Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 12:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car

Amazon wants to give everyone the chance to bring Alexa into their car and it plans to do that with the Echo Auto. The small dash-mounted device brings location-sensitive Alexa functionality to any car for $50.

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-61gzkq5vs2l._sl1000_.jpg

More importantly - it works even with olders cars without a modern smart infotainment system.

Quote:
The Echo Auto is a small device that sits on top of your dash that allows you to connect to your phone via Bluetooth, then to Amazon's cloud via your phone's cell signal to bring massive amounts of functionality to your car with its new real-time OS.

The Echo Auto device packs eight microphones into its small design to help with the noise canceling that is so necessary inside a car. The device is also location-aware and can use location-based triggers for Alexa Routines. As an example, Alexa can turn your home's smart lights on and unlock your smart door locks when you pull into your driveway.
Source

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-easetup1500x573._cb483428714_.jpg

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-51ff4kw7wbl._sl1000_.jpg
  • Connects to Alexa using your phone, is ready in seconds, and plays through your car speakers. Includes Echo Auto Dash Mount.
  • With eight microphones designed for in-car acoustics, Echo Auto can hear you over music, A/C, and road noise.
  • Use your voice to play music, check the news, open the garage door, find the nearest gas station, and more.
  • Play Audible books, stream podcasts, or listen to Amazon Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, or NPR.
  • Make calls, set reminders, add items to your shopping and to-do lists, or manage your calendar.
  • With over 50,000 skills and counting, Alexa is always getting smarter. Skills are like apps and let you do more with Alexa.
  • Set location-based routines—automated actions Alexa can start when you leave the office or get home.
  • Ask for directions and Alexa connects to supported apps like Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze on your phone.
  • Voice control your home from your car. Set up smart home routines that automatically start when you pull in the driveway.

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-61xuqpslknl._sl1000_.jpg

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-71fmqb78ppl._sl1000_.jpg

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-71mwdj7hxnl._sl1000_.jpg

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-71xxsrwreyl._sl1000_.jpg

More details of purchase -
https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-E.../dp/B0753K4CWG
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 13:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car

Interesting little add-on.

This is the car equivalent of adding a Chromecast/FireStick to your dumb-tv to make it a Smart TV.

Those with older infotainment systems would enjoy using this, since it's at a decent price-point too (though $35 would be ideal).

I think the most useful feature of Alexa is being able to ask it to play a song / playlist on Spotify or Amazon music, and I'd imagine that would be used a lot more in the car.

The wiring looks pretty awful though!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
This is the car equivalent of adding a Chromecast/FireStick to your dumb-tv to make it a Smart TV.

The wiring looks pretty awful though!
My thoughts exactly.

With most any HU having a front USB port if they built all the hardware into a USB thumb drive form it would eliminate all the wiring.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I see that the Echo device will be plugged into the 12V socket. However I can't find any information on how it will connect to the car's speakers. For older cars without a bluetooth head-unit, the phone won't be paired to the car's speakers. Am I missing anything here?
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I see that the Echo device will be plugged into the 12V socket. However I can't find any information on how it will connect to the car's speakers. For older cars without a bluetooth head-unit, the phone won't be paired to the car's speakers. Am I missing anything here?
There is an aux output on the echo auto, which can be used for non-bluetooth headunits.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
There is an aux output on the echo auto, which can be used for non-bluetooth headunits.
And that makes 2 wires running across the dashboard.
It won't help a car which doesn't have an Aux port on the headunit (I am looking for audio solutions for a 13 year old car).
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 15:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks interesting.

Will buy one when it is available in India.

Here is the launch video (go to 6:41):

mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 11:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

If one doesn't want to read the rant below, here's the MOOT point. Google Assistant WORKS. Alexa DOESN'T!

Pray, WHY would anyone buy an ALEXA device when Google integration is so good? I would like to know how many people PREFER Alexa over Google Assistant.
I have both, and having used both extensively, I can say, Alexa does only 2 jobs. You can buy stuff from Amazon via Alexa or you can ask her the time or to read the news, THAT'S ALL it works for! If one wishes to call for an Uber via Alexa while driving, they need to be checked for mental instability.

And WHAT AN ABOMINATION it looks like!? Wires running along the dashboard?! Really? Initially, I thought this was a Kickstarter or Indigogo product for first movers. I didn't expect Amazon to do this!

Last edited by frankmehta : 27th September 2018 at 11:13.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have both, and having used both extensively, I can say, Alexa does only 2 jobs. You can buy stuff from Amazon via Alexa or you can ask her the time or to read the news, THAT'S ALL it works for! If one wishes to call for an Uber via Alexa while driving, they need to be checked for mental instability.
That's a little harsh. Alexa can play Amazon Prime Music (with subscription of course), which is a very welcome feature for cars with their dumb music systems. It also integrates with smart home devices very nicely (I have smart bulbs, smart plugs, and a smart air purifier at home). One area where Google Home has Echo beat fair and square is the general search though.

I have both Echo and Google Home and I actually find that "Alexa" is picked up almost every time by Echo whereas "OK Google", "Hey Google", "OK booboo" are always a hit or a miss with Google Home. I think Amazon hit a home run with the phonetics with "Alexa" and Google just completely ignored this aspect.

Coming back to topic, I think the Echo Auto will fit very nicely at least with the newer cars that have both the usb and aux ports under the center console without any wires showing. Just look at the images of Jetta and Endeavour below. Echo Auto with its multiple microphone array should not have any trouble picking up commands even when its in the centre console and not on top of dashboard.

