Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2019, 17:27   #76
BHPian

Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Thank you @navin

Currently I do not have any plans to use a Sub, so what setup should I go with the above Amp to be able to use the DSP

I have already purchased Morel Comps & Coax

@Bineet_D - what setup are you using with Sony XMGSDSP in your Scorpio ?
Old 30th May 2019, 11:22   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I purchased it for 15499 on Flipkart, which I feel is a good price courtesy their Special price offers.
Thanks! Replicated the purchase and in parallel came to know from a collegue that motorouge site is fine too. Flipkart had only 10 day warranty as Sony does not provide 2 year warranty for online purchases. Hence got it installed same day. Product came in lousy packing inside, oct'18 manufactured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I just read this on Crutchfield and this makes me sad.
This is true and I came to know of it hard way, i.e. during installation. Though it lowered the joy but it is an incredible product still. Specially for people like me who had tried numerous combinations in Linea to retain stock headunit. Hope I had known of it a bit earlier. Thanks Navin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
so what does this mean ? I have recently purchased the same Sony Amp DSP
Another way of stating limitation is that if you have bough it primarily for DSP functionality, phase shift etc. than you can not use 5th and 6th channel (woofer). If you use 5/6 channel for woofer you loose bluetooth connectivity making DSP controls out of bounds as they can only be done using bluetooth/mobile app.

Quote:
Thank you @navin
Currently I do not have any plans to use a Sub, so what setup should I go with the above Amp to be able to use the DSP
You can use first 2 channels for components, 3&4 for speakers at back, 5&6 paired for subwoofer. There many mor combinations possible and the booklet will guide you.

The best part for Linea users is that it integrates 3 separate functionalities for 15K, high to low (as it takes direct high output), amplifier for 4 channels, atleast 300W rms amplifier for subwoofer (as good as second amp in the car).

Output is fantastic, specially for sub. No hissing, no noise, pure music!!!

(To use DSP/bluetooth, I not only have to sacrifice the subwoofer output but also connecting mobile to blue and me for calls as mobile can connect to one bluetooth device at a time)

Last edited by ampere : 1st June 2019 at 17:29. Reason: Compacted quoted post
anubhav22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 12:06   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhav22 View Post
This is true and I came to know of it hard way, i.e. during installation. Though it lowered the joy but it is an incredible product still.

Another way of stating limitation is that if you have bough it primarily for DSP functionality, phase shift etc. than you can not use 5th and 6th channel (woofer). If you use 5/6 channel for woofer you loose bluetooth connectivity making DSP controls out of bounds as they can only be done using bluetooth/mobile app.

(To use DSP/bluetooth, I not only have to sacrifice the subwoofer output but also connecting mobile to blue and me for calls as mobile can connect to one bluetooth device at a time)
One option was to use 4 channels for the front (active) and 2 channels for the rear speakers (passive). But then you lose all the DSP options of time alignment.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 13:08   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @navin

I have already purchased Morel Comps & Coax

@Bineet_D - what setup are you using with Sony XMGSDSP in your Scorpio ?

Hello,

To make use of the DSP, I am using the Amp as prescribed by the user manual. I'm not using a Sub as of now, only Comps in front & Ovals at the rear.

I'm facing a hissing sound when connected via the HU, but when I'm directly connected to the Amp by BT, the sound is crystal clear & is pure joy. This might be due to my Scorpio HU not having RCA/pre-out (as gathered from T-BHP forums, I'm a pure noob & very new to ICE ).

Regards,
Bineet
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-fullsizeoutput_9e0d.jpeg  

Attached Images

Old 30th May 2019, 13:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:

(To use DSP/bluetooth, I not only have to sacrifice the sub woofer output but also connecting mobile to blue and me for calls as mobile can connect to one bluetooth device at a time)
oh this is sort of a deal breaker then, if someone is particular about using this Sony XM GS6DSP device keeping the DSP feature in mind.

I cannot compromise on not connecting my Phone Bluetooth to the head unit for Android auto, that is the primary requirement for me.

Anyways since I have no option to return the device, I will use it as a 6 channel Amp and will consider adding a Sub woofer at a later stage.

I am now confused if I need to go for the Dayton DSP or Change the factory head unit to a Pioneer one which supports Android Auto & Car Play

The Pioneer DSP S1000A does not have great reviews hence skipping it.

thanks again Anubav & Navin again for all your inputs..

