Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2018, 16:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can try this. May help you.

It is sold out currently, you can contact Carplus and see if they can help you out.

http://www.carplus.in/mahindra/scorp...-scorpio-13089
I contacted Saravana Prabhu of Power Zone (1 Whites Road, Chennai opposite the EA mall and you need to approach from General Patters Road due to the one way) and he sourced the harness for Rs 2200, and installed it.

The first challenge was finding which was the input and which the output - it was all labeled in Chinese, but an app called Waygo let me scan the Chinese label and come up with an English translation.

The DSP unit was clamped under the glove box and wiring done after the Scorpio harness was connected to its bare wires. After that it was a simple matter of plug and play into the Scorpio HU, with no wire cutting.

Then a USB cable was connected from the DSP to a laptop and the installation software in the accompanying CD was used to tune the DSP after the Scorpio HU's own equalizer was set to "normal" so it would feed an unaltered signal to the DSP unit.

The tuning was straightforward according to Prabhu, and he was impressed with the features available at $141 on this unit. Some photos of the software which seems to come in Windows and Android versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-3764afac360545bcb691b1b331907b7a.jpeg  

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-eeb84e55c91c43c9b15e96375bf94d0e.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 11:13   #62
BHPian

For people looking for the Sony XM-GS6DSP there is a good offer on Flipkart going on right now for rs 17999 https://www.flipkart.com/sony-xm-gs6...mfd3jtypbbxsfz
Dramitn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:44   #63
BANNED

Dayton Audio DSP-408 = 4 input x 8 output DSP for Home and Car Audio

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-dsp408_photo_1.jpg

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-dsp408_photo_2.jpg

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-dsp408_photo_5.jpg

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-dsp408_photo_6.jpg

Product Highlights
  • 10 band parametric equalizer per channel
  • High and low shelf EQ per channel
  • Variable crossovers: High/Low/Band-Pass slopes 0-24dB, Linkwitz Riley/Butterworth/Bessel
  • Time delay: 0 to 277 cm or 8.1471 ms adjustable in 1 cm steps
  • Input/Output mixing to customize the signal path
  • Phase adjustment
  • Customizable name/ID for each preset
  • Minimum/maximum voltage protection
  • Load, save, recall, or delete preset files
  • Software controllable level attenuation on the preamp and high-level inputs
  • Reverse voltage protection
  • Mute circuit and delay

SOURCE
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 15:32   #64
BHPian

Thanks a lot Navin Sir for this wonderful and very informative thread. It was an eye opener for amateurs like me that DSPs existed for such a price point.

Over the past month and a half, I had been contemplating on upgrading the sound on my Scorpio as the OEM sound was just dreadful and boring. Was also planning a road trip from Guwahati to Bhutan towards the end of March and was determined to get the sound sorted before that. So off I went to the local car accessories shops loaded with information attained after weeks of going through the T-BHP ICE threads. To my utter disappointment, my experience was far below expectation and I realized that Guwahati (my city) is still a very primitive market. I even inquired that if I get the equipments, would the installer install everything, to which they replied in the negative. None of the stores I inquired (around 15) were even aware of the term 'damping'.

After much research & loitering around, finally found a shop where the owner seemed to be in the know. He agreed on carrying out the installation along with damping but insisted that I procure the speakers from his store. I agreed and finally ordered the Sony XM GS6DSP online as it was available at a discounted price of Rs.16,199/-. Thanks a lot to Dramitn who pointed out the discount in his post; else it would have cost me Rs.10,000/- extra. The DSP finally arrived on the 23rd of March; and I was leaving for a trip to Bhutan on 24th.

Immediately on receiving the Sony DSP, I headed to the accessory store to get my Scorpio ICE upgraded. Handed him over the DSP & he got it installed along with JBL Stadium GTO 600C components & JBL Stadium GTO 930 6x9 in the boot (this is the best available locally, with brands such as polk/focal, etc. unavailable here) along with CTK damping of front doors & the boot. It took him a good 6-7 hours to complete the install and his workmanship nothing to complain about as I was anyways short of options.

The Sony XM GS6DSP is just incredible and very versatile. I am using it to power my components & 6x9s without an Amp. Although I am not using a Sub in my present setup, but it has room to connect a sub upto 600RMS in bridged mode. The quality of sound has increased by leaps & bounds, with each and every note audible crystal clear. The real fun starts when you bypass the HU and connect to the DSP directly over BT. The entire setup just comes to life. The bass & depth provided by the 6x9 are adequate presently, and the lust for even more base can be quenched by acquiring a sub at a later date. The default sound in this setup is a touch on the brighter side, but that can be easily compensated by clipping the higher frequencies using the Sony mobile app for the DSP.

Overall, I am a very delighted customer of the Sony DSP, and I am really thankful to this thread in making the common man come to terms with such equipment.
Bineet_D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
For people looking for the Sony XM-GS6DSP there is a good offer on Flipkart going on right now for rs 17999 https://www.flipkart.com/sony-xm-gs6...mfd3jtypbbxsfz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bineet_D View Post
Overall, I am a very delighted customer of the Sony DSP, and I am really thankful to this thread in making the common man come to terms with such equipment.
I too just bought the Sony GS6 DSP at the mouth watering discount . What a awesome find . Thank you Dramitn for the info that you provided . Two souls have been blessed .

I am yet to get this connected in my car . Will get it connected over the weekend

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2022 at 05:16. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
gautamkhadse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 16:57   #66
BHPian

I have installed Pioneer DEQ S100A DSP in my Ford Freestyle. I am able to do the settings like fader, equaliser, time alignment except source calibration. While I try to do the source calibration through Pioneer Sound Tune app, I get error code 506 and source calibration stops there. I have kept audio file for source calibration in USB drive which is connected to HU. One 4 channel amplifier and one monoblock is connected to DSP. I hope some one has installed this DSP and can help me with this error code.

Already tried with two different iPhones, same error code displayed on Sound Tune app on both the phones. Not able to find troubleshooting for this error code in FAQ section in Sound Tune app and Pioneer website (India and Europe).

It is not that sound quality is really bad without source calibration, however purpose of DSP is being forfeited if I continue using this setup without source calibration.

Last edited by Alfa_Romeo1 : 7th May 2019 at 17:12. Reason: Some grammatical errors
Old 8th May 2019, 15:04   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Romeo1 View Post
I have installed Pioneer DEQ S100A DSP in my Ford Freestyle. I am able to do the settings like fader, equaliser, time alignment except source calibration. While I try to do the source calibration through Pioneer Sound Tune app, I get error code 506 and source calibration stops there. I have kept audio file for source calibration in USB drive which is connected to HU. One 4 channel amplifier and one monoblock is connected to DSP. .
Hi, I am running the dsp through pretty much the same set up and have gone through the source calibration with the audio file on a pen drive. i did not get this error. have you tried re setting the dsp via the reset button?
please also check what format of calibration file you have downloaded, there is option for .mp3 and .wav. you could also check if the audio routing is in the car stereo mode where the signal is routed through the dsp and does not bypass it. Default mode after leaving the DSP powered off overnight sometimes is through mode. Hope this helps.
lilMonSter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 16:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
please also check what format of calibration file you have downloaded, there is option for .mp3 and .wav. you could also check if the audio routing is in the car stereo mode where the signal is routed through the dsp and does not bypass it. Default mode after leaving the DSP powered off overnight sometimes is through mode. Hope this helps.
Thanks lilMonSter for your reply.

Actually after researching on internet, I found out what this error code is all about. I have to increase volume while doing source calibration.

Below link will help to troubleshoot the error codes:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...000A#downloads
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DEQ-S1000A_Calibrating_Instructions_11152018.pdf (2.47 MB, 383 views)
Alfa_Romeo1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 17:54   #69
BHPian

Is this site worth relying upon for purchasing Sony GS6DSP?
https://www.motorogue.in/products/am...xm-gs6dsp.html

ith a shade over 15K, it is cheaper than flipkart.
Old 15th May 2019, 23:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhav22 View Post

I purchased it for 15499 on Flipkart, which I feel is a good price courtesy their Special price offers.

Am now looking for matching 5.25 inch components in the front doors and matching 6*9 coaxials in the rear parcel tray.
Hudson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 14:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I purchased it for 15499 on Flipkart, which I feel is a good price courtesy their Special price offers.

Am now looking for matching 5.25 inch components in the front doors and matching 6*9 coaxials in the rear parcel tray.
Please let me know where you plan to get it installed form . I tried to go with installation at one of the shops in Baner and he just wasnt able to get it to work .

Are you planning to get it installed from Car Cupid ?

Car Cupid asked me to get a combination of Hertz component in the front 165.3 something and Hertz energy series 6x9 in the parcel tray

The components for 6 k and ovals for 9 k .

If you find a better deal please let me know andlet me know where you get it installed form . We can probably get it installed together and work up a deal with the shop .
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:29   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Please let me know where you plan to get it installed form .
I was planning to go with JBL Gto's or similar speakers & have it installed at Poona motors. Carax/Bhandari auto could also be considered.

Right now the DSP is still in the box unopened as a bit busy with office & family commitments. Choice of speakers and getting an installer are two pending items.

Hopefully will see some action in June.
Old 29th May 2019, 11:30   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhav22 View Post
Is this site worth relying upon for purchasing Sony GS6DSP?
https://www.motorogue.in/products/am...xm-gs6dsp.html

I just read this on Crutchfield and this makes me sad .

Not what it's marketed as. DSP is useless.
Andrew from Grand Rapids, MI on 4/12/2019

Verified customer
(What's this?)
Less than thrilled. The DSP feature leaves a ton to be desired. In order to use it you need to turn off the high pass filter and set the low pass filter to 50 hz. Then when you use the DSP feature in the app you literally have zero control over the crossover points on the high pass

Pros: Small footprint

Cons: DSP requires use of a quirky app. No control over crossover points. This mids are under powered.

Crutchfield response on 5/7/2019
We're sorry that you didn't completely dig the Sony DSP. One of our Tech Support gurus, Jason, tested this item and confirms that Sony did set up the DSP that way you mentioned. We're providing feedback to Sony directly, so they can evaluate it further.

Original LInk : https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS6...XM-GS6DSP.html
gautamkhadse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 13:00   #74
BHPian

so what does this mean ? I have recently purchased the same Sony Amp DSP

I am unable to understand what are the limitations
Old 29th May 2019, 15:22   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
so what does this mean ? I have recently purchased the same Sony Amp DSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I just read this on Crutchfield and this makes me sad .
Here is the manual.
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/s.../D6271001M.pdf

Refer to page 14.
If you are sending 2 channels to the amp and are expecting it to produce 4.1 channels from the 2 channels using the DSP then you have the above limitations.

If you are not using the DSP part then you can use it in pure 6 channel mode.

If you are using the DSP then you will have a fixed Low Pass filter (50Hz) and high pass filter. But you can use the music center to set the time alignment.

You should be able to use it in 5 ch. mode with time alignment but with a fixed XO of 50Hz (see 3:17 in the video). I don't know why Sony did this but that's the limitation.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed