Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 15:24   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Pioneer DSP actually comes with a harness that can accept your OEM HU's speaker level outputs.
Only for very few cars.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 17:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Pioneer DSP actually comes with a harness that can accept your OEM HU's speaker level outputs.
True. In the absence of RCA output, this is the only option.

DSPs accept speaker level output, but this also means HU DSP and amplifier has done it's work on the signal and the standalone DSP now have to work on this.

If the intent of using an aftermarket DSP is to fine tune the set up, a cleaner line level/ RCA feed into the DSP/ Amp will be preferred.
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:43   #33
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade my Creta front Speakers to JBL GTO 609c with Pioneer DEQ-S1000A DSP amp. Now, these speakers impedance is rated as 3Ω and Pioneer Specs says :- Load Impedence: 4Ω (4 - 8Ω(2Ω for 1ch)allowable).

Will connecting a 3Ω speaker put an undue load on the amp. ?
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:48   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_hyd View Post
I am planning to upgrade my Creta front Speakers to JBL GTO 609c with Pioneer DEQ-S1000A DSP amp. Now, these speakers impedance is rated as 3Ω...Will connecting a 3Ω speaker put an undue load on the amp. ?
Short answer: No.

Long version:
Speaker impedance (not resistance) is dependent on frequency and this can vary from as low as 2 ohms to as high as 20 ohms for a car speaker (having a nominal impedance of 4 ohms). Note the use of the word "Nominal".

Designers of amplifiers understand this and build their amplifiers to be able to tolerate this large variance in impedance.

Hope this helps.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 23:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:

At under Rs. 12,000 the Pioneer costs less than half of it's nearest competitor the Sony-GS6DSP (Rs. 26,000). The Sony however offers not only 4.1 channels of DSP but also 45 W x 4 + 300W x 1 channels amplification so is a 'more complete' "one-box" solution than the Pioneer.
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/c...iers/xm-gs6dsp
My question- how good does the Pioneer DSP sound, as compared to higher end devices like the Audison Bit Ten D? I already have a high end speaker, amplifer, and sub setup (Rainbow iPaul 4 ch + Rainbow Beat 2 playing in bridged mode fir the sub + Flux Audio Spirit Series 2-way components for the front stage + Rainbow Dreamline coax speakers for rear fill + Rainbow Dreamline 12" sub) from my old car, and am looking to install these in my Marazzo, once it is delivered, with a DSP to provide clean output from the OEM HU to my amps. Do I really need more than the Pioneer DSP?
Old 29th October 2018, 11:57   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
My question- how good does the Pioneer DSP sound, as compared to higher end devices like the Audison Bit Ten D?
To be honest I have NOT heard one yet. I can assume that it may not compete with an Audison or Mosconi but it is not built for that market.

The Pioneer is built for a budget oriented customer as can be determined from the rather paltry amplifier section it has. It will help smaller installs but if you are investing 1L or more for amplifiers and speakers then you may be better served by a more upmarket DSP.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 19:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest I have NOT heard one yet. I can assume that it may not compete with an Audison or Mosconi but it is not built for that market.

The Pioneer is built for a budget oriented customer as can be determined from the rather paltry amplifier section it has. It will help smaller installs but if you are investing 1L or more for amplifiers and speakers then you may be better served by a more upmarket DSP.
Thanks Navin- very useful advice. I was told something similar by my installer and am in the process of zeroing in on a better DSP. I've recommended one from Mosconi and one from Ground Zero, with the feedback being that the GZ is slightly better. The cost of both is in the Rs 40k range
Old 15th November 2018, 16:39   #38
BHPian

Great Advice Navin. As you have pointed out that Sony DSP sounds harsh: So would you suggest some matching Warm sounding speakers to neutralise that for the best effect in similar budget.??
Old 25th November 2018, 18:04   #39
BHPian

Thanks Navin for such a good post. Yes indeed this product from Pioneer is a step in right direction, as it brings the DSP right in the middle of average budget that one allocates to ICE.
Based on this post only, I have recently changed to Digipad 1.0 + Pioneer DSP + Amplifier + Component Speakers in my Honda City. I have not listened to this new arrangement for a long time, so cannot comment on the actual sound effects of the system. And as per Motor Concepts Speakers will need to be run in for few hours for getting the right sound.

I am not very sure of it, but have to read more of the settings of this DSP and its corresponding Android App for its true capabilities. I will update in a few days.
sensible_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 08:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

I picked this up from an Aliexpress sale and am waiting for delivery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...3a8d50cf3ffNqd

The spec looks impressive for the price, especially with the Black Friday discount (got it for $132)
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 11:17   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible_driver View Post
I have recently changed to Digipad 1.0 + Pioneer DSP + Amplifier + Component Speakers in my Honda City.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a Digipad 1.0?

Do let us know how the Pioneer worked for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I picked this up from an Aliexpress sale and am waiting for delivery.
Never heard of the brand.
Old 26th November 2018, 11:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never heard of the brand.
Neither have I. The spec looks good and it had decent reviews (at least the previous generation of this product that I'd ordered had decent reviews).

The specs at least do beat quite a few other products on the market at the moment.

Out Power:90W*4
Frequency Range (Hz):20Hz-20KHz
Impedance:4OHM
Signal To Noise Ratio:105DB
Audio Sensitivity:0

31 segment EQ floating point tuner
Independent channel adjustment delay
4 input / 6 output points for signal
Bluetooth 4.0

Well, it should be worth a try.
Old 26th November 2018, 11:33   #43
BHPian

Hi Navin, Ohh my mistake Digipad is the original stock ICE given by Honda on City 2017.
sensible_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 11:34   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Neither have I. The specs at least do beat quite a few other products on the market at the moment.

Well, it should be worth a try.
Spec sheets are hardly a guide to how a product sounds. I al old school, I prefer brick and mortar so I can take the product back if I don't like it.
Old 26th November 2018, 11:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spec sheets are hardly a guide to how a product sounds. I al old school, I prefer brick and mortar so I can take the product back if I don't like it.
Fair enough. I'm a bit of a guinea pig, willing to take some things on trust. A higher rating and multiple non fake looking positive reviews on Aliexpress, plus other indications of good spec and build quality make me willing to take a chance.

I got a pretty decent bluetooth speaker from Anker on Aliexpress for my laptop a few months back. It wasn't a purchase I've had to regret as yet. Excellent build and good sound quality.

Most Viewed