VW Jetta:

Ford Endeavour:
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:43   #10
BHPian

The Amazon Echo Auto has been officially launched in India today at a price of INR 4,999. The item is available for pre-order from Amazon and will be made available by Jan 15, 2020.

Source: The Hindu Business Line

Pre-order link from Amazon
TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

Pray, WHY would anyone buy an ALEXA device when Google integration is so good?
I agree. I currently use Android Auto on my mobile and it works beautifully with the Google Assistant able to play songs and even playlists on Amazon Music.

Not sure why anyone would unnecessarily add a second device
Old 9th January 2020, 12:39   #12
BHPian

Amazon Prime music app works wonderful in phone (connected to my car via apple carplay and its available in Android auto too). it can take voice commands too. whats the use of having a separate device in car???
Old 9th January 2020, 13:22   #13
BHPian

Doesn't this use internet off your phone? Then why not just use Alexa from the phone directly?
Old 9th January 2020, 14:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Doesn't this use internet off your phone? Then why not just use Alexa from the phone directly?
you can download and stream it ofline.

you need to leave the mobile screen on to use Alexa directly.

Last edited by Travelocity : 9th January 2020 at 14:39.
Old 24th August 2020, 20:58   #15
BHPian

Amazon Echo Auto: A short ownership experience

Background:

I was always a music lover, so is my wife. Our tastes in music are probably opposite extremes, but we both love to have something playing in the background as we go on with our daily chores including driving. So it was natural for us to keep an eye on the Echo dot device from Amazon and we bought it about a year back during one of the shopping festivals. I already had a subscription to Amazon Prime, so setting the device up was quite easy. We both loved Alexa, even our two-year-old baby girl started giving Alexa instructions to play her favorite songs.

Now, coming to the topic. My daily drive is a 2014 end manufactured Fiat Punto Evo. I love everything about the car, but there is no denying the fact that the Blue&Me system is pretty dumb by today’s standards. There is no Bluetooth music streaming, and voice commands are mostly not understood. Initially I was ok with connecting my phone through an aux cable. Once I changed my phone to one which doesn’t have a 3.5mm port, the aux cable became useless. Also, I had a blown fuse once because of the aux cable. A little search on Amazon led me to a very useful Tp link Bluetooth receiver, which I was comfortably using until recently.

When the Echo Auto was launched it had a price tag of about 5000 INR and I have rarely seen it having significant discounts. Even though I was interested, I was reluctant to pay that much. So when I saw it available for about 3000 INR in the prime day sale, I quickly placed an order. The device was delivered in a week.

Unboxing:

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-img_20200813_131350.jpg

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-img_20200813_131409.jpg

The package includes
1. The Echo Auto device
2. Ac vent mount with magnetic holder
3. Two port charging adapter
4. A short micro USB cable to power the device
5. A 3.5mm male to male aux cable (specifically for older systems like mine)

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-img_20200813_131553.jpg

Setting up the device:

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-img_20200813_131722.jpg

This was the easy part. Connect the echo auto to any 5v 1amp source (if u don’t want to sit in the car and do). I simply used my laptop’s USB port. Open up the Alexa app in your phone, follow the step by step instructions to add a new device. The echo auto connects to your phone via Bluetooth and shares the phone’s mobile data. Connection is seamless as long as you keep your Bluetooth, mobile data and location on.

Installation in the car:

This was the difficult part. Firstly, I was not comfortable with the idea of mounting the device on the AC vent. I hate dangling wires, and I have a toddler. Even if I overlook that, the USB cable provided was not long enough to reach the single charging socket in my car. I looked at various mounting options and finally resorted to some jugaad.

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-img_20200819_185719.jpg

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-img_20200819_190046.jpg

Took off the dashboard mounting clip, fixed double sided tapes instead and placed the same mount on the center console just in front of the aux input.

Amazon's Echo Auto - Alexa device for your car-img_20200821_113642.jpg
When it comes to concealing the wires, the panel gaps in the Punto's interiors are a blessing in disguise

The experience:

I use Alexa only for streaming music, making calls, listening to news/whether updates. For that purpose, she is excellent. Echo auto connects to my phone in seconds once I turn on the car, tells whenever the mobile signal/connection is lost. Even if AC is working in full blast and the music is playing, the device picks up the wake word “Alexa” 99% of the time. The music quality sounds good enough to me. Compared to Blue&me, voice search of phonebook for making a call is quite accurate. When a call comes, Alexa stops playback and Blue&Me takes over. I haven’t tried navigation as yet, but I read somewhere it isn’t very useful.

My verdict:

You really don’t need this device if you are driving one of the newer generation cars with android auto etc. For someone who is holding on to an older model, it adds a little novelty & bling and may be a touch of convenience. There is no messing with any electricals or wiring, simple plug and play and disconnect when you don’t want it. An added advantage for me is that I can connect it to my Bluetooth speaker and stream music in my room when I stay at my workplace overnight. I still might not buy it at its original price, but with a good discount it’s a nice thing to have.

PS: The most priceless thing was to see my daughter’s amusement & joy to hear Alexa replying to us and playing through the car’s speakers.

Last edited by Night Raven : 24th August 2020 at 21:03. Reason: adding spaces for easier reading
Night Raven is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed