using feel and place high priority on being able to feel my way around to select and press the appropriate control. Some call it 'muscle memory'. The consolation with my touch screen HU is the most basic controls are on the steering plus rather small buttons on the HU. I almost never need to take my hand off the wheel or eyes off the road.

Therefore the biggest problem I foresee with this humongous touchscreen HU is the lack of tactile feel and feedback. For e.g. when I drive I feel around on the centre console for the correct button and press it. How am I supposed to adjust or switch off the climate control, switch HU operation modes, without taking my eyes off the road or searching on a screen that's well populated with several icons? That to me spells a big safety hazard.

Sorry, I'll pass. Won't touch this one with a barge pole. Yeah, guess that means I am old fashioned.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th September 2018 at 12:46.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 11:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks down right crass in my opinion. A screen this big does nothing for the functionality or ease of use while driving the vehicle.
IMO, hard buttons for major vehicle functions are a must and no screen sliders can replicate that.
In-fact, having spent 1 week in a Tesla Model S while travelling recently , the large vertical pad on the dash for all vehicle functions was just plain irritating to use after the novelty wore off within a day or two. Not to mention taking the eyes off every time to look where to press and sun light legibility issues. Lastly, no matter how impressive it was, it was not a 100% fluid and seamless experience.

Most Viewed