Last edited by Kanasu : 30th May 2019 at 13:26.
Old 31st May 2019, 06:59   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bineet_D View Post
I'm facing a hissing sound when connected via the HU, but when I'm directly connected to the Amp by BT, the sound is crystal clear & is pure joy. This might be due to my Scorpio HU not having RCA/pre-out (as gathered from T-BHP forums, I'm a pure noob & very new to ICE
Please check the following:
1. The speaker out from head unit is connected to High Level Input (and not line input connector)
2. You have used the white connector that connects wires directly to head unit (and not the one which has RCA connectors that can introduce noise)
3. Check/replace the wires running from head unit to amplifier, keep them away from power cable. Also ensure you are using the provided rubber shield for the power wires connected at amplifier.

All my struggle with hissing noise has been resolved after I moved to this amp. (Linea too has only speaker out and due to high to low converter, lot of noise was getting introduced so can confirm it might not be due to what you suspect)

Quote:
oh this is sort of a deal breaker then, if someone is particular about using this Sony XM GS6DSP device keeping the DSP feature in mind.
OK. So here it is: If one has to play music only through bluetooth from his mobile and also use mobile for taking calls, then and then only it should be a deal breaker.
One can configure DSP and then connect back to car headunit's bluetooth (DSP would not need change every now and then)
I would consider sub woofer output rms as the biggest USP of this amp (in addition to 4X45W for speakers) along with high level input

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2019 at 09:07. Reason: Fixed broken quote.
anubhav22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 17:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Please check the following:
1. The speaker out from head unit is connected to High Level Input (and not line input connector)
2. You have used the white connector that connects wires directly to head unit (and not the one which has RCA connectors that can introduce noise)
3. Check/replace the wires running from head unit to amplifier, keep them away from power cable. Also ensure you are using the provided rubber shield for the power wires connected at amplifier.
Hi,

I've planned a visit to the installer on Monday to get it checked. I hope being a professional installer, he must have done it the right way, but you never know. If connections are correct, should I replace the wires connecting the AMP to the HU?

Actually, hissing is one problem which I think might be caused by proximity of wires to the power cables; but the larger problem is absolute dip in sound quality when playing music thru the HU. The sound comes out muffled, along with the hissing noise. When connected directly to the AMP over BT, the sound is just wonderful, just the way I'd want it to be. But that means I'm unable to attend or make calls using the handsfree. That is a real pain in day to day routine drives.

Would update once I get back from the installer on Monday. Else have to go for change of stock HU to an aftermarket one, but that would defeat the purpose of going for this product in the first place.

Cheers,
Bineet
Old 2nd June 2019, 15:16   #83
BHPian

alright I got my ICE setup done for my Brezza, music quality has huge difference compared to stock setup but somehow I am not happy with the output, just do not know why

I am now doubting if the installer knew how to setup & tune the
Sony XM GS6DSP with Morel speakers, I had no intentions of adding a Sub but decided to go for it and Installed a JL 10 inch Sub and the installer setup it up as a 6 Channel amp.

Below is the wiring and settings on the Amp, if someone can verify is this is the correct setup ?

He said I cannot use the DSP since the setup is on 6 channel with Sub being used.

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-wiring.jpg

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-amp-settings.jpg
Old 2nd June 2019, 15:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Specially for people like me who had tried numerous combinations in Linea to retain stock headunit.

The best part for Linea users is that it integrates 3 separate functionalities for 15K, high to low (as it takes direct high output), amplifier for 4 channels, atleast 300W rms amplifier for subwoofer (as good as second amp in the car).
Thanks for the update. Which model of Linea are you referring to? Is this the one with the Daiichi OEM head unit with Touchscreen, GPS and UConnect Bluetooth streaming or the older one with Blue & Me connectivity. Does your HU have pre-outs?

In general, if OEM Head unit has pre-outs, are they also “equalised” outputs or are they unprocessed signals. Is it better to use them instead of the speaker level high line outputs for DSP/Amps?
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:58   #85
BHPian

Quote:
alright I got my ICE setup done for my Brezza, music quality has huge difference compared to stock setup but somehow I am not happy with the output, just do not know why

Sony XM GS6DSP with Morel speakers, I had no intentions of adding a Sub but decided to go for it and Installed a JL 10 inch Sub and the installer setup it up as a 6 Channel amp.

Below is the wiring and settings on the Amp, if someone can verify is this is the correct setup ?

He said I cannot use the DSP since the setup is on 6 channel with Sub being used.

Attachment 1881084

Attachment 1881085
@navin @anubhav22 would you be able to verify & check if the setup is correct

@Bineet_D please share the wiring side picture of your Sony DSP Amp
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:25   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Hi Kanasu, I was looking at the same amp for my Ecosport and had done some research on the same.

While the wiring looks alright the issue might be something simple like the polarity of one of the speakers being reversed thereby cancelling each other out. Please get this double checked.

Regarding the DSP function. This is the interesting thing. The amp works with the DSP only for 2 input channels not 4 or 6.

On your image you can see a select knob. That is set to 6ch input which means the DSP is off. The DSP only works in 5V or 2V 2ch/BT mode.

The reason is the DSP can accept only 2 channels as input then it distributes it to 4.1 channels (4 speakers + subwoofer). With this you lose the ability to fade front and rear from the head unit.

BAsically from the head unit only the front channel speaker out or line out should go to the amp not all channels. The Amp will then process that input to give you 4 speakers and 1 sub out.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:44   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hi Kanasu, I was looking at the same amp for my Ecosport and had done some research on the same.

While the wiring looks alright the issue might be something simple like the polarity of one of the speakers being reversed thereby cancelling each other out. Please get this double checked.

Regarding the DSP function. This is the interesting thing. The amp works with the DSP only for 2 input channels not 4 or 6.

On your image you can see a select knob. That is set to 6ch input which means the DSP is off. The DSP only works in 5V or 2V 2ch/BT mode.

The reason is the DSP can accept only 2 channels as input then it distributes it to 4.1 channels (4 speakers + subwoofer). With this you lose the ability to fade front and rear from the head unit.

BAsically from the head unit only the front channel speaker out or line out should go to the amp not all channels. The Amp will then process that input to give you 4 speakers and 1 sub out.
thank you for your response

Now if I decide to retain the Amp as a 6 channel out put and not use the DSP are the settings correct on the Amp, like the High pass filter being On and the other knobs settings ?
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:56   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thank you for your response

Now if I decide to retain the Amp as a 6 channel out put and not use the DSP are the settings correct on the Amp, like the High pass filter being On and the other knobs settings ?
The MID/REAR should also have high pass enabled (left position). Currently it is in filter off.

IF you switch the filter off it will send all the low frequencies and will start jarring. Since you have the sub, all lows should go to the sub.

Also the front filter looks like it can go only till 500Hz so it might be better to switch off the HPF and reduce the level knob to see if it helps.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:18   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 1881084

Attachment 1881085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bineet_D View Post
Hello,

To make use of the DSP, I am using the Amp as prescribed by the user manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Here is the manual.
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/s.../D6271001M.pdf

Refer to page 14.
If you are sending 2 channels to the amp and are expecting it to produce 4.1 channels from the 2 channels using the DSP then you have the above limitations.

You should be able to use it in 5 ch. mode with time alignment but with a fixed XO of 50Hz (see 3:17 in the video). I don't know why Sony did this but that's the limitation.
Kanasu,

I understand that you have 4 morel speakers and a JL 10" subwoofer.

In this case you can go for the 4.1 setup used by Bineet.

Why did your installer choose the 6ch. set up?

I understand that in the 4.1 set up your HPF filters will be set via the phone application.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-sony-amp-4-ch-plus-sub-connections.jpg  

navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:02   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Kanasu,

I understand that you have 4 morel speakers and a JL 10" subwoofer.

In this case you can go for the 4.1 setup used by Bineet.

Why did your installer choose the 6ch. set up?

I understand that in the 4.1 set up your HPF filters will be set via the phone application.
Yes, I have the below setup with the Sony DSP Amp

Morel Tempo Components
Morem Maximo Coaxial
JL Audio 10W0v3 Subs

As mentioned earlier, towards the end of the installation, I was in doubt if the installer knew the correct way to setup this Amp since it is a versatile Amp.

From the installation wiring pic which I posted above, I am not sure if he has set it up for 4.1 channel (as shown in the manual), I can see he has connected wires to High Level socket & also to Front/med/rear socket, is this correct setup what he has done ?

I have no idea why he chose the 6 Ch setup, will have to go back to him and clarify, I am complete noob in ICE setups :(

should have gone for a better Installer like Anwar (even though on the expensive side)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks